Updating The Bee Gees' "Tales From The Brothers Gibb"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clark V Kauffman, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently found a reasonably priced used copy of the 4-CD compilation "Tales From The Brothers Gibb," a boxed-set of hits and rarities that was first issued in 1990 and is now, sadly, out of print in the U.S.

In addition to providing the best overview of the Bee Gees' career, this set offers first-rate sound quality and some excellent, unique stereo mixes. The only problem is that it was released 13 years before the Bee Gees' recording career ended -- so it omits eight or nine essential Bee Gees' classics from those last few albums.

While burning the set to CD-R for the car, I decided to rectify that problem. I expanded the set to five discs, and limited the first four discs to studio recordings. All of the live material that was originally on Disc 4 was then moved to Disc 5, where it was augmented by more lives tracks from the "Storytellers" CD and the "Live By Request" DVD. (Putting all of the live material on one disc -- with all of the songs from each of the three featured performances sequenced without any fades -- makes for a much smoother listening experience.)

I hope Rhino or some other label considers re-releasing, and updating, this classic set at some point. It's definitely one of the best boxed sets of the CD era.

Here's my own track listing for Disc Four and Disc Five, with all of the newly added tracks marked by an asterisk:

Disc 4
    He's A Liar
    Another Lonely Night in NY
    The Woman In You
    Someone Belonging To Someone
    Toys
    ESP (studio version, not the demo) *
    You Win Again
    Ordinary Lives
    One
    Tokyo Nights *
    Secret Love *
    The Only Love *
    Heartbreaker (studio) *
    Islands In The Stream (studio) *
    For Whom The Bell Tolls *
    This Is Where I Came In *
    Alone *
    Immortality *

Disc 5
    Juliet (One For All Tour)
    To Love Somebody (One For All Tour)
    Medley: New York Mining Disaster / Holiday / Too Much Heaven / Heartbreaker / Islands In The Stream / Run To Me / World (One For All Tour)
    Spicks And Specks (One For All Tour)
    Words (from the "Storytellers" Target-exclusive CD) *
    I Started A Joke (from the "Storytellers" Target-exclusive CD) *
    Jive Talkin' (from the "Storytellers" Target-exclusive CD) *
    I've Gotta Get A Message To You (from the "Storytellers" Target-exclusive CD) *
    To Love Somebody (from the "Storytellers" Target-exclusive CD) *
    Nights on Broadway (Live By Request) *
    Wedding Day (Live By Request) *
    Lonely Days (Live By Request) *
    How Deep Is Your Love (Live By Request) *
    You Should Be Dancin' (Live By Request) *

WolfSpear, jonathan and JeffMo like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I like your idea of expanding the boxset and making it comprehensive, but to do it right would require the inclusion of all Bee Gees singles (A-sides and B-Sides), more solo material from the brothers, and at least a few of the Australian era songs. Looks like you are missing the singles "Living Eyes", "Angela", "Paying The Price of Love", "Happy Ever After", "Still Waters" and maybe a couple of others.

Therefore I would scrap the live material altogether. Also, if I was the curator, the set would include "Shine Shine", "Boys Do Fall In Love" and the tribute to Andy "Wish You Were Here".

3. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

I keep playing around with my own multi disc comp.
    At present it looks like this:

The Battle Of The Blue And The Grey
    The Three Kisses Of Love
    Timber!
    Wine And Women
    I Want Home
    Cherry Red
    Monday's Rain
    Spicks And Specks
    I Am The World
    New York Mining Disaster 1941
    I Can't See Nobody
    To Love Somebody
    Holiday
    Massachusetts
    Barker Of The UFO
    World
    Sir Geoffrey Saved The World
    Words
    Sinking Ships
    And The Sun Will Shine
    Jumbo
    The Singer Sang His Song
    I've Gotta Get A Message To You
    Kitty Can
    Idea
    I Started A Joke
    Kilburn Towers

Odessa (City On The Black Sea)
    First Of May
    Lamplight
    Marley Purt Drive
    Melody Fair
    Tomorrow Tomorrow
    Sun In My Morning
    Don't Forget To Remember
    I.O.I.O.
    Lonely Days
    Morning Of My Life
    How Can You Mend A Broken Heart
    Country Woman
    Walking Back To Waterloo
    My World
    On Time
    Run To Me
    Alive
    Saw A New Morning

Wouldn't I Be Someone
    Elisa
    Mr. Natural
    It Wouldn't Matter Much To Me
    Charade
    Heavy Breathing
    Jive Talkin'
    Wind Of Change
    Nights On Broadway
    Fanny (Be Tender With My Love)
    You Should Be Dancing
    Love So Right
    Love Me
    Boogie Child
    How Deep Is Your Love
    Stayin' Alive
    If I Can't Have You
    More Than A Woman
    Night Fever

