Upcoming EAR Phonobox- Replaces Long Running 834

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, May 12, 2018.

1. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Since you're a Swede, I am hoping you're listening to heavy music/metal of some kind because I am very curious about how the PhonoBox + step up transformer handles this kind of music.

I am on the look out for a pure-tube phono stage but have never owned one before. Since I listen to mostly heavy music, with lots of double bass drum and crushing low end, I need to do some homework.

2. mhr1229

mhr1229 Forum Resident

No metal but plenty of classic rock and prog. Right now I’ve got Susan Tedeschi spinning on the old Thorens. The PhonoBox does everything well but for this type of music I might prefer the PS Audio Stellar - perhaps with the MC4 SUT. Have to try that combo! I’ll be back!

3. FalseMetal666

Report back! We’re depending on your ears!

4. geodiak

geodiak Forum Resident

Anyone else who's had a chance to listen to it in the meantime? Any new sound impressions?

5. Has anyone located a dealer in the USA for this? Closest I have found is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and they won’t sell to the U.S.A. I think that might contravene NAFTA, but that’s another story.

6. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

I know that Common Wave audio in LA is a dealer.

Common Wave Hi-Fi

7. Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  8. Jens

Jens Forum Resident

I have the Phonobox. Almost for 8 months now. It is a fantastic piece of Kit. I really enjoyed the 834p but this one has a little better controls in the bass and a little more detail. I use the mm but savning up for a better catridge (rega exact). I have a Rega RP8. The mm is really good so i look forward to hear how it handles MC. For now very glad.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  9. Are these guys/gals slow to respond? I haven’t heard anything back.

E.A.R.-U.S.A. (the U.S. distributor) hasn’t responded either regarding my request to find a dealer.

Some dealers and distributors act like they don’t actually want to sell things, ya know? It’s a really weird business.

10. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

Did you only email them? Try calling them and see.

I haven't had a problem contacting normally...if I don't get a reply to the email, I would call their phone numbers during normal business hours PST.

11. I can call, but I like to have all my business dealings in writing.

For example, whenever I fill out a trade in form for Music Direct, they always try to call me on the phone to haggle how much trade-in credit and how much discount under their advertised price they are willing to give. I always email them back and tell them all negotiations must be in writing and not over the phone, and then proceed from there. Some of their sales reps don’t want anything in writing. If that’s the case, they will lose the sale.

Or, if I negotiate over the phone with someone, I then follow up with an email reciting the agreement and price to be paid so that everything is memorialized in writing.

Sorry, but these days it’s too easy to get burned by oral agreements.

Denizen23 and Mad shadows like this.
  12. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

Interesting chain of thought.

I would call and establish that you are interested and will continue over email if that is ok with them. That should be fine I would imagine.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  13. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

@Jens Is the Phonobox as musical and fun o listen to as the 834P would you say?:)

geodiak likes this.
  14. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

Does anyone happen to know if there's anything else changed apart from the case work for the deluxe version?

geodiak likes this.
  15. James Lynch

James Lynch Member

Just purchased one of these. Sounds OK to start off with. But, it has developed a fault.

The Power On/Standby illuminations seem to be incorrect. First time I used it, it was OK. In standby RED. Power on gives circulating concentric light
    in AMBER for about 30 seconds. Then extinguishes and immediately stays ON (AMBER colour).
    Switched on the next day with same result. But, AMBER colour seemed lighter (or was it me?). Running-in maybe?
    Next day. Standby is faint RED. Switch ON and circulates in RED and extinguishes and then back on staying in RED!!!
    Should be AMBER.
    Apart from this the unit seems to be functioning perfectly well???
    Reported fault to vendor. Who, I have to say, came back to me very promptly. On a Sunday too! They said they would make inquiries with EAR Yoshino
    and get back to me. Good customer service, for sure, from Turntable World (UK) so far.
    Will report further.

Posted just in case anybody else experiences the same problem.

16. James Lynch

James Lynch Member

Following on...
    I can't complain about the customer service from TurntableWord (Hifi Sound). They sent a courier to pick up the Phonobox and I think I got it back about
    a week later. All working OK now. But, alas, after about a week the fault came back. The LEDs now show random, intermittent colours, intensities. Duh?
    As the Phonobox itself appears to be functioning correctly I've decided to ignore the light show. Altho, I'm going to have to cover the LED display as sometimes
    it goes Very Bright. And, I can't be bothered with all the fuss of sending it back again.
    Anybody else had this problem. I'm sure It's just a one off. My guess it's an IC that's causing this to happen. Funny how the only piece of modern technology in
    the box that I can see is the bit that fails (No offence intended to Ear Yoshino as it sounds really good).

17. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

18. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I understand the frustration, and I'm sure you've probably considered this, but if not, that kind of issue in a product will seriously degrade the resale value should you decide to move it on.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd ship it back if it were me. I'd also tell them to hold onto it for at least a week until they can properly reproduce the issue. I'd probably make a video of the issue as well.

James Lynch likes this.
  20. FalseMetal666

If anything should happen to me, my lawyer will release his copy of the video to the Washington Post and New York Times. I await your reply.

James Lynch likes this.
  21. James Lynch

James Lynch Member

How many hours.... Ah, I guess about 50-100 hours. Today the LEDs are acting almost normally. Perhaps a bit on the dim side (Bit like me sometimes).
    Thanks for showing an interest.

22. James Lynch

James Lynch Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it some thought.

23. James Lynch

James Lynch Member

Thanks for your input. And you are right of course.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. James Lynch

James Lynch Member

Still got a problem with my Ear PhonoBox I purchased last year. The LEDs, despite sending it back for a fix back in January, still acting up.
    I ignored the fault as it was sounding OK. Big Mistake!
    Tried to open it up (Another Big Mistake!) and now it just Hummmmms! And I didn't even manage to remove the cover.
    The screw were difficult to remove. So I'm sure I have invalidated the warranty.
    Anybody achieved this removal at all? If any of you guys out there have tried to replace the tubes or whatever?
    And, yes; I am a klutz! Official.

25. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

James, I wouldn't hesitate to contact the manufacturer and tell them what you did and ask what they can do to help. You might be surprised.