Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I see the concept of "Imagine something to make it happen" there. And even the "it's easy"...

Anyway, wasn't the connection with Yoko's poem just the word "imagine"?

nikh33 likes this.
  2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

marka, forthlin, applejam101 and 2 others like this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Try singing "I'll Get You" with "Imagine"'s lyrics!
    It's fun!

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I'll buy it, unless, in the unlikely event, it should turn out to be disastrous, tho I can't see how ...:rolleyes:

SHU likes this.
  5. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Mike, what is "soon" for an official announcement?

mikecarrera likes this.
  6. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

Shaddam IV likes this.
  7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Hey I like Yoko, but I hate children. Anyway cant wait for wait for more details on the audio.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

5.1 and or quad and maybe ...
    I have two mixes anyhow, three would be overkill for me

IronWaffle and fredblue like this.
  9. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Imagine no reissues?

steve_miller, MitchLT and delmonaco like this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Sickening.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

God forbid Mike Love and Yoko Ono ever collaborate on a project.

Half this forum would win the Guinness' world record for most coronaries in a group of online message board inhabitants.

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...or a rewri
    I'm sure she will convince the gullables that she co-wrote that as well.

steve_miller likes this.
  13. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I don't understand why she wanted credited with co-writing the song. She owns every aspect of his Earthly remains as is and she's 80-something years old. I hope you all enjoy this release but I will stick to my original LP and the CD I bought in the 90s.

BZync, Man at C&A and Darrin L. like this.
  14. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Glad to hear Yoko is finally getting her due. I have no doubt she made important contributions to the album. It is obviously a matter of principle for her.

RonBaker likes this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Oh Arnold, you're all pizza and fairy tales . :shake:

:D

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

She must be worried about kicking off and fading fast into infamy. This way her name gets noticed a little while longer, even after passing.

But I thought she told Paul that she was very much against changing writer credits?

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m feeling the same way. If you don’t want to buy it that’s cool. Just pass. I don’t get the anger.

18. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

In the clip from a Dec 6, 1980 BBC interview with Andy Peebles, John said Imagine: “Should be credited as a Lennon-Ono song”.

"A lot of it — the lyric and the concept — came from Yoko, but those days I was a bit more selfish, a bit more macho, and I sort of omitted to mention her contribution," he said.

"But it was right out of Grapefruit, her book — there's a whole pile of pieces about 'Imagine this' and 'Imagine that’. Give her credit now, long overdue”.

"If it had been a male, you know — 'Old Dirt Road', it's 'Lennon-Nilsson’, ‘Fame’, its 'Lennon-Bowie’.

"But when we did Imagine I just put 'Lennon' because, you know, she's just the wife and you don't put her name on, right?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaTy3kSxyoo
    Interview @ 45min, 30seconds

19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"When asked about the song's meaning during a December 1980 interview with David Sheff for Playboymagazine, Lennon told Sheff that Dick Gregory had given Ono and him a Christian prayer book, which inspired him the concept behind "Imagine".

20. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Now now, never let the facts get in the way of a good Yoko-bashing!! Just because John thought that his wife really should get co-credit doesnt mean hes right! Yoko obviously brain-washed John! ;P

steve_miller, mrjinks, jmxw and 2 others like this.
  21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

That quote from 1980 by John about not putting Yoko's name as co-writer of Imagine because she's a woman makes ZERO sense because on the same album he gave Yoko a co-writing credit on "Oh My Love." So his argument holds no water. He was fine with giving his wife co-writing credit when they sat down together and wrote together.

The fact is, Yoko's poem or things Yoko said to John may have inspired the song on some level, but inspiration and actual writing of the song are not the same thing.

So Yoko had a poem that included "Imagine" as a theme many years before. John had also used the term imagine in song lyrics and similar phrases about dreams and aspirations in other anthemic songs before as well...

John knew how songwriting credits work. And he had 9 years and four big chances to give Yoko credit while he was alive and chose not to. The original LP release (1971), the original single release (1971), Shaved Fish (1975) and reissue single release (1975).

I'm not Yoko bashing, she's an innovative and interesting artist, but it's very strange to me to change the writing credits of a song after the original author has died and so many years later, when clearly Yoko could have asked John for co-writing credit when they were alive and you know married, but she didn't. If she had done so, you know he'd have given it to her. The only logical reason she didn't ask him for co-writing credit originally is because she knew John wrote the song alone. Now it's a different story?

Has a similar case ever even happened before in the history of modern music outside of a copyright lawsuit?

This re-issue seems to be 100% about Yoko's new co-writing credits and presenting the whole Imagine album more like a collaboration on the level of Double Fantasy. That's how the press release seems. And that feeling makes me want to avoid this release sadly. I hope it has some interesting outtakes for those fans who do buy it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  22. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Eh, no need to get mad about it. Just don’t buy it. If you wanna listen to the remix I’m sure it will be released on Spotify, give it a shot there if you’re interested, ignore it if you aren’t.

23. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I think she's right to claim credit for Imagine. If she claimed credit for anything he did after and including Two Virgins I wouldn't complain - she inspired his thoughts and changed him as a person into what we now think of as John. Anyway - he's dead so it doesn't matter to him. Good point made above about Nilsson & Bowie.
    She's not exactly doing it for the money, is she? Credit where credit's due.

24. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

∆ This. Around that time John was facing criticism for giving Yoko half of Double Fantasy. He was just making his case, so maybe that's why he said that about Imagine (didn't he want to give Chuck Berry credits for Come Together? Whoever wrote the Elvis song for Run For Your Life?).

But as you say, he gave her credit for Oh My Love in the same album, and other songs in other albums. If he didn't change the credits in 9 years, is it really fair of Yoko to change them now based on one interview, when we all know John contradicted himself many times in the press?

This is like taking Paul's name off the credit of Give Peace a Chance a few years ago. We all know he didn't have anything to do with it, but John wanted to give him that, and didn't change it in the 11 years he lived after the release of the song.

For these things I say that I don't like how Yoko handles John's legacy. I respect her as a person, but man, she is always trying to rewrite history.

25. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

It is my understanding that the Imagine film (not the documentary) will be released as well. I do not know if it will be the full cut or the Yoko-lite version from 1985. However, I would not be surprised if some tweaking had taken place. Likewise, I don't know anything about format, but I would think it would have to be Blu-Ray. All of the existing footage was converted to digi-Beta in 1998 for the Gimme Some Truth documentary.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com