Unreleased recordings you'd most like to hear

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Jan 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

As tantalizing as that would be, from what I can tell, STAMPEDE was never really a BS project, but the result of over-enthusiasm at ATCO for a follow-up to BS / BS.

While cover art was mocked up for STAMPEDE, there's no evidence of a BS compilation of tracks for that title. What has appeared under that title as a boot has included an assortment of demos, outtakes, unreleased tunes and a live performance. (Except for the concert recording at Whittier High School, most of the rest appeared on the box.)

What was released, of course, was BS Again.

2. the 801

the 801 New Member

'Toy' -- David Bowie's shelved album of covers and remakes of his early material.

Some of it has crept out as b-sides and re-recordings for 'Heathen' and 'Reality'...

3. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

In 1997, according to both Bob Seger and his manager, there were plans for another live album taken from shows in 1977. I'd love to hear a complete show from that era, warts and all, but I'll settle for whatever they decide to release.

4. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

Id have to go with:

SMiLE
    Helter Skelter unedited
    She's Gone - Daryl Hall & Lewis Taylor

5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

SMiLE, of course.

The tracks we've all heard are, of course, phenomenal - a really brilliant and original work. But we can only speculate as to final sequencing and segues, and the overall shape of the completed work.

As powerful as the music is, had Brian sequenced and finished it at the time, it could not but have been a thoroughly compelling listen.

The question is how it would have been received at the time, and what kind of impact it might have had on the icons of studio music back then, particularly the Beatles.

There is little doubt - is there? - that long-term, it would have been acknowledged as a major work - transcending traditional musical boundaries - and received its just due.

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Well put. What's frustrating about Smile for me is the sessions we know occured but just haven't turned up in the vaults. Of course Smile wasn't finshed but I want to hear songs BW was working on in there 'most complete' '66-'67 state. Going by the original session documents we can be nearly certain that

1) A group vocal session for Surf's Up was held at Columbia on 12/15/66

2) A Surf's Up session was held at Western on 1/23/67 featuring a string section in addition to Hal Blaine, Lyle Ritz, Roy Caton and others. Photographs of this session are in the Look, Liten, Vibrate, Smile book.

Verse vocals for Child is the Father of the Man were likely held (unless it took 3 seperate sessions to record the chrous vocals). Also, a group vocal session for I'm in Great Shape was done in '66 but hasn't turned up in the vaults raids yet:(

Chris

7. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Top of my list also!

I would also like to hear anything resembling a finished Smile.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Funny then that he let Dreamworks reissue Zombie a couple of years ago. Usually when he disowns an album, we never hear from it again (ala his Asylum debut).

Have to agree on Hoodoo, it's hardly prime Fogerty, but there are a couple of songs there that showed potential. I'd love to hear him re-do "Between The Lines."

As for unreleased recordings, if it exists, I'd love to hear a tape of the rehearsal session with Paul McCartney's early 90's touring band and NRBQ bassist Joey Spampinato filling in for Hamish Stuart. I've seen pictures, and heard stories of Macca trying to figure out how Joey gets that "standup" sound out of his Jerry Jones bass, it'd be great to hear what they came up with.

9. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Beck, Bogert & Appice--BBA II (reviewed in Circus Magazine--never released)
    Beach Boys---Adult Child, California Feeling, Add Some Music
    Kinks---Four More Respected Gentlemen

10. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Chris - Since, in general, the BB vaults have been pretty well maintained, it makes you wonder where these lost sessions might be. But I think the unheard versions / sessions are just the half of it.

Can you imagine hearing one of Brian's dj sessions, where he would sequence large chunks of SMiLE music at his listening parties by swapping out different acetates to provide each section of SMiLE?

While he never performed it the same way twice, (Unless this is all a myth), those SMiLE parties would seem to be the best indication of his intent.

While there are some sequences that seem logical and generally accepted, such as opening with OUR PRAYER right into H & V (I didn't invent that, did I?), I don't think any of Brian's intentions have been revealed.

This is, of course, is one of the things that makes the SMILE tour so interesting.

11. mjb

mjb Senior Member

That takes the cake in my book, both from a musical perspective and a "wow-you'll-never-see-anything-like-that-again" novelty-esque perspective...

