Upgrade Suggestions - Amplifier or Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gastonman, Oct 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gastonman

gastonman Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I currently have the following setup:

- Amplifier: Yamaha A-S301 Stereo integrated amplifier
    - Speakers: Infinity Primus p363
    - Pre-amplifier: Pro-Ject Box DC
    - TT: Thorens TD-160 w/ Denon DL-110

I like how it sounds, but I would like to go up with the listening experience.

I mostly use it for listening vinyl, also the amplifier is connected to the TV using toslink, so the DAC is not a priority to me right now.

I listen music in general, not a particular genre, also the room where I listen is not that big (25/30 sq meter) I do not need much volume.

If you would have to upgrade this setup to the next level, what would you upgrade first? Consider a budget of 1500 USD. Would you upgrade the amp or the speakers? Which would would you choose?

I like both Yamaha and Infinity sound, and sadly I do not have a chance of demo them before buying.

Any other upgrade suggestion is more than welcome.

Thanks!

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Speakers, IMHO.

SandAndGlass and Guildx500 like this.
  3. gastonman

Thanks for your reply!

Any speaker suggestion around 1000/1500 USD the pair? I was offered the Dynaudio Emit m30, but I do not know if they are going to be much an improvement over the Infinity.

4. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

The TAS review by Robert Greene that can be found online suggests that your speakers should not be viewed as the weak link. Although this is of course a highly subjective matter.

Anyway, my vote goes to amplifier! The 301 is viewed as a competent amp in its price class, but much better integrateds can be found at higher price levels.

Is used an option? If so, your budget can buy you a great amp.

Rick58 and Mike-48 like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

All depends on the kind of sound you're looking for, the kind of music you listen to, dimensions of your room, how loud you listen to music, etc. The more info you can provide, the better. :)

Bill Mac and rednedtugent like this.
  6. gastonman

Thanks for the reply!

Both the speakers Infinity P363 and the amp Yamaha A-S301 are reviewed and seen as really good components for the budget. That Robert Greenes review is great. There is also a pretty good technical review for the Yamaha A-S301 by stereopolice in YouTube, that shows that it is pretty acceptable (and compares it with the Yamaha A-S1100). You hit the nail on the head. My concern is that maybe I would need to allocate more budget to see an real improvement on those components.

Yes of course, used is an option too. Vintage too, although could be much more difficult to find in my place, and also I would need to buy an external DAC for connecting the TV.

7. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I've learnt over the years to go for speakers 1st and build from there if needed, as better speakers often allow the rest of the chain to be at their best ....having said that in fact the thing that has brought most improvements for me is the Room ...1st and most cost effectively is to get the all the playing kit and tv away from the speakers ...kit off to the side wall rather than between the speakers and tv set well back from the speakers ideally perhaps 3 or 4 feet behind them .. if you want to learn from a master of room arranging i can recomment Jim Smith & Get better Sound...

https://www.getbettersound.com

I'm not affiliated in anyway except being a satisfied customer with his book & dvd ...in fact upon reflection i'd suggest investing in those before buying any new kit ...get the best sound out of what you have then see where to go from their and whatever you buy then you'll have a good reference point to start with

8. gastonman

I really appreciate your reply. All good suggestions. Those are the things I wanted to learn from you guys, that are much more experienced than me!

Based on this answer, I think that I will hold on to do the upgrade until I can travel and do a listening demo on the speakers. Will upgrade the speakers first and then go from there.

I wanted to learn more on room arranging so I will research the recommended literature.

Thanks!

9. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

This is an easy one for sure, a new set of Polk LSiM 705 speakers at half price, such a deal and such a speaker!

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-L...&keywords=Polk+LSiM+705&qid=1602825349&sr=8-2

displayname and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

You're most welcome

11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Everyone has their own opinion.

Myself, I am a speaker guy first.

I don't even know how many speakers and amplifiers I have. Amplifiers can and do make a difference, but as specially with solid state, once you reach a level of a decent sounding amp, like your Yamaha, it does take a more expensive amp to improve the sound quality.

As you move up to a more powerful amp, one that can deliver more current, you will notice a change of sound quality, even with relatively inexpensive but well made speakers.

The main difference you will hear is a bigger, more solid sound. This is due to having more current to better provide for the lower frequencies. This is where your amp spends 70% (or more) of its power output. Driving the midrange and tweeter doesn't tax the resources of your amplifier like driving the bass does.

I will 2nd the recommendation of member @Litejazz53 on the Polk LSiM705's. I will tell you why.

Like Litejazz53, I also own the Polk LSiM707's, which were their flagship speakers, before they were discontinued. They are now all gone. They sold off the remaining stock at half price and some deals were even less. The retail price of the 707's was $4k a pair. The 705's, which are slightly smaller were $3k a pair, before discount.

Buy these, while you can still grab them. They are fantastic speakers and I know of no other speaker of this quality that you can buy for $750 each, that can even come close to the quality and build of the 705's.

You will never get another speaker deal like this again, on this planet. Speakers are physical devices, they cost a lot of money to build.

You will have plenty of opportunity to upgrade your amplifier down the road, and then your 705's will sound even better. The 705's are going to put you firmly into mid level audiophile quality speakers. The LSiM product line were Polk's flagship speakers. Now they have even more expensive flagship speakers.

