Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Yes, it's the first.

Others? No idea.

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I prefer the 2000 mix, explained here: John Lennon Imagine 2018 Boxed Set (Content and Sound Quality Issues Only!)*

Plastic Ono Band is heavily rumored for October. There's already been announced a book similar to the one they published along with the Imagine set.

Carl80 likes this.
  3. Blue Cactus

One the big problems i had with the 2000 remix was the heavy handed use of noise reduction.

It didn't do the music any favors.

vivresavie likes this.
  4. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I don't remember if there was so much noise reduction, but there are certain problems with the mastering, yes. I just prefer the mix to the 2018.

5. Blue Cactus

They copied the multi-tracks and added n/r at that stage, unnecessarily I might add.

The Mo-Fi gold CD, while an improvement over the Capitol issue, still had the n/r baked into it. :thumbsdow

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I just received my copy of the Raw Studio Mixes LP. It's a lovely package and pressing. However I immediately noticed that
    there is an abnormally loud background noise in the run in grooves on both sides. If you turn up the volume for example just
    before Imagine starts. First I thought this was a problem with my needle so I tried on another turntable and it was not as extreme
    but still noticeable. Does anyone else notice this or does my copy have a problem ?
    Cheers

7. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

John Lennon Imagine: The Ultimate Mixes on DeepDiscount

13,68 USD for the vinyl version. Free US shipping above 25 USD. The recent vinyl reissue of 'Choba B CCCP' and the ghetto version of 'Egypt Station' are even both around 8 bucks there, so grab yourself a combined steal.

8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The hardcover book is amazing in the deluxe boxset for the price, great pictures and information, made up for the vinyl boxset they cheaped out on abit.

Has anyone any more info on the possible Plastic Ono deluxe set ?

9. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

LOL yeah, and “Dig A Pony” was about him too. John should have said, “It’s a meaningless piece of nothing, so it could be...”

10. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

I'm ordering The Ultimate Mixes Collection either from hhv.de or amazon.de.
    But how do I know if I get the Optimal or GZ pressed version?

11. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

There is a book yes, but we really do not yet know how it will look or compare to the book that was released for Imagine in 2018.

12. Amazon has posted some images from the upcoming book including session photos and the chapter index:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1681885891

13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Goodness, there's a lot of blue in these photos....

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I wouldn't want to read too much into the Table of Contents given here but I wonder if this offers a clue as to what will be in the POB box set? Notice what is and what isn't capitalized. Included: three singles from 69-70, both John and Yoko's POB albums. Not included: Live Peace in Toronto. Just speculating of course, but the announcement shouldn't be far off.

Rob Hughes and dtuck90 like this.
  15. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

We were already supposed to get an 'Ultimate Mix' of Instant Karma earlier this year for RSD. So we know it isn't only an Imagine-era thing and we can expect other parts of John's catalog to receive the same treatment.

16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Interesting! There's a whole 13 page section on Yoko's POB album in the book, so I think that could be indication that hers will be a "bonus" disc in this box set, or maybe at least a couple outtakes from it.

I wonder if the Give Peace a Chance A and B sides and Cold Turkey A and B sides are included as well, just a whole round up of the main POB era 69-70?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    DK Pete and oboogie like this.
  17. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

If you're in the UK WH Smith have the 4 CD / 2 bluray boxed edition in their Black Friday promotion for a mere £31.99. There is also a £5 off a £30 spend code bringing it down to a bargain £26.99.
    Imagine | WHSmith

Critter and OobuJoobu like this.
  18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My set only has one Blu Ray. What is on the other Blu Ray? Is it exclusive?

19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

You must be missing a lot of content. Was there a single blu-ray edition?

20. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

The link should take you to the product information. It is amassed together but the details for all six disc is there. I ordered earlier this afternoon and it still states that it is in stock.

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There was not. Possible we're talking about two different things:

The Imagine and Gimme Some Truth films on one Blu-ray:
    Imagine & Gimme Some Truth Blu-ray Release Date October 5, 2018

The Imagine - Ultimate Collection box set with four CDs and two Blu-rays:
    Gimme Some Truth: John Lennon's "Imagine" Gets "Ultimate" Treatment in October - The Second Disc

zobalob and dormouse like this.
  22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

^^^ Ahh, you hit the nail on the head.

23. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

A little late to the party here - I finally got this set for Christmas, and doing some prelminary listening, Blu ray 1 worked a treat, but Blu Ray 2 coughed and spluttered, and never really loaded up properly. Has anyone else had any similar issues?

fishcane likes this.
  24. My copy both BR’s are flawless, no issues whatsoever and as no one else has replied either, I’d suggest perhaps the laser drive starting to fail or a defective disc.

25. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I'm hoping it's my player - I've had no issues with any other discs, but I'm game to get something that runs a bit quieter down the line. Interestingly, I've been able to access parts of the disc - Outtakes, tracks 1-9 of the Raw Studio mixes - but elements mixes (which has the most BR unique audio) is a no-go. These sets are the real signpost for me to move to Surround Sound, so I hope to move in to this world in the next year or two, and will likely get a new BR player to go along with this. Fingers crossed this sorts the issue. For now, the CDs will do. I can't get a replacement, as I bought it sealed from a seller on eBay, but not a company type listing.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.