Unreleased recordings you'd most like to hear

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

The Shangi-Las story in your link is interesting...but the most interesting part to me is tangetial to the Shangri-Las': According to that piece, Michael Brown (ex Left Banke) and Andy Paley wrote a bunch of songs together. Wish I could hear those.

The last Michael Brown material I have heard is the 1976 Beckies album on Sire, which is a swell pure pop album. There's gotta be something else...

Kwad

2. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Steely Dan's "I Got The Bear" and whatever exists of "The Second Arrangement"! :D

3. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

I'd love to hear anything Sly Stone has recorded in the last 15 years!

4. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'd most like to hear outakes from the Nashville "Blonde on Blonde" sessions. Someone at Columbia has confirmed the existence of these closely guarded tapes.

I'd also like to hear the tapes of the one-afternoon "Under the Red Sky" recording session between Bob and NRBQ. The first song Dylan sang was "Some Enchanted Evening" !

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

buffalo springfield - stampede

6. BRILLIANT suggestion. Similarly, a boxed set of Warren Zevon demos for himself and other people might be nice.

The demos that the Cars have released on recent reissues were terrific. Maybe they are due for a demos box treatment, a la Jellyfish or XTC's 'Coat Of Many Cupboards'.

7. Beatles related

I have the 2 cd's by Barry Tashian's abnd The Remains, and they are wonderful, sort of a more dexterous version of the Chocolate Watchband.

What if, when audience recordings were made of the Beatles' last US tour, someone taped most of or all of the show? THe Remains played, then they backed the Ronettes.

when I met Barry a few years back (he was promoting his book) I got so caught up in the moment I neglected to ask him if there were any live tapes! I am sure he's more interested in promoting his husband & wife duet bluegrass material these days anyway!

8. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

I read about this in Rolling Stone a few months ago and they said it sounds horrible, but I would love to hear the Beatles Memphis '66 concert just for historical value.
    Just thought of this as I was typing, The Phil Spector Christmas Album in STEREO. I heard "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" in stereo once on one of Dick Bartley's sydicated radio shows and it blew me away! I kept panning the balance on my car radio to see if I was hearing what I thought I was hearing. I had just come to a stop in my garage and was about to turn of the engine when I heard the song come on. I noticed something was different right away. I could not believe it! I don't know where he got it, but I was in aural nirvana for the next two minutes.

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Mick Jagger recorded tracks with the The Red Devils that was rumored to be knock-your-socks-off blues rock, but I haven't heard any of it. The combination is exciting; I'd happily pay full-price for an EP of material. And whatever happened to The Red Devils?

Prince collaborated with Miles Davis on several tracks, which were to be included on Davis's COMPLETE WARNER BROTHERS RECORDINGS box. Prince wouldn't sign off, the box was cancelled, and the tracks remain unreleased.

Neil Young's "safe" follow-up to HARVEST, HOMEGROWN(?), was recorded, pressed, but yanked by Young at the last possible moment. I don't know how much of its material was cannibalized for other albums.

10. kwadguy

The Pavillion issue of the Christmas album (vinyl, early '80s) was in stereo.

Kwad

11. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Or how about the "follow up" to the unreleased Homegrown, the album with mostly geographical references, including the following songs: "Kansas," "Mediterranean," "Florida" and "Frozen Man"?

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Wonder if that was tied to his contract dispute back then. I'd buy that box set if it ever came out. IIRC, didn't Miles only have five albums for Warner? I'm thinking Tutu, Amandla, Doo-Bop, Siesta (a soundtrack) and the live set with Quincy Jones?

13. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's around,I've had a tape of it for about 18 years.It's not very good,but I'd still like to hear a better copy.The copy circulating sounds like whoever leaked it intentally distorted it. It's a lot better than Eye Of The Zombie,which I since heard Fogerty has now renounced...

14. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Interesting...would this be the "Freeze Out" track (electric Visions of Johanna). I have that and it sounds fantastic. But other Blonde outtakes I'd love to here!

Also 27-minute Helter Skelter, obviously :love:

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Just out of morbid curiosity, I'd like to hear the one song that Phil Spector produced with Celine Dion before the sessions ran amuck. Could it be any more bombastic than "It's All Coming Back to Me Now," produced by Jim Steinman?

Sheryl Crow's shelved debut album -- I know it's been bootlegged, but I don't do bootlegs.

"All the King's Horses" by the Bee Gees -- the one Brothers Gibb original for which a Bee Gees recording is known to exist that is missing from Brilliant From Birth, the most complete compilation of their Australia years (again, I've heard it's been bootlegged).

16. fathom

fathom Senior Member

I'd like to hear the Rolling Stones session of the song "Some Girls". Supposedly they kept making up increasingly filthy verses until it was clearly unreleasable.

17. spot1019

spot1019 Forum Resident

I thought YES had Roy-Thomas Baker producing an album for them, but the project was abandonned at some point. I think this may have been shortly
    before Anderson left and the Buggles dudes came in.

I'd love for R.E.M. to put out a disc of cover songs they have done. Many of their B-sides are covers, but they have done a wide range in concert too.
    (I'd love to have a recording from when I once saw them do 'Have You Ever Seen the Rain').

18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Just curious Tim...why don't you listen to bootlegs?

Chris

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Anyone know if the proposed 1967 Rolling Stones single 'English Summer' was actually recorded?

Chris

20. kwadguy

Somewhere--and I haven't been able to locate it for a long time, but it's around--I have a genuine pre-release cassette from A&M of the unreleased debut album. Got it long before anyone knew who Sheryl Crow was (no doubt as to authenticity). If you "don't do bootlegs", you could search for one of these pre-release cassettes. I don't know how many exist, though.

Kwad

21. kwadguy

Along the lines of the boatload of Randy Newman demos that someone suggested, I'd also love to see all the unreleased Elton John material from early in his career released. There are tons of unreleased demos from early in his career (some have been booted, but I imagine not all have).

Kwad

22. Ian

Ian Active Member

It would be nice to see The Stones BBC sessions finally turn up. IIRC it was supposed to be out in late '97 or '98, but never arrived. Does anyone know what happened to that?
    The Stones have a large enough back catalogue of unreleased material they could do one heck of a boxed set.

23. Angel

Angel New Member

The Rolling Stones and Chuck Berry jamming at Chess Records in the 1960's.

24. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

1963's Bob Dylan in Concert (with all the songs recorded at both concerts included).

Richard.

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

More of a philosophical thing than anything else.

It's also an expensive hobby; when I've seen boots, they've always been more expensive than legitimate releases, and for what? You don't know from where, or from whom, they are coming. You can't always be sure with a record company release, either, but at least the odds are better...

Those few boots I do own all are on vinyl, and all of them came from either yard sales or flea markets where I paid 50 cents or less each for them. One I do own is LIVEr Than You'll Ever Be by the Rolling Stones, and it's very good... I also own the "gray area" Beatles boots The Original Greatest Hits and Alpha Omega, but each of them was sold through "mainstream" means (the former still has a Sears, Roebuck price tag on it, the latter was sold via TV ads).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.