Unspeakables — Worst Speakers You Ever Heard, And Why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Apr 5, 2021.

1. layman

layman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The Proac Response 2.5 sounded dreadful when I auditioned them. I never could understand how they mananged to freeze dry everything they played.
    [​IMG]
    The B&W Nautilus 804 sounded extremely disjointed to my ear. I heard severe suckouts at the frequencies where the drivers overlap. So you had bright, hard sounded treble, sucked out presence, forward sounding upper midrange, sucked out warmth and an underwhelming disjointed bass doing its own thing at the bottom. The drivers did not sing from the same page but seemed to fight each other tooth and nail.

[​IMG]
    Speakers with BMR or balanced mode drivers (such as the Manger above) irritate my ears. The drivers sound like nails raked across a chalk-board.

I would say that about 5% of speakers that I have auditioned sounded truly awful, while far more (50%) were just bland and uninvolving, but that still leaves 20% that sounded good and 25% that sounded great.

2. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I used to work at a stereo shop that carried the Cerwin Vegas, and believe me, they sucked.

They absolutely did nothing correctly.

3. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

I had a pair of Nautilus 804 on loan for a weekend once, and I agree with every word you said, layman. Add them to my list!!

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

GE Triton 1s

Certainly not worst ever but worst in terms of “hi-fi” speakers I’ve heard over the last decade. The entry-level Martin Logan ESLs are almost as bad.

5. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Cell phone speaker.. There are people at work who actually listen to things that way.

6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Yeah, like me when I was stuck for months in hospital! Saved my sanity (I think).

BSU, Warand Pain, rebellovw and 2 others like this.
  7. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Gads, those Auratone speakers I used to see at some recording studios and TV facilities. There's a reason they were known as Horror-tones. Repugnant.

Dan

8. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

I don’t know if it’s the worst speaker I e ever heard, but I bought a Klipsch The Three for Bluetooth streaming in my office. It does make sound, but it’s pretty lame compared to my normal system. Oh well - I think I expected too much.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Weird way of thinking, but OK. o_O

JackG likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why not use headphones?

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Cerwin Vega, Bose, Thonet Vander, Edifier (very early model)

12. Khorn

Only really like circumaurals and didn’t have any access to those at the time. Sure, the SQ wasn’t great but the music took priority and sure sounded great given my situation.

13. G E

G E Senior Member

+1 million...

I found plans for diy speakers using concentric woofer/tweeter drivers from Celestion or something like that. 3/4” plywood, no bracing, I don’t recall using acoustic insulation. Not sure I used screws and glue, just nails.

anticipation and excitement as I hooked up speaker leads...ohhhh.... this isn’t very good me thinks. I never listened to them again

they ended up in pop’s garage hooked up to a radio so he could listen to basketball games.

14. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

I heard a Klipsch Forte 3 not too long ago at a buddy's house, who happens to be a Klipsch connoisseur. This is almost a decade after i heard a Klipsch....Same poor weak mids and it felt like my ears were being ripped off when he started cranking it up. How on earth is this considered hifi??!! i wondered... I went back home and hauled my Pass amp and Denafrips DAC over to his place. I hooked it up to see if the salvage effort made it better. No dice, it was just awful...still as lousy as it ever was. I guess it works for some folks, not for me. Ugh

gingerly, BSU, Adam9 and 3 others like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the worst speakers i have ever heard were ( no offense, no deliberate bashing. just honest recollection) a pair of rega floor standers with the side mounted woofers. driven by an elict r amplifier and a rega cd player.
    why are they the worst?
    the imaging was bouncing all about because of the side facing woofers. the tone was midrange forward almost glaring with a fair amount of soft bass. no treble to speak of and transparency was muddy water murky.
    they were quick paced though.
    second worst were a pair of dali floor standers with the hash and static square screen super tweeter.

kt66brooklyn and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Controversial opinion here. Worst loudspeaker I ever tried to like (9 times). Bose 901. Liked the 301, 501 and 601 fine. Never liked the 901 (though great in skating rinks and nightclubs).

17. Khorn

Sorry you were subjected to that experience. I wouldn’t want to remember something like that.

VinylPhool likes this.
  18. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Klipsch.

Honk.

ErinH, Tim 2, Ctiger2 and 3 others like this.
  19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Peachtree Audio Design 5 on Sanus stands, straight up garbage.

timind, hifisoup and rebellovw like this.
  20. bobbradley

bobbradley Well-Known Member

That didn’t take long lol!

hifisoup and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  21. Khorn

Are there any ACME speakers? I think they would win hands down.

22. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

One for the Cerwin Vega haters!

Shak Cohen, Stanton56, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sounded like Beavis and Butthead in the video.

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The did Ratt really well.

black sheriff likes this.
  25. Khorn

I guess the Cerwin Vega had the “party speaker” as a target market. They must have sold a heck of a lot of them at one time. Seems like everyone has had them or at least heard them at one time or another. They did “loud” real good. Well, at least they did loud.....