Upcoming Rolling Stones release "Honk"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Bummer. Its a combination hits comp + modern day live recordings...I.e. The two Stonesy products I have zero interest in.

Still waiting for the new album.

D.B., redsock, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I love, love, love the Stones. But count me out. This is about as enticing as dragging my butt down to Santa Clara to see them play in Levis Stadium for $300.

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'd advise a newbie to go to the used CD store and pick up "Rewind", "Voodoo Lounge", and "Bridges to Babylon". There's a lot of good stuff on those two studio albums (VL and B2B), but no two human beings can agree on what constitutes "the good stuff".

So decide for yourself. I'm not fond of some of the choices being made on this one, and would find it difficult to recommend this title.

4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

How can you recommend Rewind and not this new one, when Rewind carries 99% of the same tracks??? Are you sure it’s not just nostalgia lurking in the background regarding Rewind???

D.B. and MRamble like this.
  5. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

You also get edited versions of a lot of these songs, but it probably doesn’t matter to casual listeners.

6. MHP

It was on ‘Jump Back’ and also ‘Sucking In The Seventies’. Not that strange. And it was a minor hit in the US.

D.B., Sean, All Down The Line and 2 others like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I can't be mad. A 10 track selection of recent live rarities? I'm interested.

If anything, it's too bad they couldn't do a whole live duets album. ~26 duets/guest performers since 2012 that are, to date, unreleased. Florence Welch accounts for two of those. Also, there plenty of Wild Horses, Beasts Of Burden, and Gimme Shelters.

I have zero expectations of this actually happening, but it would be cool if Mixed Emotions turns out to be the alternate mix that got used on the recent vinyl box.

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

1. "Rewind" (at least the 80s CBS issue) sounds awesome.

2. Brevity. It packs a punch. No sprawl. No filler.

3. The HONK selection of VL and B2B songs does not do those albums/years justice. And it's only 2 CDs, so go for it, if you want the 80s, 90s, and it you want it to last a long time, which is what the parent post wanted.

4. Thanks for the free psych exam, but I'll pass.

9. MHP

1. Mastering is a totally different matter. The discussion revolves around the tracklists.
    2. Fine, but it comes from a different era, 35 years ago. And compilation-wise it’s not comprehensive anymore, as there has been 6 albums released since then.
    3. No compilation, ‘Rewind’ or whatever, does any complete albums justice. ‘Exile On Main St.’ is represented by ONE song on ‘Rewind’. On this new one it has THREE. You’re moving the goalpost.
    4. You’re welcome! Pass it all you want, but don’t create a strawman for those who are interested!

D.B. likes this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I see this as just another merchandise item (among the new t-shirts, posters, caps, etc.) being sold in conjunction with the tour.

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

36 non-live tracks. Is this gonna be 18 edited tracks per each of 2 discs? (12 if 3 discs?) IDEK.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Not sure

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Man says he wants the 80s and 90s covered, but feels he "missed out" on 40 Licks (which includes the 60s, but whatever).

Sticking by your newly imposed criteria of "tracklisting", IMHO "Honk" pretty much picks the worst of VL, B2B, and aBB and puts them all in one place.

Just. Ew.

Czar nix Mick's 36 Picks! (One Keith track. One!)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Yeah, can't get very excited about this release. But I generally strive to be a Stones completist so I'll likely buy this but I'll also likely wait until one of the usual online suspects has one of their occasional 20% off sales.

Sidewinder43, Curveboy and D.B. like this.
  15. MHP

Whatever. You must have a hard time.

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm about to go Ignore on you, so it's getting better all the time.

Hammerpeg and MHP like this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

I should make it clear that, despite being genuinely interested in the live tracks, I do think this is otherwise another addition to the endless stream of useless Stones compilations. But taking all the vault (both actual "From The Vault" titles and many other live albums) releases into consideration, screw it, I'll give 'em a pass.

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

People are still somewhat resistant to the idea of musical repackagings and novelties (Record Store Day, picture discs, one-sided singles) as merch -- like there's some gravitas about a silver disc that a coffee mug or a T-shirt doesn't carry. I like to say, "What if I told you this coffee mug could play their 20 greatest hits?!"

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    D.B. likes this.
  19. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'd still tell a noob to buy a single disc GH (even "Jump Back", I guess. I just checked Wikipedia and it is certainly stuffed and goes up thru 1989), VL, and B2B.

Continuing on, "Honk" (IMHO) omits most of "Bigger Bang"'s charms. Even though I find "Bang" one of their lesser lesser lesser albums overall, I wouldn't characterize "Honk" as anything close to a substitute for it. Its good stuff is pretty good. Its bad stuff is on "Honk".

But I get that they're trying (hard) to put out there that they had a life after "Start Me Up". More power to them.

20. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

This playlist has to have been compiled by Mick. It’s got his strange fixation with newer era songs that no one else cares about, and which run from average to awful.

karmaman, agundy, redsock and 2 others like this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

It's 'great' that they close with "Streets of Love" and "Out of Tears".

On one of the dedicated Stones' fan forums, someone had a handle "Streets of Tears". His work here is done.

(OTOH, a hit in Italy, so....)

Colinjpush and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

A newbie could just listen to any and every song on youtube or spotify and never have to worry about this or that song missing.

omikron and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

True enough, but if someone's going to plunk down for product, it shouldn't be monotonous.

And, as I've said before, I think it's more fun to pick your own, especially if it doesn't cost any more than a new copy of "Honk". (It's why sprawly Stones' studio albums, even "Bang", can be a great thing. My point at present is precisely to AVOID making choices for others.)

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Asking a new fan to "Wade through" a recent studio album is kind of counterproductive. At least C H O N K (forgive the Facebook slang) is a toe in the water for people who like all the radio friendly stuff, and the band don't have to pay ABKCO to license their own master recordings for it

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    D.B. and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

intv7 and TonyCzar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.