Upgrade my Polk RT5 or stay put?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tiers4peers, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiers4peers

tiers4peers New Member Thread Starter

Hello all, I'm new here! Happy to be on these forums.

For l for most of my life as a young adult I've been listening to music using digital formats -- mostly streaming. That changed when I got into vinyl about a year and a half ago. Here's my current set up:

Rega P2 with stock Rega Carbon (AT3600) cart
    ART DJ Pre II
    NAD D 3045
    Polk Audio RT5 bookshelf speakers
    Velodyne MiniVee 8" sub
    Basic RCA, power, and speaker cables.
    No room treatment.

Out of all these pieces I've had the Polk RT5's the longest. Thrifted these speakers many years ago and have always loved its smooth, mellow sound regardless of the amps I paired it with -- from a cheap Lepai 2020A+ for many years, NAD 712, and now the NAD D 3045. At the same time, valid concern or not, I am getting the feeling that it's the weak link in my system.

My question is, do you guys think I'll see a big improvement would I expect from upgrading the Polk RT5's to something available now in the $500 range? Or, save money and aim for a better speaker? Or, upgrade a different component?

What I'm aiming for: maintain the smooth, mellow sound while adding more presence in vocals and midrange, and better imaging (i.e., being able to place instruments in the room).

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  2. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I absolutely have a recommendation for you. Purchase the now discontinued Polk LSiM 703, the smaller of the three flagship Polk speakers. The LSiM series was in a different league, and I think you can still score a pair of the the smaller, but large LSiM 703, so called, (3) way bookshelf speakers, a real two steps up from where you are now. The good thing about the LSiM 703, you can secure a pair at about 1/2 the list price, as they were just discontinued. You will not do any better, and you will be improving your fidelity by leaps and bounds. Here are a few quick pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tiers4peers

Thanks for the suggestion on the LSiM 703 and sharing those pics! Really liking that mahogany finish. Seeing lots of great reviews on it too, and seems like it would fit the smooth, laid back sound profile I'm looking for.

One additional data point to add -- my listening space is somewhat small 12 x 14. How would the LSiM 703s work in a small-room setting?

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

That's not a mahogany finish, that's the Mt. Vernon cherry finish. The wood veneer itself is some type of Asian mahogany, which is nothing like Honduras mahogany. The other finish Polk offered is called Midnight mahogany, which is a black toner coat over the cherry finish. In bright light it has a purple hue.

All that said, yes your speakers are the weak link.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Self-answered.

6. Litejazz53

It is absolutely the perfect speaker for your situation, and so affordable. Additionally, if you want a more than robust top end, which I really enjoy, add these as some point in time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Polk LSiM 703 with either the Aperion Planar Magnet Super Tweeter OR the Aperion Full Ribbon Super Tweeter! The 703 is considered a bookshelf speaker, but it is a big one, great build quality, heavy, and three way design. The perfect speaker for you!

7. tiers4peers

Thought I owed folks a quick update:

After taking in Litejazz53's very compelling advice I made it my personal mission to score a pair of LSiM 703's. Unfortunately, the the current price of $800 for a pair, plus shipping, was a bit too steep for my liking.

By stroke of luck, a practically brand new (auditioned once per seller) pair of Mt. Vernon Cherry's popped up at my local online marketplace for $500! Had all the goodies -- boxes, cloth cover, manuals. Couldn't pounce on them quick enough! Brought these babies home after a 2-hour round trip drive:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will need to do more listening tomorrow, but first impression at low volumes is the sound signature is very, very close to my RT5's, but with a much more transparent midrange, better imaging, and fuller bass. Tempted to say that this is exactly the sound I've been looking for. Can't wait to enjoy these in the coming weeks!

Huge shoutout to Litejazz53 for pointing me in the right direction and all who chimed in!

8. Litejazz53

I am indeed thrilled you jumped on a fantastic Polk deal, they look fantastic. Your stands look great and your entire setup is so neat and clean, I love the look. I'm going to offer one more tip. If you decide you want some extended clarity on the top end, here is a tweak you will not be sorry you added! These super tweeters are such a great add to an already great speakers system. I just wanted to mention these add on tweeters, they fit like a glove on your speakers, if and when you decide to try them. I know where a pair is, AS NEW, just let me know if you might be interested. Your system looks great, congratulations on a very, very good find, and you got the best color as well!!! :righton:

[​IMG]

9. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Why do some people put lamps, ceramic stuff, etc. on top of loudspeakers? I just don't understand why you would want something resonating on top of a loudspeaker. Am I missing something here? Nice speakers by the way. :)

10. Litejazz53

It's a feeling of completeness, in the case of his birds, they are the finishing touch, I love the birds! They are just the perfect size for his speakers. I hope he has some small stick on felt pads, pretty sure he does. One does have to be very careful, as higher volumes can indeed cause them to vibrate off Which actually almost happened to me yesterday. In my case, I had a Chinese platter on top of a small subwoofer and it started walking towards the edge, so you absolutely have to watch the decorative pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.