'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

2 for 2, NHS from Amoeba arrived 5 biz days transit. Perfect and outer wrapper intact.

Cannot wait for Sam Rivers!!

Still gotta love MM but it feels like we stole these titles compared with the MM rollercoaster the past few years. Maybe MM direct prices will ease up.

Carter DeVries and Elofan like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Finally got Etcetera, and good lord, it sounds fantastic. Well done, Joe, Kevin Gray, and Don Was!

My fervent wish for Tone Poet Year 2 is that we get more post-bop titles like:

Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
    Andrew Hill - Smokestack
    Grachan Moncur III - Some Other Stuff
    Jackie McLean - It's Time!
    Tony Williams - Life Time
    Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
    Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue
    Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!
    Ornette Coleman - Town Hall Concert, Vols. 1 & 2
    Tony Williams - Spring
    Andrew Hill - Compulsion
    Jackie McLean - Action Action Action
    Jackie McLean - Vertigo
    Ornette Coleman - At the Golden Circle, Vols. 1 & 2
    Don Cherry - Complete Communion
    Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
    Bobby Hutcherson - Stick-Up!
    Sam Rivers - A New Conception
    Cecil Taylor - Conquistador
    Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia
    Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner
    Wayne Shorter - Super Nova
    Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance (you promised this one, Joe!)

That's one hell of a list, if I do say so myself. I'd be ecstatic to get just a quarter of those at this quality. But I'll keep posting this list once or twice a year in an effort to will this into existence. Myself and a handful of other weirdos would buy every title here, I'm sure.

Help me, Tone Poet Kenobi, you're my only hope!

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

This list is sweet!!! I could have made most of it up myself. Bring it on, @Joe Harley :)

4. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

LOL--I've never understood the compulsion to subscribe to entire series, but if someone were to do a series like this (in high quality), I would subscribe in a heartbeat!

IanL, Joti Cover, Joe Harley and 3 others like this.
  5. Beautiful list - I’m only becoming casually familiar with these albums recently via my Apple Music capabilities and addiction to this forum but I am ready for any or all of these titles.

6. Gabe Walters

Call it the Tone Poet Way Out Series, make clear in marketing blurbs it's the more adventurous side of Blue Note, and press in batches of 500 to test the sales waters. I bet they'd do better than expected.

JHC3, Stu02, Ryan_Pretzel and 2 others like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Schizophrenia is one of my favorites.

bluejimbop and Gabe Walters like this.
  8. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Perfection. This list is perfection. One can only dream.

Let's start looking at Tone Poet Year 3 since the Year 2 wishlist is exactly what I would wish for.

Andrew Hill's Passing Ships, Wayne Shorter's The All Seeing Eye, Jackie McLean's Jacknife, and Lee Morgan's Live at the Lighthouse would be great additions for year 3. Also, to diversify the list, some Pacific Records stuff should be there for variety. I know I'd love some Carmell Jones. Yeah, looking at year 3 might be jumping the gun a little bit, but let's get the ideas rolling. I'm excited for this series and the future of it.

9. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Me if anything close to this list became a reality.

[​IMG]

gr8trak, Stu02, Joti Cover and 6 others like this.
  10. After enjoying Now He Sings... for a few days, I received Shorter’s Etcetera from B&N. Like the Corea album, it came well-shipped and in perfect condition. The album is just exceptional. Absolutely exceptional. It puts a smile on my face when I listen to this incredibly well-remastered album. There is a lot of love, affection, and hard work put in to make these two albums as good as they are today. It show from the stalwart packaging to every sonically brilliant note.

At first, I lamented that B&N didn’t send me the Shorter LP as quickly as Amazon did the Corea album. But now, I am glad that afforded me the opportunity to let each of these albums have their own initial time to be appreciated.

Kudos to the men and women who put these new Tone Poet editions out, especially for some us new-to-Blue Note fans. I am enjoying these records as brand-new items and musical gems that will continue to add to the soundtrack of everything that’s good in life.

Cheers,

Bill

11. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I got Etc today from amazon -- it does sound great. Couple ticks and pops on A2, but nothing major.

The perforation on the outer sleeve was also opened. What is going on with that? Did we ever figure it out?

The jacket is really nice too. Did anybody else notice that the main photo of Wayne on the inside is reversed? Maybe so he's facing the other photos?

12. snowwhat

snowwhat Forum Resident

These are great! Exceptional value for $30 a pop.

My copy of NHS has an admittedly small factory defect (can’t be cleaned) on B2 that causes about 10 tics. So I will try to get a replacement on that. But otherwise, very nice.

scotti likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have the exact same issue on that very song, not quite as many though, plus I bought mine local...obvious there is a pressing issue on this title on some of the copies...it happens.

14. smiff66

smiff66 Forum Resident

As one who is still in the early stages of my jazz education, I really appreciate lists such as this. I'll be exploring them before my discounted 3-month Tidal subscription comes to an end. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and taste with us.

magnet, Joti Cover, AnalogJ and 4 others like this.
  15. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

As nice as the list above is, I hope they continue to cover the full range of things on the label, the finest in jazz from 1939 til now.

bluejimbop likes this.
  16. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Forgive me but is united artists off the table for wishlists? I forgot what was said about it.

ps- if not, money jungle 2020!

17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

This is the list of planned but eventually not reissued titles on Music Matters:

Donald Byrd / Blackjack AMMJ 4259
    Lou Donaldson / Swing and Soul Vol. 3 AMMJ 1566
    Bennie Green / Back On The Scene AMMJ 1587
    Bennie Green / Soul Stirrin' AMMJ 1599
    Jackie McLean / Let Freedom Ring AMMJ 4106
    Horace Parlan / Up And Down AMMJ 4082
    Sonny Rollins / A Night at The Village Vanguard AMMJ 1581
    Donald Byrd/ Fuego MMBST-84026
    Lee Morgan/ The Cooker MMBST-1578
    Hank Mobley/ Hank MMBST-1560
    Stanley Turrentine/ That's Where It's At MMBST-84096

Auditioned:
    Sonny Clarke Trio / BLP-1579
    Donald Byrd / Byrd In Flight BLP-4048

JHC3 and Gabe Walters like this.
  18. Great album! I’ve got a 70s reissue (I think) and I know there was a reissue a few years back, don’t habe that one, regardless, I would be very happy for this one.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What would some of the Pacific Jazz Recordings that you guys would like to see done?

I looked at the discography but its a bit confusing on discogs.

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Chet Baker.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I like Chet Baker. Ive seen many talk about his output on the Pacific Jazz Records label. Listened to a few cuts from several of the albums. Smooth stuff.

I noticed a Clifford Brown album also. "Clifford Brown Ensemble". I liked what I heard. Also "Richard Twardzik Trio Session" is pretty amazing.

I noticed that many of the PJR are very short and were 10" lps? Or am I mistaken. I wonder how that work in the Tone Poet project?

Thare are many artists I know nothing of. Gerald Wilson, Groove Holmes, Jazz Crusaders etc.

Just curious as to what is consider say the top 10 or so PJR's?

recstar24 likes this.
  22. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Is the effect visible well? Just curious.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wow, I really like this one..

Bill Perkins, Richie Kamuca & Art Pepper
    "Just Friends"

24. snowwhat

snowwhat Forum Resident

Yes, there are actually a couple of marks.

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. Gabe Walters

If you like Zappa, these should be right up your alley.