DCC Archive Upcoming DVD Audio titles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jesper Nielsen, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Originally posted by Tim M:
    >> GRegM continues to bash DVD-A at every chance, but I don't think it will be going away in the near future. <<

Then hitch your star to it by all means--have at it. Between Verance watermarking, the on-screen menus and the overemphasis on surround gimickry over good mixing, this format is never going to be anything I'll buy into, unless there is a fundamental shift in the goals of the content developers.

>> More and more of these mixes are 24/192 and sound great. <<

How many is "more and more"? I don't think there are more than 3 titles with 24/192. And they sound great compared to what? CD? Vinyl? SACD?

PROG U.K. likes this.
  2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

First of all, there is no watermarking on most dvd-a titles. It is on some warner titles but no one knows what they are because it's not audible. I want to be present at a test where someone can distinguish the watermarked titles from the nonwatermarked titles. I don't think it will happen.

Second, no television is needed to access dvd-a's. It's another myth that is losing steam everyday.

Finally, surround sound is here to stay. Some people just refuse to accept the fact that when it is done right it blows away stereo.

Check out the Grateful Dead titles for reference.

JonS

3. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

According to Jordan Rost at Warner Music, watermarking is on *All* new Warner Music DVD-A discs issued since late last year.

So there are more than a few watermarked DVD-A discs on the market.

4. Jesper Nielsen

Jesper Nielsen Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes.. And they sounds GREAT..

:D

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Regarding the differences between surround mixes and their stereo counterparts: I think it is unrealistic to expect them to sound the same. How many different mixes between mono and stereo releases of the same material can you think of? There are additional instruments, longer (or shorter) fades, emphasis on diferent instruments or vocals, effects added (or missing or different), all on the Beatles White album mono/stereo. These were tracks that were mixed to these formats within weeks of each other (some songs were done at the same session) and ususally done by the same person.

How can you expect a mix from multi-tracks done 20 years later by a different person to sound the same? The mono/stereo differences started to fade when stereo became the dominant format and the mono's were just "fold downs" of the stereo. If multi-channel catches on (and I doubt it will), stereo mixes that are fold downs from them will sound similar.

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Uncle Al ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.