Upgrade TT Cartridge or Phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ajjj, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Ajjj

Ajjj New Member Thread Starter

I've seen older threads on this question but its always been very specific to the situation as opposed to good old audio theory. But here's my specific situation as well

Current setup
    Rega P10 Apheta 3
    Sutherland 20/20 LPS Phonostage

I have an opportunity to upgrade to either the Aphelion 2 cartridge or to the Sutherland duo or Phonoblock Enhanced (used).

Thoughts?

2. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

You are kind of at the point where the next 10% improvement cost 90% of the money invested. I think if it were me I would look at getting the Duo. The 20/20 is such a good stage you won't take a beating if you sell. This will be out of left field but have you thought of trying the Graham Slee loaner program? For the price of shipping you could try the Accession for a couple of weeks in your system and see how it compares with what you have. worth a shot.

3. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

My recommendation would be none of the options you are considering. Buy a step up transformer and use the MM input on the Sutherland.

Also, I think if you are at this level, avoid buying anything you are not able to test at home before buying.

4. Ajjj

Thx, I'll look into the loaner program but I noticed the Accession is only for MM cartridges? The rega is MC. Did the MM's for awhile but much prefer the MC - blacker than black and more nuanced imo.

5. Ajjj

Your second point has a lot of merit. Hard to do thats why i tend to buy used, so i won't make a costly mistake.

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Autodidact Debater

Buy better records is my suggestion.