Upgrade or save more?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CMT, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Normally once the unit is built it would take just a few days to reach the U.S. That's how it was when I bought my Reflex M. The pandemic situation is obviously going to slow down international shipping though. Hope you like your new phono stage.

CMT likes this.
  2. CMT

CMT Forum Resident Thread Starter

We'll see, but I was basing a three-week shipping estimate on how long it's been taking for LP and CD purchases to get here from Europe. "A few days" seems optimistic, but one can hope!

patient_ot likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Mine shipped UPS Worldwide. Not sure if they are still using that service or not.

CMT likes this.
  4. CMT

I don't know, but that would be great. I'm going still assume Mid-August so that I'm pleasantly surprised if it shows up early :)

patient_ot likes this.
  5. CMT

Well, just got a notice saying that my new Graham Slee Accession phono stage will be here on Monday, August 3--sooner than I thought.

My local dealer has never heard an Outlaw rr2160 before (my current main amp) and is curious to, so he suggested that while I've got it out of its rack I should bring it and the new phono stage into the showroom so he can hear it and I can compare it with other amps as I suspect that the Outlaw will one day power the secondary system in the bedroom and that I'll upgrade to something even better for the main system.

Not that I'm planning to do that soon, it's just that getting it out of the rack is a real chore, so I won't do it just to do some comparative listening. I'll HAVE to move it to plug in the new phono stage, so it'll be out anyway. Doing some comparisons in the show room sounds like fun. I will also report back on what I think of the phono stage, of course, as soon as I've had a chance to really hear it.

raindog69 and Uglyversal like this.
  6. CMT

Well, it's here. I'm listening to this today. I listened to it yesterday, but I listening to it again, this time with my new Graham Slee phono stage finally installed (took me all day to get it set up because my amp is in such a tight space that it's a real pain to plug and unplug things). Also, I took it over to my local dealer and we compared the new stage with the built-in stage in my Outlaw rr2160 amp. The new one really is a big improvement over the one in the amp although the one in the amp is pretty good. A bit startling actually how good the new one is, though. Much greater clarity, space, and detail. I've never before had a mono switch and this mono recording sounds great on the mono setting. It's almost like a new recording. Very pleased. They say it will take about two weeks to break in, so it should get even better....

[​IMG]

patient_ot and raindog69 like this.
  7. CMT

Getting some quality time with the new phono stage. Liking it very much for its clarity and sound stage, but it seems to emphasize the higher frequency more than I like When I bought by new KEF R3 speakers, I noticed that KEF recommended against toe in. I ultimately decided to toe them in very slightly as I felt then that the high end needed a bit of a boost. So, now I'm thinking it might be best to remove the toe in to slightly town down the higher frequencies. Does that make sense?

8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Definitely try adjusting the speakers. With that phono stage + a good cartridge, you're going to hear what's on the record, nothing more, nothing less. Not sure about those speakers, but many do have a top-end boost. You may also want to experiment with capacitance loading for your 2M Bronze. I am not sure offhand which setting is best for the 2M Bronze but there are adjustment switches on the back of the Accession. Note that not everyone will hear the difference between a different capacitance load due to age-related high frequency hearing loss.

CMT likes this.
  9. CMT

Well, I removed the toe-in completely and it began to sound a bit dull. Restored the toe-in to half of where it was, and it sounds great.

Or maybe this is my cue to start salivating over a tube amp to warm up the sound? :)

As for changing the capacitance, going which way will have what affect on higher-frequency response? Now it's set at 100.

10. CMT

Well, my new phono stage has been here for a couple of weeks now. It actually arrived quite quickly, on August 3. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed at first. It sounded rather strident and overly bright at first, but, remembering what the company says about the circuitry needing about two weeks to settle in, I wasn't TOO worried, and the sound actually changed quite markedly very quickly. In the first hour, even, I heard a change, and after about a week, it was sounding quite sweet. Very pleased now. I love having the mono switch, which really makes a positive difference in listening to older mono recordings. I have only a handful old enough to make the setting for British or American EQ (as opposed to RIAA) worth using, but when that's appropriate, it, too, makes quite a difference. Quite remarkable how good some very old mono recordings can sound. I also got some better interconnects (Wire World Equinox 8). So, now I'm quite pleased and feeling I'm almost at that point where I'll not need to buy any more components again (I'm 60 and I figure these will last the rest of my life and beyond).

NOW, HOWEVER, I'm beginning to think my amplifier is the weak link in my system and have sort got an itch to upgrade that--although, at the same time, I keep telling myself I'd have to spend a lot of money to hear a real difference. That said, I have my eye on the Prima Luna Evo 400 amplifier. Would that be a significant upgrade from my Outlaw Audio rr2160? I really don't want to upgrade for imaginary improvement....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.