Upcoming Rolling Stones release "Honk"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Billy Preston was at least a peer and a guy who’d played with Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, and the Beatles. Hardly the latest flavor of the day.

walrus, DTK, egebamyasi and 5 others like this.
  2. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

The Stones had/have few peers. Billy ain’t one of them.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I don't know. Certainly not in terms of popularity or commercial stature , but I think the poster meant that The Stone's respected him-he played on a string of their albums and toured with them and he was a better pure musician than anyone in the band.
    The Stones always surrounded themselves with a cadre of reliable players and they obviously felt highly of Preston, who did play with some legendary stars --including The Beatles-and put out some successful hit singles of his own.

Vinyl_Blues, DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Billy played on every Stones album from Sticky Fingers through Black and Blue, and they took him on tour in 1975 and let him have his showcase in the middle of their set, looks like they thought differently.

walrus, Vinyl_Blues, Jack and 9 others like this.
  5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’m certainly beyond the target age group for the Stones duets, but I suppose it’s a hoot for younger people who attend a Stones show to tell their friends afterwards that Ed Sherran or Brad Paisley,etc., showed up also.

I’m less sure younger people care that much about owning a release with those duets though.
    I’m also not sure the Stones people care which rare songs got the fans votes, because I am skeptical the set is designed for “ the fans” .

As seen in this thread, there are a core group of super fans that will buy everything that the Stones release but I doubt this set was intended for them, because there can’t be a ton of them so I’m having a little trouble guessing who the intended buyers are for this .

But, as has been mentioned already probably , these sort of new products get released because production costs are probably low and it helps keep the Stones “brand name” visible, especially when a tour in North America was imminent.

Also, the few generic stores that I visit that still carry CDs like Barnes and Noble will have a couple of copies of Honk probably but GRRR! and 90% of the rest of the Stones catalog won’t be in the Stones bin anymore.

Only “new” matters these days unless it’s a classic like Sticky Fingers or similar . Good luck trying to find a CD copy of Between the Buttons, at Barnes and Noble or Target, you know? :D

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    The MEZ and All Down The Line like this.
  6. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

"That's Life" and "Outta Space" are badass songs, sang by someone who was playing onstage for the entire night.

7. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I saw the Honk 1CD in a store today and also noticed the back insert looks like the Jump Back artwork, so does this mean Honk is going to replace Jump Back?

Who'sTommy likes this.
  8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

It's ridiculous that UMe keeps reusing the highly compressed '09 remasters...HONK should have received a new remaster?

All Down The Line likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Outta Space has a good groove but That’s Life I won't miss if I don't hear again.

10. All Down The Line

Or pre 09' material anything better from A master.

11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

More like replace GRRRR.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They played Nothing From Nothing on the 1976 tour which is better that either of those songs in my opinion. However, I don't think any of those songs should have been played during the Stones set. They should have been played before it started. I know there was some sort of agreement with Preston to do it but I still don't like it.

13. Former Lee Warmer

Yeah, that's the real crime in this scenario...

14. All Down The Line

Only it's shelf space.
    Why?
    Nothing from 63' through 69'

15. Former Lee Warmer

Yeah, GRRR! is career spanning and has a couple really good new tracks.

Jump Back, I never really warmed to, and have never owned in any format.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I wish they'd dropped "Rain Fall Down" and "One More Shot" and included "Highwire" (underrated classic IMO) and "Almost Hear You Sigh" or "Sad Sad Sad". I noticed that "Anybody Seen My Baby" is not on this set as well.

Futurecity and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Jump Back has better mastering.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wish they would have included Hang Fire.

19. All Down The Line

I picked up the UK vinyl and then hesitated on the CD for years until supply dried up.
    A couple of years ago out of the blue I found new copies for $10 AUD and i was astonished as to how good it was.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  20. All Down The Line

I don't need the first 2 you mention compiled either.

21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

22. All Down The Line

Why not indeed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well, it's a k.d.lang song with inferior lyrics on top.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

25. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

I wish they included a new track or two like they did with 40 Licks and Grrrr. Or even an older unreleased song (with or without new overdubs). Heck, they could have included ‘Watching the River Flow’ with Bill on bass, which isn’t rare, but probably not widely heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.