Too Much Heaven
    Rest Your Love On Me
    Tragedy
    Love You Inside Out
    Spirits (Having Flown)
    He's A Liar
    Living Eyes
    Wildflower
    Cryin' Every Day
    The Woman In You
    Someone Belonging To Someone
    You Win Again
    E.S.P.
    Ordinary Lives
    One
    Bodyguard
    Wish You Were Here

Secret Love
    When He's Gone
    Paying The Price Of Love
    My Destiny
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Kiss Of Life
    How To Fall In Love, Pt. 1
    Alone
    Rings Around The Moon
    I Could Not Love You More
    Love Never Dies
    Still Waters Run Deep
    Irresistible Force
    Man In The Middle
    This Is Where I Came In
    I Will Be There

granata, JDeanB, belushipower and 2 others like this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

No "Tokyo Nights" in your comp? Ouch! That's one of their best latter-day tracks from the 1990s...
    And no "Don't Throw It All Away" in there? Blasphemy!

Actually, that's a great compilation you have there. Hard to argue with those selections.

Warren Hawk likes this.
  5. Cloudbuster

You can't have it all. I'm gutted that there was no room for Baby As You Turn Away.
    Here's to a six-disc comp. :D

JeffMo and Warren Hawk like this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Yeah, the live material is not essential. I'd be happy to see them just revise Disc 4 so the whole set is nothing but studio tracks covering their whole career, with no live material.
    But my Disc 4, with the newly added studio tracks, clocks in at more than 78 minutes, so there'd be no way to add the studio tracks you mention without either omitting some of the songs on the real version of Disc 4 or expanding to five discs.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Good point - I am so used to making playlists now I tend to ignore 80 min (old 74 minute) and 90 minute (cassette) limitations! But you could stretch it to six discs, still scrap the live material, and be more inclusive at each end (Australia, later years) with just studio material.

@Cloudbuster, that is quite a playlist you have!

Cloudbuster likes this.
  8. Cloudbuster

I'll probably be modifying it until the day I die, lol.

9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I don't have this set but I did pick up Mythology, original release still sealed, a month ago - but have not opened it yet. Debating on if I should look for "Tales.." also.

Pat

10. Clark V Kauffman

If you can find it at a decent price, grab it. They are getting a bit scarce. There are a lot of songs you'll only find on CD on that set, and the consensus among fans is that it also has the best sound of any compilation released so far. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but I found a copy in the original 12" x 12" format, with booklet, all in very good condition, for 20 bucks. A steal.

As I recall, the non-USA versions of this set include three solo Barry Gibb tracks not found on the American version.

JeffMo, PTgraphics and Cloudbuster like this.
  11. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

I simply put together a fifth disc to complement the set. Seven of my 10 tracks match up with seven of your new nine! My unique tracks are "Emotion," "Still Waters Run Deep" and "Man In The Middle."

1. Secret Love
    2. For Whom The Bell Tolls
    3. Emotion
    4. Heartbreaker
    5. Alone
    6. Still Waters Run Deep
    7. Immortality
    8. This Is Where I Came In
    9. Man In The Middle
    10. Islands In The Stream

12. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

These are all great ideas for expanding the Tales box. And I agree with everyone on most every point.....but am I the only one here that goes for the "deeper cuts" when I make Bee Gees playlists/compilations?? I really love songs like "Back Home", "I Can Bring Love", "Dogs", "Lovers", and "Can't Keep A Good Man Down". These are so overlooked. I do agree that they should compile all the single mixes of every track. Tales does a great job in what it did....but there are tons of single mixes that have never been released on disc to this day...aren't there? The BIG one I am referring to is the UK or some country single version of "Children Of The World" which I have heard is quite a bit different than the studio album version. Or is this just a myth?? I'd so love to at least get a chance to hear it one day. Bonus tracks or even a bonus disc would have been nice for these new Japanese reissues from this year and last. I'm not complaining though as I bought TWIMC and it sounds unbelievable to me. Best version by far in my opinion! Cheers!!!

13. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

I would add some of the Aussie track, basically the Gibb-original A-sides amd the odd non-album B-side ("I Want Home" and "I Am the World", I don't count Turn Around, Look at Us as a studio album). For CD 4 I'd toss out the live tracks and add more single A-sides and the odd rare B-sides (including both group and solo outings). I would expand the set to include all single A-sides, rare B-sides, bonustracks and non-album tracks up to 2001. It will probably boost the set to a 6 CD set but so be it.

14. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I have this set. Bought it a few months ago for $16.00. I really love it but I wish they included songs the Brothers wrote for other performers.

15. ferdinandhudson

Due to the lack of era-specific comps post-Greatest rounding up all their singles I've done some of my own. One being a 81-88 era comp mainly focusing on the last days of RSO and the subsequent solo work mainly with Polydor. This is followed by a 1987-91 Warner Bros era comp and lastly a 1993-2001 comp rounding off the end of the group. With some slight modifications they'd be a good continuation of a revised Tales set.

