Upcoming WiiM Pro Node Killer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Awesome... thanks for your help and suggestions! I'm somewhat of a computer nitwit so it takes awhile for me to figure things out :help:.

britt2001b likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is anyone using the Qobuz or Tidal app on a laptop (Windows 10) to play music with the WiiM Mini? I'm trying to do it with my laptop and it recognizes the WiiM Mini as a streaming device and Bluetooth but no audio. Is this even possible? No trouble playing Qobuz or Tidal through the laptops speaker.

3. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Any news on this?

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm debating on buying another WiiM Mini instead of waiting for the Pro. Just don't think I'd use the additional features of the Pro. It'd go in a bedroom system using the optical output to an Oppo 105. Don't see any need for a remote as I'll be using my iPhone. Anyone else see the Mini as the better option on a basic system?

rockclassics likes this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Like you I will be using the Wiim in a bedroom headphone system. It will be input for a Schiit Modi DAC via optical cable. But I am waiting for the release and a few reviews of the Pro before making a final decision. Hopefully the Pro will be out in the next few weeks prior to year end.

Bill Mac and Swordsandchains like this.
  6. rockclassics

7. Music Please

Music Please Active Member

It might be a long wait until the Pro finally becomes available to the retail market (maybe 1st qtr+ '23). Just get the mini for now and play it. It costs less than most audio cables.

You can get a factory refurb one off eBay for $65 shipped.

WiiM Mini AirPlay 2 Wireless Hi-Res Audio Streamer 195893478101 | eBay

8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Looks like an interesting product. However, it doesn’t look like it can access files we own and store on a NAS via wireless connection. Is that correct?

9. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

No experience with a NAS but I have an external HD hooked up to my Marantz PM7000N and the Wiim Mini perfectly found it and is able to play files from it, even if the Marantz is “switched off” (it never really is switched off unless you unplug the powercord) so I don’t see why the Wiim Pro would not be able to do so.

andrewrona and sharedon like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How did you set your WiiM Mini to find the Marantz PM7000N? It'd be great if my Mini could find my Oppo 203 which my external hard drives are connected to. Does it work because the Marantz has HEOS?

11. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

That is my question too. how do you get these things to play tracks from an SSD?

12. ChrisEfterklang

Did nothing, the WiiM just found it by itself. No idea how but I think it has something to do with HEOS because when I access the HD the PM7000N display, while still in stand-by mode, indicates HEOS.

13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I have that same amp and, if I connected a hard drive, why would I need the Wiim to listen to local files, since the Marantz’ DAC is used either way?

14. jamesthegator

jamesthegator Forum Resident

I’d really like to see WiiM become Roon ready! It’s on their roadmap.

15. ChrisEfterklang

Because my Wiim Mini is not used on my Marantz but is hooked up to a much older second system in my home office

16. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wiim can play local files via DLNA

cnolanh and AmosM like this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Makes perfect sense.

18. ChrisEfterklang

John Darko reviews the Mini and the Pro:

hifisoup likes this.
  19. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

He glosses over the significance of Alexacast which the Node doesn't offer. Native casting from Amazon app

recstar24 and Dr. J. like this.
  20. Swordsandchains

21. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Forum Resident

I'm interested in the Pro, but I'll wait until it's really Roon Ready. I've learned my lesson buying electronics with promised future features.

22. Swordsandchains

Not sure why to get the Pro if its the same DAC as the mini, might as well save the money and put it towards a good dac

23. slater529

slater529 Forum Resident

The Pro has ethernet connection, the Mini is wifi only. The Pro has coax out, the mini does not. Those two features make it worthwhile to me.

dover1968, cnolanh, hifisoup and 2 others like this.
  24. rockclassics

Over on the Wiim community forum, the Wiim Team posted the following about release date of the Wiim Pro -

25. AmosM

AmosM Courtier to Queen Jane

I ordered one a few hours ago. It's available.