'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

This guy on you tube claims that ETC and NHS of the Tone Poet series have a digital sounding treble because they are digital transfers. I thought these are AAA releases?

2. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

That guy is a crank. Every video of his I’ve ever seen spends more time complaining about reissues (especially Music Matters) than talking about jazz.

JHC3 and Joe Harley like this.
  3. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

4. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Evidence this man is an Ass-clown:
    1.) He thinks the original LT series covers are "cool".
    2.) He keeps crapping on about how he reviewed these on his super high end system, which includes a Schiit Ragnarok. Schiit make great stuff, but I don't think even they think of themselves as top of the line.
    3.) He thinks Joe Harley did the Engineering.
    4.) He is shocked that Tone Poet ETC sounds similar to 198o original, when Music Matters reissues are very different to originals. Moanin by Art Blakey originally pressed in 1958 sounds very different when cut for playback on modern systems in 2014. Go figure.

fitzrik, JHC3, patient_ot and 2 others like this.
  5. They most certainly are AAA releases. I believ Joe confirmed all but State of the Tenor are AAA.

I wonder if that is why the video is already deleted from youtube?

This guy's a joke

Joe Harley, JHC3 and PATB like this.
  6. magnet

magnet Forum Resident

no video, no laugh :)

Mugrug12 likes this.
  7. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Where is he gone?! Sometimes i like to watch those ....

magnet likes this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Do you AD users only use the official AD fluid or can one mix their own concoction (e.g. Audio Intelligent One-Step)?

I'm going to start a thread about this today, so we stop going OT with it.

Fractured and senseabove like this.
  9. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

@Josquin des Prez Please link it here afterwards. I'm really enjoying reading the discussion even though I don't have much to add, but it's easy to get lost on these forums.

Elofan and Josquin des Prez like this.
  10. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Where on earth he'd get that idea is beyond me. They are analog all the way. Kevin's rig is detailed here: Cohearent |

rxcory, Twinsfan007, JHC3 and 15 others like this.
  11. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Interesting, Joe, that a misunderstanding or inaccuracy can potentially get inflated (and I can occasionally be guilty of that). It's good that you can chime in here and correct something like that.

Joe Harley and dastinger like this.
  12. Elofan

Elofan Forum Resident

Thank you for all these wonderfull and affordable alternatives on vinyl! And some people that living in a youtube world should be politely ignored....

13. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I'm sorry Joe, but we're not dumb. I clearly see two computer screens on that picture!!! :laugh:

Joe Harley likes this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Those above posts about these being digital sure put a smile on my face, I needed a Monday afternoon chuckle...

Good news, my local shop informed me last Friday that they have the Sam Rivers - Contours title physically in stock and is in their cart confirmed for street date for me if not a day before...very happy!

Joti Cover, recstar24 and AnalogJ like this.
  15. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Corrected version.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  16. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

17. AnalogJ

Well, that is better. Good for him for acknowledging an error and quickly correcting it.

Joe Harley and Carter DeVries like this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

I'm still too lazy and impatient to watch videos, so I get to miss out on all that silliness. When I read I skim things quickly to avoid wasting time on the fluff. It's a technique I had to learn when I studied historiography as an undergrad history minor.

19. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Etcetera was recorded in 1965, not 1966.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  20. AnalogJ

Here comes another corrected video. ;)

21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Re the video and the solid state label- dunno how it was recorded or mastered but for any sleuths my orignal has bell sound in the runout...

Edit- the Corea album I mean

Elofan and MisterBritt like this.
  22. AnalogJ

Well, I sent Harry Weisfeld an email about this (and other things). He's on his back next a pool in a warm weather destination (Lucky him. We got a foot of snow dumped in our area this morning.). But he told me to look at the VPI forum under Harry's Corner in the Record Cleaning thread. I'm perusing the last several pages. I'm surmising that the common agreement is that US cleaners are great for garage sales finds, doing wonders getting embedded gunk off the record that has adhered over time. But that there's still an issue with the high frequencies getting rolled off, and that most are using good liquid cleaners (w/distilled or RMO water) and a vacuum record cleaning machine.

I'll keep looking in the forum, and when Harry's back from his vacation, I'll ask him about it to get more detail from him personally. But here is the forum, several pages from the last one so you can read for yourself:

vpiforum.com • View topic - Record cleaning

23. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

My original had that as well. It means it was mastered at Bell Sound. It was recorded at A&R by Don Hahn.

aoxomoxoa and Dmann201 like this.
  24. Josquin des Prez

Thanks, but I'm buying the AD anyway. I'll leave it to you to follow the thread there. I think if there were problems with the high end rolling off from cleaning my dealer and their customers would have noticed by now on their 6-figure systems. Otherwise, maybe my 60 year old ears won't notice. I haven't heard anything suspcious so far. In fact, some records have come out sounding better and with more clarity at the high end. :)

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Cool Yes. There was a comment above about whether it was originally recorded and mastered with tubes or solid state. The post is not there anymore I guess it was deleted...