Upgrade recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dani Kalmar, Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

As a Rega owner I would not go lower than a 3. You should easily be able to find a used RP3 in your price range.

Cyclone Ranger and displayname like this.
  2. Dani Kalmar

Dani Kalmar Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Isn't the SB adding any value other than the ability to play 45's with a touch of a button ?

3. Dani Kalmar

The problem with RP3 for me is the need to raise the tonearm base in order to use my existing cartridge. I do not want to buy a new cartridge at the moment. I read reports that after installing spacers below the tonearm base, the lid does not close anymore.

4. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

The AT-LP120 was my third TT I tried when I decided to revive my old record collection. In my previous attempt I tried both a REGA RP1 and a Pro-Ject Debut II and unless something drastic changed with REGA and Pro-Ject product placement strategy I would not recommend their entry level products, unless of course you want to experiment what corner cutting manufacturing, bare bone lack of features and shoddy construction really means.

The P3 seems like a decent product but honestly I doubt it's really worth the +5,000 NIS for which it is sold here in Israel. I upgraded my LP120 to a used Technics SL1210M5g maybe that's something you would care to consider?

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I used to have a P3, I can assure you that a 2mm spacer is insufficient to cause a problem with the lid closing was it should.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

pro-Ject Classic, $1,000 come with a 2m cart mounted, you can slide that 2m blue right into place.

7. Dani Kalmar

Should I even bother to look for a modified/restored TD160 or similar ? Would that be better value for money?

8. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Maybe also a little better speed control, but I'm not sure on that.

9. Dani Kalmar

I think they claim that SB is ensuring the speed is accurate so maybe without it the speed is less accurate ?

10. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Yeah, the acrylic platter should provide better speed, and the speedbox should tighten that up a little more as well. Like I said, those upgrades certainly earn their price point of the regular Debut. But it's the same plinth, same motor, same arm - which are the items that steered me to other options at that price point.

11. Dani Kalmar

Ii makes sense to consider used gear but I will not buy another DJ style TT. I don't need the extra electronics that give me no benefits and might have negative impact on playback quality.

12. Dani Kalmar

How about the current Thorens models ? Locally I can get the TD240-2 (fully automatic that I don't really care about) and also TD235 which appears to be similar but semi-automatic and the price difference between them is huge.
    (5000 NIS for 240-2 & 3200 NIS for 235)
    So the TD235 is more or less same price bracket as Rega Planar 2 and Project Debut Carbon Esprit.
    How these 3 compare in terms of quality and sound ?

13. Dani Kalmar

Other alternatives that may fit into my budget are DUAL models CS505-4 & CS526.
    Any thoughts on these models?

14. Dani Kalmar

There is a very good deal on Amazon.de for Thorens TD-206. 725 euros.
    The review I found here (Thorens TD 206 review | What Hi-Fi? ) is not very favorable but it might be attributed to the stock cartridge.
    I'd like to know if it is possible to fit a 2M Blue on this Thorens tonearm ?
    Any thoughts ??

15. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

Still recommend the MoFi Studio deck sans cart. Dollar for dollar very good TT.

16. Dani Kalmar

Thanks for the input but I can't get this TT over here, and really would like to know if the TD206 arm can be fitted with Ortofon 2M cartridge.

17. Dani Kalmar

Another model I can get here for a reasonable price is DUAL CS-505-4. Is it an issue that this model does not come with detachable RCA cables so you are forced to use the hard wired cables ?

18. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

That Thorens comes with a 1/2” type cartridge, the same as the 2m so it should fit. The $817 US dollar amt you quoted is 1/2 it’s list price so that’s a deal for sure. If new my view is yes, if used I would pass. The ProJect Classic $1 K, without cart is very well made in my estimation. Just sayin.

19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

They don't sort of force anything, in fact they conveniently sell 2mm spacers at about $30 a pop... ;)

I can't be the only one who thinks 2 mm increments is not precise enough for VTA adjustment, right?

20. Dani Kalmar

I don't think I have seen the Project Classic sold locally. Are you referring to the Classic with SB feature and VTA adjustable tonearm ?

21. Stanton56

Stanton56 Forum Resident

No just The Classic. The SB is $500 more with the cartridge I believe. There sold online or from Project I think.

22. Dani Kalmar

[​IMG]
    I was offered a used Rega Planar 3 with some upgraded components.
    The counter weight on the back of the tonearm looks different as can be seen in the following link:

Dropbox - IMG_20190213_153312.jpg

Can some explain to me what is the benefit of this alternate counter weight?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Rega arms don't have built in adjustable VTA, so you have to use shims. If you jack up the arm high enough, your dust cover won't close when the TT is not in use. Underslung counterweight solves that problem. Besides that, it is supposed to have some benefits in terms of improving how the arm tracks, but I haven't seen anyone quantify this with a test record or anything like that.

Stanton56 and paulieb00 like this.
  24. Dani Kalmar

So this type of counter weight only helps when the arm base is raised which I don't think us the case with this TT at the moment. Maybe it was installed for future upgrades ?

25. Dani Kalmar

In addition this used TT has the original subplatter replaced with Groovetracer Reference subplatter, upgraded aluminium feet and Swagman Labs external PSU.
    Are these upgrades worth paying a bit extra for this used TT ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.