12. Litejazz53

Larry, for the life of me, I can't understand why more people do not jump on the "discontinued 705/707 bandwagon, I believe you are spot on when you said there is NO other speaker available for $750.00 that even approaches the 705, I certainly second that! You know, I owned not one, but two pair of the SDA-SRS 1.2 loudspeakers, one in walnut and one in oak, true refrigerator loudspeakers. I'm not sure Polk's new flagship line (Legend) which replicates those speakers will be a huge hit second time around, at $6,000.00 per pair. I'm just a bit skeptical about the design, as many never gave the original design much serious consideration. There are no other loudspeaker manufacturers attempting this sort of design to enhance or sharpen the stereo image, I'm surprised Polk brought it back for a second round? Have you seen anyone that has purchased the new Polk L-800 model and has commented on the new product?

I will say this once more, if anyone can find the older Flagship LSiM 705 or 707 at these giveaway prices, they will have made a very wise purchase, as these are really nice loudspeakers and at 1/2 price it's a no- brainer. May I add, when I tweaked both my 703 and 707's with the Aperion Super Tweeters, one with the planar magnet design, and the larger 707's with the full ribbon design, it made the already great presentation even more robust, so people, get a pair of the 705's or 707's while the getting is good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and quicksrt like this.
  13. gastonman

I really appreciate your help! I will try to get those 705 they look awesome. I do not know if I will be able to get them here in my country, but will try. Thanks much!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Litejazz53

My pleasure! I did not look at your location, however if any manufacturer could get to Argentina, surely Polk can, however, they probably would not come from Polk at 50% off, but possibly so, just check their website.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Calling the @The Pinhead...

Can the OP get Polk speakers in Argentina?

gastonman likes this.
  16. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

yup

gastonman and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. The Pinhead

Polk Audio Lsim 705 Columnas Hi End Caoba Midnight Factura A - $594.000,00

Margutti Audio in La Plata city carries them. I hadn't noticed this thread or its argentinian originator. Those speakers are over U$ 3500 though. I can relate with him because my experience with Infinity was unimpressive, to say the least ! Take it from a Klipsch freak though:angel:

To the OP : loco, yo que vos me pego altos Klipsch con esa guita !:goodie:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Guess I'm late to the 'party', just saw this and found the Absolute Sound article on the speakers, etc.. Tough question, it seems!

Maybe if a refurbed A-S1100 can be found? seems like (from my limited reading) the 'metered' Yamahas sound better? they should for the much higher price!
    hey! YAMAHA A-S1100 Integrated Amplifier Silver (last one !!!) hmmmm ... PS: SORRY only sold in USA ... but maybe there's some other ones available to Argentina? PPS: maybe the 1100 isn't that much of an upgrade ...? but would expect it to sound better than the 301 ...

19. The Pinhead

Night an day of an upgrade man !

woodpigeon, Rick58 and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. gastonman

Thanks for your reply mate. I did my research too, and asked a couple of speaker importers here in Argentina, but due to the shipping costs and the custom charges I can get the Polk Adio LSim 705 for almost USD 4500 which is a deal breaker to me.

What Klipsch´s do you recommend? I´ve seen the klipsch r26f but they seems not to be much of an upgrade for the Infinity p363.

21. gastonman

Completely agree with this answer. Due to the fact that I like how my Yamaha sounds, I think the next step is the A-S1100.

This is the review we were talking about with the comparison between 301 and 1100. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LgL6TVYheA&ab_channel=stereopolice

woodpigeon, The Pinhead and Rick58 like this.
  22. The Pinhead

Don't just assume they have similar sound signatures; the reviews I've watched in YouTube suggest they don't.

Ah mierda ! Last time I checked they were a little over 3500 in Margutti Audio, in La Plata.

As for Klipsch, if you don't mind buying used, I'd check out these ones, from what I've read the gut is open to selling them for less than what he's asking. OAH, I don't know where you're located in our country; why the limited access profile BTW ?

Klipsch Reference Rf-62 Ii Floorstanding Speaker (par) - $108.000,00

If new is a priority, as it would to me, I'd go for these ones, that will crush your Infinities, guaranteed. Plus the guy there will let you try them extensively :

Klipsch RP-8000F - Avalon Audio Video

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Those are good speakers, but can definitely be improved. So the answer to your original question is LOS PARLANTES (Altavoz?) make far and away the biggest difference. Nobody argues or debates if speakers make a big difference. Amps? Lots of argument. I don't believe they all sound the same* but the differences are nowhere near as big as changing speakers.

Now, what do you have available in Argentina for speakers at your budget? THAT is the question.

*and here is a surprising and equivocal result Denon vs Parts Express, round 1

The Pinhead and Rick58 like this.
  24. Goucheristheman

Goucheristheman Well-Known Member

I will say this I had the RS 700 Yamaha integrated for nine years and thought I was happy once I went to the AOS 1200 1200 with my Moded klipsch I have literally found my sound powerful vibrant live in bouncy

25. gastonman

Great suggestions. I took a look at them and I really like it. I was offered a Canton Chrono 509.2 DC for a good price too.
    I think it is a good opportunity to improve my infinities? What are your thoughts?

I am from Mar del Plata, dunno why my profile is private, will review it later. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.