'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm still looking for the best option for the OneStep size boxes. The ones at Sleeve City are not deep enough (unless they came up with new ones).

Bags Unlimited sells ones that work, but it's $18 for 100 of them, I believe. And Sleevie Wonder sells ones that will work, but they're about $2.50 per sleeve.

@Tullman suggested a Ziploc storage bag that zips close. I might explore those, but that wouldn't be as elegant a solution, and they may not have the optical clarity of the ones made specifically for records.

2. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Got my ETC today from Amazon, double boxed, intact wrap/hype sticker, and a clean, flat pressing that's just blowing me away. Sounds incredible!

3. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Received my 2 copies today, man I love this record.

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I just got my replacement Etc from Amazon today. Either my new cartridge is that much better for Blue Note recordings in particular or this is one of the better sounding Blue Note albums I have heard, in terms of SQ. The rhythm section really pops compared to many of the MMJ I have heard. I need to go back and get an idea how my other BNs sound now. How much is it the new cartridge and how much is it the excellence of the Tone Poet mastering.

With that and given how utterly good the Chick Corea sounds I am excited for the rest of the series. I cannot wait to hear Contours.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. lplover

lplover Forum Resident

Received the first two titles from Music Direct today. As expected they are first class reissues in every way. At $35 these are also a much better value to me than the SRX series at nearly twice the price so I probably won't be buying any more of those. Long live Tone Poet :)

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s happened to a lot of us with RTI

rxcory and Josquin des Prez like this.
  7. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I love MM albums to pieces, but they've kind of lost me with the SRX reissues. I just don't need them. Especially now that I have Tone Poet in my life! If MM tackles new titles, I might buy in, but I can't afford having two copies of the same album.

8. Josquin des Prez

@Joe Harley, I got my replacement and it sounds fantastic. Nicely done. It's all good now. :)

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I should say my copies of “Etc”

Elofan likes this.
  10. Latech

Latech Forum Resident

No, they would not fit a box set, trifold yes (but tight fit). I agree with Birchstick with pricing, I just tried these out first and love them and I'm in the process of converting all my albums over to these sleeves.

11. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I think it is one of the best BN sessions I’ve heard, to include the MM stuff. There may be a bit of “the last one I heard is the best sounding session” syndrome sneaking in, but there is something special about Etc. A superb album.

12. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

....I liked it so much and i know will be played way too many times , way too many... :)

13. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I own almost the entire catalog of MM releases with most bought at the original price through a legitimate distributor such as Music Direct and Acoustic sounds. I was really excited when they introduced the SRX titles, but at $60 a pop plus shipping and inflated prices on the balance of their catalog...what? wait a minute...This is a direct to consumer Web based company, no distributor to take a cut such as MD or AS and very limited overhead they should be less expensive not more expensive. I just finished listening to the the new Tone Poet Wayne Shorter ETC. and man does it sound incredible! and the nice thing is I don't feel like someone took advantage of me. Terrific value at $27.00 through a distributor with free shipping ? - I can actually tell my wife how much it really cost...LoL.

14. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

After reading through the whole thread all the positive comments on these first two titles, I just pulled the trigger and order from importcds: Shorter (back order), Corea (back order) and Rivers (pre order)...each for $27.
    I was kicking myself for not pre-ordering the first titles but then I thought "it's now or never!"
    I cannot wait! :wiggle:

15. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Great ...decision! You will enjoy them immensely.... :)

SoundDoctor and puelche like this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks...done..,

audiolab1 likes this.
  17. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

2:27 PM
    Package arrived at a carrier facility
    2:32 AM
    Package departed an Amazon facility
    San Bernardino, CALIFORNIA US.....
    :waiting::waiting::waiting::waiting:

18. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Disappointed.
    Just finished Side 1 of Chick. Too much monkey business coming out of the right side. Visible scratches of varying concern. Clicks & pops throughout the side and when Roy or Chick come down hard, it distorts to the point of clicking. SQ is highly adequate but not in MM territory to these ears.
    Okay, here we go with more right channel clicking on Side 2 but not as bad.
    Too bad. This is “back when Chick was good” and Roy & Miroslav go well together.
    I’ve got Cassandra on pre-order. Fingers crossed. They say women are the nurterers ... :shh:

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have albums that have been played hundreds, if not thousands of times (It has TONS of spindle marks). I don't know of any LPs that have been well taken care of that aren't still great (if great to begin with). I even have a VG+ grade 1st press With The Beatles UK Parlophone LP that, other than some surface noise, sounds great (and it got played a lot before it got into my hands). Honestly, take care of your records and you'll only need one copy.

20. Josquin des Prez

I think you either have a bad pressing, and/or you have cartridge setup issues. My copy plays and sounds sublime.

rxcory likes this.
  21. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Wow...i started collecting records a few years ago and always been under impression that they do not last ...thank you for your encouragement ! Always there is something new... to be learned:)

ausgraeme likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

I'm 60 and started my jazz/classical collection in my teens. I still play records I bought in the early days and they sound great. Most recently a box set of Brendel playing Mozart piano concerti with Academy of St. Martin In-The-Fields. I thought for sure it would have been trashed during my wild youth, but all it needed was cleaning, and it still sounds great.

Don't be paranoid about playing records. Be paranoid about keeping your stylus and records clean. I clean my stylus religiously and no records are played that haven't been cleaned previously, even new ones.

IanL, ausgraeme, Elofan and 2 others like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Played my Chick Corea LP for the second time today - superb with no apparent defects. If you got a bad one, send it back.

24. bluejimbop

fwiw, recent arrivals Marvin Gaye, Donald Fagen, Curtis Mayfield and a 45 year old ECM album all play problem-free. (Give thanks)

25. bluejimbop

Seen.