'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Exactly. The subjective, normative statement is encouraging.

2. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

The other thing Was and Not Was could do with the BN back catalog is to put things on vinyl that have never been issued that way before, like the John Patton session from '69 that was only issued as bonus tracks on the two albums JP made with Ulmer (half on each)...

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

But there are loads of newbys to vinyl who love the whole tangible experience but who have not the money nor the interest in audiophile vinyl. I know 6 people like this personally. Mostly friends of my kids. There is a huge market for ground zero entry vinyl and price being super low is everything. They dont want expensive AAA vinyl nor do they want to stream.

george2210 and Bryce like this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Whatever you say, man. Pretty ****ing tedious. Here’s looking forward to the Tone Poet series, as any reasonable reader of my words will understand I prefer AAA records to digital cuts. Peace.

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

LOL. (aka Monty Python). I paid for an argument! No you didnt, Yes you did.

Edit : full confession this conversation actually had me laughing out loud:laugh:

bluejimbop, Bryce, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  6. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Yep, I understand that. I reacted to the insinuation I was confused. I wasn't.

My point of view is that Blue Note has the catalog and niche market to do only AAA. I wish they'd stick to that. I think they can do AAA cheaper than they have, in fact they are proving that with Tone Poet vs. MM? Looking forward to Tone Poet. Hope there is more of it.

Lucca90 likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

No. They will not do AAA cheaper than tone poet. I’m not sure they even could, it’s not easy! It is a miracle BN even agreed to tone poet! Clearly @Joe Harley has excellent business skills :)

8. BrianD

BrianD Forum Resident

Stu02 likes this.
  9. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Have you guys heard Jackie's Demon's Dance? That has Jack DeJohnette and is an insanely great album. It's not in this series of 18 but you can count on it being in the next round if this continues!!

10. Gabe Walters

YESSSSSSSSSS give us that Mati Klarwein album art in stunning high gloss quality!

11. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Guys, Don has really and truly been a champion of this series. Never once have I been told "no, we can't do that, it's too expensive". Every single thing I've wanted to do to make this series be as great as it can be, Don has been right there supporting me. I couldn't ask for anything more so let's remember to give Don one hell of a lot of credit for 100% supporting this series!

12. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Deep bow Fritz .... thank you brother!!

bluejimbop likes this.
  13. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

I mean Beerice41!

14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Amazing. I was going to suggest this very title! To my ears this session is a great balance between Jackie's "inside" and "outside" styles...it also features the incredible Woody Shaw. I have copy on the BN blue and black UA label, but I'm totally in for a version with the JH/KG magic.

AMG Review (Credit: Steve Huey): "Demon's Dance was Jackie McLean's final album for Blue Note, closing out an amazing streak of creativity that's among the more underappreciated in jazz history. The record retreats a bit from McLean's nearly free playing on New and Old Gospel and 'Bout Soul, instead concentrating on angular, modal avant bop with more structured chord progressions. The whole session actually swings pretty hard, thanks to drummer Jack DeJohnette, who manages that feat while maintaining the busy, kinetic style McLean had favored since Tony Williams' appearance on One Step Beyond. Pianist Lamont Johnson and bassist Scott Holt both return from New and Old Gospel, and trumpeter Woody Shaw is in especially fiery, muscular form, rivaling the leader in terms of soloing impact and contributing two of the six compositions. McLean's originals tend to be the most intriguing, though; there's the angular title track, the bright, uptempo "Floogeh," and the spacious ballad "Toyland," a warm, soft piece anchored by Johnson that runs counter to typical descriptions of the impressions McLean's tone creates. While Demon's Dance didn't quite push McLean's sound the way its two predecessors had, there was no sign that the altoist was beginning to run out of creative steam. Unfortunately, Blue Note's ownership changed and its resulting commercial direction meant the end of McLean's tenure with the label, and ultimately the prime of his career; he would resume recording five years later, often with rewarding results, but nonetheless, Demon's Dance marks the end of an era."
    [​IMG]

Madlove, conjotter, Bryce and 5 others like this.
  15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I really don't feel like reading 15 pages to find out - has the full list of albums been released?

16. Gabe Walters

Nope.

musictoad likes this.
  17. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Actually, on Amazon.ca, they have very conveniently called them the "Tone Poet Vinyl Series Part 1" (which is not the case on .com), so they are quite easy to search for:

Amazon.ca: Tone Poet
    https://www.amazon.ca/Sings-Sobs-Tone-Poet-Vinyl/dp/B07LD4VTNR/
    https://www.amazon.ca/Etcetera-Tone-Poet-Vinyl-Part/dp/B07LD8VFVJ/

And, woo hoo! Only CAD $31.28 each, at the moment! That's less than US$24! Release is a week later (Feb 22), but I can live with that. I was going to wait a bit on these, but at that price, I'm in! Thanks for the tip, @BrianD !

18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

This is wonderful news! I love Demon’s Dance. With the spectacular titles announced so far, I have no doubt that this will continue.

Joe, you’re really hitting nothing but home runs on all fronts. Thank you for all that you do.

19. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Home runs with all bases loaded!

20. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Giving Etcetera a listen for the first time this morning. How was this not released at the time of its recording?? Really stellar album. "Barracudas" in particular just smokes. Herbie plays out of his mind. I'm definitely picking this one up.

21. Madlove

Madlove Hare Hunter Field

Such a great album. I have a Liberty pressing, lots of crackles and pops. Been looking for an upgrade for quite some time. Seems to be very rare and when available, very expensive. This is great news. Thank you to all involved!

bluejimbop, rxcory and Jimmy Cooper like this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

@Joe Harley
    It sounds like the Tone Poet series is willing to go outside a bit more than AP and MM did.

Will we see it stretch out more to the free jazz realm, with classic titles like Cecil Taylors "Unit Structures" and "Conquistador," Don Cherry's "Complete Communion," and/or Ornette Colman's "Golden Circle" sessions.

23. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

18? This year?

Joe Harley likes this.
  24. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I think the key would be a balance between out of the box stuff like you mention, sessions that everyone would enjoy (hard bop realm per example) but are somewhat unknown/less known with a few classic titles in the mix. That would make these series perfect imo. A piece for everyone to enjoy.

I'm pretty sure the initial idea is to release 18 titles in 2019.

rxcory and Joe Harley like this.
  25. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Yessir.