Upcoming EAR Phonobox- Replaces Long Running 834

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 12, 2018.

1. I wonder if it’s possible to get a chrome unit with gold (or champagne) knob?

zeitlos likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Yes it is l believe.:)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Andy Saunders

Does the phono box exist?......

4. I’m not sure if it is for sale yet. The 834p appears to be out of production, though.

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I just read a wonderful review of the EAR Phonobox in the December issue of Hi-Fi News. Absolutely fabulous review by Ken Kessler.

JG

geodiak and Andy Saunders like this.
  6. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Price on this?

7. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

This is what it is saying in Hi-Fi News...

Prices: £1,000 (MM) to £1,499 (MM/MC with volume)

JG

Ontheone likes this.
  8. Here are some photos of the internals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  9. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Anyone else ever heard this? Is it the same circuit at the 834P? A component I've always wanted to hear/own.

10. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Ive got an old 834p (12ax7 x3). After years still exciting to listen to with some nice tube bloom. Im sure this newer one will be incredible..

trumpetplayer likes this.
  11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

So about $1,300 USD to $1,900 USD. Not too bad!

12. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

So true! Try using a NOS 12au7 in front V3 spot i think, it takes the sound to another level of excellence.

13. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

i did and honestly always liked the 12ax7 in that slot...favorites Tele and Mullard originals.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  14. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I found the tele too bright. I preferred the mullard 12ax7s. Different strokes:righton:

theron d likes this.
  15. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I also use Tele and Mullard 12ax7 in my Ear 834. Tele in 1, Mullard in 2 and 3. Great balance that way!

theron d likes this.
  16. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

What are you guys using under your 834? I have mine on a Slate board. After reading some threads about isolation I tried a wooden board between the Phono stage and the stone. The image focused very pleasantly but the dynamics were kind of dead. I'm debating if I should experiment with bambu or other harder woods. Opinions please!

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Add tube rings instead and save yourself the trouble.

18. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Thanks. You mean tube rings like Herbie's? Got them on.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  19. Andy Saunders

Them Herbies are very good.:edthumbs:

20. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Yes! Like them very much. I'm Just trying to see if I can improve the sound even more.

21. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

22. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The EAR 834P I remember being reviewed in the mid 90s when it sold for around £300 in basic case. A comparative review had it beat by the Michell Is0. The new version is certainly better finished and layed out inside, but stiff competition selling at this price level. The MC/MM version is similar price to my M6 Vinyl (which can take 3 turntables and each input can be programmed individually). I suppose there aren't that many cheaper serious valve stages these days. I would think this needs to be a significant upgrade on the original design (which appears to be the case). Having said that something I would like to try. Pretty much dismissed EAR when they doubled UK prices in the internet age - they obviously rely on the export market.

24. mhr1229

mhr1229 Forum Resident

Listening to the PhonoBox right now, with an Ortofon Xpression into an Ear MC4 and then on to the PhonoBox. It’s a really quiet combo. Very little background noice if I lift the pick-up from the record and listen to amp noice. This level of quietude (this has to be a word in English!) is only possible with an SUT. Active amplification is noisier. The sound of the PhonoBox (with the MC4) is as smooth and liquid as one could wish for. Other phono amps sound grainy in comparison. It’s also quick on its feet. Transients are reproduced with no slowing down. However, in one aspect is it beaten by the PS Audio Stellar Phono (that I also happen to have at home and ready for comparison): viz. oomph. The latter will give you a phatter sound with more slam. And perhaps with a wee wider soundstage. But not as smooth and liquid. Which is the best? Depends on your preferences!

25. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

It's nice hearing these types of head-to-head comparisons. Perhaps the differences are attributable to the tube vs FET topologies? I have never heard either but you describe the differences the way I'd imagine them to be.