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Well, from what I've read the Brother vaults were kind of mess. They still may be a mess but they were supposedly doing some archiving recently. With all the bonus tracks on the two-fer and the rare stuff on the GV box they must have an idea where stuff is but I think there is still lots of stuff not cataloged. Many of the tracks on Hawthorne, CA were discovered in a vault search made specifically for that project. It wasn't like thye had been sitting on Dennis's A Time to Live in Dreams and the Wild Honey outake Lonley Days all this time.

Also, some of the vocal multitracks that were never mixed might still be in the Columbia vaults and not the Brother vaults. Many Smile experts think some of the missing lead vocals (Child is the Father, Do You Like Worms, etc) are somewhere at Columbia. IIRC the vault people have the tape log # of the Good Vibrations vocal tracks but they can't find it.

I spoke to one of the guys that worked on the Smile portion Good Vibrations box and he said there were stacks of Heroes and Villians multitracks they didn't get a chance to audition. Who knows what's on those tapes since Heroes and Villians was tinkered with more than any song in the history of songs:laugh:

Chris

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd like to hear Van Halen sans DLR playing on Kiss' Gene Simmons's Love Gun demos.

14. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Added to Chris' post is that several Smile multis and Brian Wilson mixes are missing, and it's going to take intensive searching to find and catalog what may or may not exist. The master tape of Wonderful on the GV set disappeared around 1988-1989 from the vaults and a copy had to be used on the box set. Other songs appear to exist only in acetate form unless a search finds the multis. I shudder at the Who and Hendrix tapes thrown out of Olympic Studios only to be retrieved and later sold:( . Hopefully, the same has not happened to some of the missing Smile tapes.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

How about more details? What's the story on tapes from Olympic Studios??!

Kwad

16. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Olympic Tapes

Here's what I've picked up over the years and in Clinton Heylin's Bootleg book. When Olympic Studios was being refurbished by whomever bought it, master tapes from the studio were thrown into a trash bin. Someone, either workers, former Olympic employees, or passersby retrieved the tapes and later sold them at Sothebys Auction House. The tapes that have surfaced include Jimi Hendrix's work on Axis Bold As Love and I think Are You Experienced. A reel of Led Zeppelin outtakes from the first album appeared consisting of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (2 takes), You Shook Me, and Baby Come On Home (3 takes, announced as Tribute to Bert Berns!) along with some untitled instrumentals. The most famous of all were the tapes from the Who's aborted Lifehouse project from their New York sessions. Most of these Who tracks appeared on the Who's Next 1990s and 2000s reissues after the Who's management tracked down the person who had the tapes and asked for them back. After hearing the Who tapes on the Lifehouse At Leeds Boot, I could not believe tapes this good were simply being thrown away with no care in archiving them. I don't know if the artists whose tapes were thrown out were contacted first to allow time to retrieve them or not. I suspect more tapes are being hoarded from the Olympic discarding much like a few multi-track Led Zeppelin concerts not in Jimmy Page's possession.

17. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Hi Reechie!
    Don't know about a tape, but Paul autographed Joey's bass, and I've seen it. It says:
    "To Guiseppi:
    Love, Paul (McCartney, that is)"

Cool!

18. cdice

cdice New Member

Flint

The second/follow-up album by Flint (Don Brewer/Mel Schaker/Mark Chatfield/Craig Frost) on Columbia. It's rumored to have actually been released in Denmark, of all places, then quickly pulled off the market. Just a rumor.

19. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

The final studio recordings of Harry Nilsson. He put the finishing vocals on the album tentatively titled "Papa's Got a Brown New Robe" just days before his death in '94.

"Animal Farm" has leaked out and it is a fun, fantastic track that you'd expect from Harry ten years after his last released recording... and Ringo released his version "Lay Down Your Arms" on the Nilsson Tribute album from those sessions, too.

20. Captain Groovy

I thought this was a thread for music that hasn't been booted. And even many of those tracks appeared on the Beach Boys Capitol box from '93 officially - and the rest are (cleanest) on the Dumb Angel boots from 2001...

21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Where does it say that? Most of the stuff in this thread has been booted.

22. Captain Groovy

Apologies then.

RELEASE MACCA'S COLD CUTS ALBUM. I would have said that along time ago, then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.