Unsold TV Pilots

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jul 15, 2018.

1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

We actually used to record radio shows etc things on TV on our portable cassette players.
    A different world

altaeria likes this.
  3. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

Mind you, for some programs the home recorded audio is all that remains: Audio Only

Did you keep any recordings of anything...?

And in the USA you have ATV audio who makes a profit out of it.

4. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

No I've nothing from back then. If I had then I couldn't play them as i don't have a cassette player.

5. Spiny Norman

OK, but cassette decks aren't impossible to find. I see them regularly at thrift stores, sometimes even really good brands which used to cost an arm and a leg twenty years ago.

I once nearly found the sound of a missing program that way, the BBC's bizarre sitcom "Gnomes of Dulwich", but after a long search the guy who thought he had the cassette couldn't find it anymore. :(

6. JozefK

Re-up:

7. JozefK

Poochinski (1990)

Featuring the voice of Peter Boyle as a talking, crime-solving bulldog.

paulisdead likes this.
  8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Johnny Carson as Rob Petrie. Wow.

9. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

In 1977 , the cast of "Father Knows Best" did two Specials, which served as pilots to the Networks to revive the show. Didnt happen, which is too bad, it would have been nice. The actors, after more than 10 years apart still had a lot of chemistry with each other.

10. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I couldn't quite find where to post this and it almost falls within failed pilots
    There was a brilliant series called Raines with Jeff Goldblum. Only five eps got aired I believe. Then for some reason it was pulled and the two remaining eps didn't get showed.
    I've seen all seven and it's brilliant. JG is so good, as ever, as the detective who sees the dead
    It's a beautiful series that I can't believe got cancelled so soon
    Another brilliant JG flop was tenspeed and brownshoe. This was so funny with the rather good Ben Vereen
    I couldn't find where these series should go. Here seemed about right.

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. JozefK

Tweet's Ladies of Pasadena (early 1970s)

Wiki:

Francis Ford Coppola was eager to cast Carey as Luca Brasi in The Godfather, but Carey turned down the part so he could film a television pilot called "Tweet’s Ladies of Pasadena", which was never sold or broadcast.[3] The proposed TV show starred Carey as a character named Tweet Twig, who could bring animals back from the dead.​

tweet’s ladies of pasadena – Page 2 – The Timothy Carey Experience

TWGS [The World’s Greatest Sinner] has been difficult, but not impossible to see, until recently. Much rarer is Tweet’s Ladies of Pasadena, a collection of footage, shot between 1969 and 1974, that was slated for a TV pilot in the 70s. This train wreck makes TWGS look like Citizen Kane; my first reaction was that it was unwatchable, but as it went on and I laughed hard at one and then another ridiculous scene, I couldn’t look away, always wondering what the hell he might do next. Carey stars as the roller-skating, bib-overall wearing Tweet Twig, caretaker of a menagerie of animals including goats, chickens, ducks, dogs and kittens (all of which belonged to the Carey family). Who talk. Yes, Timothy Carey made a talking animal picture, and naturally, the German Shepherd has a German accent.​

You can see a few moments of Tweet at the above link.

[​IMG]

paulisdead and swedwards1960 like this.
  12. JozefK

The Grubbs (2002)

BEFORE SHOW CAN AIR, FOX SCRUBS 'GRUBBS'

Earlier this week, with the second-season premiere of "24," Fox made the best and most eagerly awaited programming move of its entire season. This Sunday, it makes another wonderful, equally welcome move - by not presenting its previously scheduled premiere of "The Grubbs. "The show, starring Randy Quaid and Carol Kane as the heads of a hopelessly dysfunctional household (think live-action "Simpsons," but without the wit and warmth), was announced months ago as the Sunday 9:30 p.m. entry for Fox's fall season; critics previewed it in July. It was horrendous. "The Grubbs" would have gotten my vote as worst new show of the broadcast TV season, the qualifier "broadcast" eliminating "The Anna Nicole Show" from contention.​

The Grubbs (partially found unaired Fox sitcom; 2002) - The Lost Media Wiki

[​IMG]

The Grubbs (2002 Unaired FOX Pilot) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The first episode of Raines was available on a For Your Consideration (for the Emmy Awards) promo DVD, and later all 7 eps were released on iTunes - but in SD even though it was produced in HD.

If it was on iTunes in HD I’d maybe check it out.

14. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I meta television producer from England once. We started talking and I told him about the Britcoms on PBS. When I told him one of the shows was Are You Being Served he was stunned. He called it a crap tv show. I watched it a couple of times. Didn’t think it was anything worth watching again

lbangs likes this.
  15. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Man that was dumb! Thanks for sharing hahaha!

16. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

Wow! I wonder if Quaid and Kane ever allude (in character) to how they met (as seen in “The Last Detail”).

17. Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  18. Spiny Norman

No doubt, you could argue that it's a handful of jokes repeated year after year. But so was the A-Team. And AYBS? was succesful.

19. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I can honestly say I never watched the A Team. Or The Dukes of Hazard.

20. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

H.U.D. with Steve Carrell, 2000. Pre-real fame.

Lucky enough to see the NBC pilot via its writer, Steve Koren.

The funniest pilot never to air (that I've seen) - think Police Squad the tv series only quicker and more Marx Bros. style. And yes, co-created and directed by David Zucker.

Testing it, men LOVED it. I mean LOVED it. But women hated it. Really hated it.

NBC couldn't air it because "they'd lose all the women for the entire evening".

There was nothing sexist in the show - it just split like that, and despite trying to revive it for a film (as they all wanted to..), they all kinda went on to other projects and it never got off the ground.

21. Spiny Norman

Never? That is not often. So you don't even know if you like it or not?

22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Commercials made it look stupid to me.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  23. Spiny Norman

Well, I can't claim that it's on par with Shakespeare... But on the other hand... light entertainment... we've all been teenagers at one time... few things hold up to scrutiny if you look closely...

24. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I saw this last night when going down the Unsold Pilots rabbit hole. Didn't know it was the Ventures playing the theme!

Here's a photo of Lon Chaney Jr in test make-up for Prune Face. The show would have been great if networks didn't get feet due to the ratings of The Green Hornet and Batman.

[​IMG]

25. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Once Upon A Twilight (1967)

An un-aired pilot for Australia's answer to The Monkees. The show centered on The Twilights (a real band - btw) and their episodic adventures in finding gigs, so yeah, pretty much The Monkees :D The show's sponsor (Shell, I think) lost confidence in the show and pulled out at the last minute. Watching the pilot now, you can see why this never would have taken off. The Twlights, while a great band were not actors and lacked any on screen presence. Aussie character actress, Madeleine Orr as the band's secretary, does her best to carry them when together on screen, but on their own, they are painfully amateurish.

Umbrella Entertainment released a remastered version of the pilot online in 2019: Watch ONCE UPON A TWILIGHT Online | Vimeo On Demand on Vimeo

bekayne likes this.