The 1981-88 comp:
    He's a Liar
    Living Eyes
    Paradise
    The Woman in You
    Juliet [Robin Gibb]
    Someone Belonging to Someone
    Life Goes On
    How Old Are You? [Robin Gibb]
    Another Lonely Night in New York [Robin Gibb]
    Boys Do Fall in Love [Robin Gibb]
    Shine Shine [Barry Gibb]
    Secret Agent [Robin Gibb]
    Face to Face [Barry Gibb & Olivia Newton-John]
    Fine Line [Barry Gibb]
    Hold Her in Your Hand [Maurice Gibb]
    In Your Diary [Robin Gibb]
    Like a Fool [Robin Gibb]
    Toys [Robin Gibb]
    We're the Bunburys
    Childhood Days [Barry Gibb]

I didn't bother sourcing the single versions so the above took 2 CDs to fit ~84 minutes of material on them. With the single versions I'd be able to squeeze it in just below 80 minutes. For a resequenced Tales set I'd move "Childhood Days" between the ESP and High Civilization tracks for the next disc to keep it chronological and still keep the full versions and make this the real Tales disc 4.

The 1987-1991 Warner Bros comp:
    You Win Again
    ESP
    Crazy for Your Love
    Angela
    Ordinary Lives
    One
    Tokyo Nights
    Bodyguard
    Secret Love
    When He's Gone
    Happy Ever After
    The Only Love

For the Warner Bros comp I did have the majority of the single versions handy so that was what ended up here. For Tales disc 5 I'd add the non-album track "Shape of Things to Come" from the 1988 Olympics album along with the above mentioned "Childhood Days".

The 1993-2001 Polydor comp:
    Paying the Price of Love
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    How to Fall in Love, part 1
    Kiss of Life
    Alone
    I Could Not Love You More
    Still Waters (Run Deep)
    Ellan Vannin
    This Is Where I Came In
    Sacred Trust
    Heartbreaker

This rounds up the remaining singles before the end. For the revised Tales I'd include some non-album tracks such as "My Destiny", "855-7019", "Decadance", "Love Never Dies", "Rings Around the Moon", "Emotion", the cover of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow", "I Will Be There", "Islands in the Stream", "The Bridge", "Angel of Mercy" and why not throw in "Sensuality" to add something really rare and awesome to the set. This will probably bring the disc total to about 7 and I haven't even rounded up the odd solo work Barry and Robin did post-Bee Gees...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    JeffMo likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Fun lists guys - I will makes a Tales Vol 2 set this weekend!

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
  17. ferdinandhudson

I also played around a bit with disc 1 of Tales. I included all the Aussie A-sides, plus the B-sides that didn't turn up on Sing and Play and Spicks and Specks. I dropped "I Can't See Nobody" from the original tracklist and ended the disc with First of May, I also made disc 1 all MONO.

For disc 2 I would like to add more of the solo work like "One Million Years", "August October", "I've Come Back" and "This Time" (the latter two have been ignored for far too long already!). I'm not sure how much of this will affect the disc break at this point but I would like to have the Mr Natural tracks go alongside the songs from Main Course for disc 3 but preferably nothing prior to those.

On top of moving the Mr Natural tracks over to disc 3 I can see myself adding a few more and effectively splitting it across two CDs, heck, I might even put the Living Eyes and Staying Alive OST tracks right after the Spirits tracks and leave the following disc all about the 80s solo stuff!

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

19. ferdinandhudson

No, mastering and song selection on Tales trumps Mythology which is a bit of an earsore for me. The only reason to get Mythology is for "Hold Her In Your Hand", "Angel of Mercy", "The Bridge" and "Arrow Through the Heart" and even then I'd wish they sounded better.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm still irritated that this box doesn't include "Lamplight" because in Germany it was an a-side in 1969. But from an American/ British perspective it's obviously just a b-side that's also on "Odessa". STILL I feel it somehow belongs on here;)

21. Cloudbuster

Lamplight was the B side to First Of May, it just happened to get a lot of airplay on German radio. Deservedly so, great track.
    The Bee Gees Discography - Germany - 45cat »

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

https://www.discogs.com/Bee-Gees-Lamplight-First-Of-May/release/1746796

It's a bit of a fascinating release since the sequence on the vinyl still has "1st Of May" on the first side. While the - new unique - picture sleeve clearly promotes "Lamplight" as lead track. So technically in Germany it is both, a AND b. This is why it received lots and lots of airplay:)

Cloudbuster likes this.
  23. Cloudbuster

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

A list with "Wish You Were Here" and "Irresistible Force"...
    So, my favourite is: Cloudbuster's list. :D

(Sorry, but i like very much these two songs) ;) :)

JeffMo and Cloudbuster like this.
  25. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

I bought it as a Christmas present for myself, and it is excellent. The price can fluctuate a fair amount, but you can pick it up for a good price.

The packaging is great, but more importantly, this is one of the best sounding Gibb brothers' collection, on CD - go for it!

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.