Updated KLH Model 5... has anyone experienced it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChrisR2060, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Which do you prefer?

2. Andik777

Andik777 Well-Known Member

They are totally different, Proac used with Accuphase E370 and Lumin X1, I now have a Lumin M1 (lent to me by a friend) so I can't speak to the differences. Enjoy the Proac, and I'm sure the day I have a better quality amp I'll enjoy the KLH. Model five for its price/sound quality, it is EXCELLENT.

timind likes this.
  3. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

Anyone tried a Hegel H190 (or another Hegel) with the Model 5s? Curious how the Hegel house sound pairs with these speakers. Finding I might want a little more bass definition than I'm getting from the Denon 1700-NE. The Denon is very full and fat in the bass and mids but not the last word in definition.

Paimon likes this.
  4. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I know this will be irrelevant sooner rather than later, but looks like Model 5 is on sale for $999 right now.

KLH Model Five (English Walnut)

New model imminent?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

That's $999 each.

No new model coming anytime soon.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. terzinator

yep, sorry, $2000 a pair vs $2500 regular price.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

A holiday shopping season discount.

Get yours today!

macster likes this.
  8. terzinator

It's a no-brainer

[​IMG]

9. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

They look really great in your room.

McLover and terzinator like this.
  10. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Very, Very nice :agree: the KLH Model Fives look right at home :righton:

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Anyone using them with different, higher stands, like the Linton type?

12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Love your room! What's the upright bass? I have an old mid-50's Kay which is living with one of my sons.

13. ktg807

ktg807 Forum Resident

I think they'd look pretty silly on higher stands. They're quite a bit larger than the Linton speakers.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  14. terzinator

It's an Engelhardt, which apparently is a Kay in later years. Probably early 70's I'm guessing.

My kid played in high school, but I keep it in the house for when my jam mates come over so the bass players don't need to schlep anything.

kt66brooklyn and Fender Relic like this.
  15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Even larger speakers are used like that: Spendor 100, Harbeth 40, Yamaha NS-5000, Atalante 5...

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

A friend and I visited a local dealer yesterday to listen to Klipsch speakers. Although the dealer wanted to show off his pair of Klipsch Jubilees (humongous), my friend was mainly interested in the reference line. I couldn't stay in the room while he was listening to the Klipsch, but did wander out to a room with a pair of KLH Model 5s hooked up.

Once I got the sales guy to turn off the Dire Straits, and play some music I was interested in, my impression was a huge WOW, these sound great! Because of the set up, I can't really speak to their imaging, but the soundstage was super wide. Of course, they were being played much louder than I would normally listen, so I'd have to hear them at sane levels for a while. But man, they got my interest.

And interestingly, the KLH home office is in Noblesville, IN, which is officially my zip code.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  17. terzinator

them's fighting words :)

kt66brooklyn and timind like this.
  18. timind

timind phorum rezident

Nothing wrong with DS, I listened to them a lot 40 years ago. But I don't need to hear them now, especially if I'm demoing speakers. I think the sales guy figured, this old guy probably would enjoy something off Brothers In Arms. I suppose it was better than the Fleetwood Mac he played for my buddy. edit: ;)

19. FromMysticStreet

FromMysticStreet Forum Resident

I think I was one of the first to have these back in the beginning of the thread. Glad to say that I still listen to these everyday as much as I can and they still bring immense enjoyment. Haven’t had a moment where I had an upgrade bug or any sort of regret. Mostly now I just focus on acquiring more music. Some things I’ve recently enjoyed on the KLH 5s this week:

Current 93
    Circle (from Finland)
    German Oak
    Katatonia
    This Heat
    Broadcast
    Roky Erickson and the Aliens
    Lubricated Goat
    Pharaoh Sanders
    Selda

every genre and recording quality is enjoyed equally as the model 5s never miss a beat for me.

ETSEQ, Crakers7, ktg807 and 2 others like this.
  20. Elan

Elan Member

Klh model 5 around 500 hours of play now.
    Room 45m2 7m x 4.3m
    From box nothing special bright and bass tripping no definition
    After run in....less bright...bass very good....mids lack of body....amp depended.
    Dac Chord qutest + gaN wall charger Usb C output ( more clarity and definition in hole range vs original power supply)
    Amps tested.
    Musical fidelity m5si ( ok pairing but not great).....bass region very good..speed 8/10 definition is there. texture ok. body 7/10
    Mids ....lacking body lack of presence and clarity bit shouty
    Highs too bright ( room depended and dac type and also mf sound signature)
    Hegel H2 P2.....old ( take this with lot of salt) plenty of power KLH 5 likes power
    Speakers breathing to full, sound in air no more box sound. Full body sound.
    Meat on 10/10
    Clarity 5/10
    Speed 5/10
    That particular amp sound signature better for vocals mid and high tones.
    Bass not good too slow muddy on high volume becoming worse( maybe high damping factor don't go well with acoustic suspension speakers,I don't known) MF 5si much better in bass and all-round separation...hegel sound for me is too slow and muddy( that amp maybe new hegel will play different)
    Vincent 237 mkii... In the middle between hegel and m5si but something was missing.
    My conclusion -more power better
    Warmer amp with full body sound will be great pairing with slight roll of highs if you have lively room.
    Also analytical DAC no go with klh tweeters
    When I find amp will let you know.
    Speakers alone very good not amazing maybe after maching dac and amp or all in one Gold Note is 1000 .
    I would be very grateful if someone is willing to comment is 1000.
    Thank you and happy new year.

21. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

My buddy recently got a pair. Out of the box, I thought he made a huge mistake. I visited a month later and was blown away!

kt66brooklyn, ktg807 and Crakers7 like this.
  22. ktg807

ktg807 Forum Resident

Yup, I very nearly returned mine. I had a 60 day return window so I let them cook for another week before making up my mind. Then one day I played records all day long and everything just sort of settled in. I've been happy with them ever since.

timind likes this.
  23. Johnnnny-oooops

Johnnnny-oooops Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a subwoofer suggestion for the KLH model 5? Love mine tons, but in my larger salon (8m X 14m X 3.3m, speakers on short wall 3.5m apart flanking fireplace, listening couch about 4m back) they can get a little overwhelmed in the bass department. Given the acoustic suspension and accompanying slow roll-off, does anyone have any suggestions? Open to a single subwoofer (which would have to be line level because I run with monoblocks) or dual (which would have to be speaker level or with an XLR splitter, same reason)

24. CPR267

CPR267 Well-Known Member

I was wondering where you landed with your amp choice, since I'll be using my Cronus Magnum II to power the M5's. Just ordered them and I'm trying to figure out which ohm setting to try first, 4 or 8.

25. robgnyc

robgnyc Active Member

I have till Jan 31st I think to return the Denon.

I'd like to buy the Cronus Magnum but realistically, I don't know if I want to deal with tubes. So will probably keep the Denon unless something pops up in next week or two. It's better than anything I've heard with the Model 5's except for the Chronus Magnum.