“Upgrade” you regret

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VapourTrailUS, May 1, 2021.

1. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Yup....the most annoying and ultimately discouraging aspect of modern vinyl ownership for me, is the ridiculously high percentage of faulty pressings I've purchased and returned, leading me to abandon new vinyl purchases completely.

Apart from that, I've found with several components, that upgrading to the 'SE' version of something (a common upgrade term), or the KT120 version of a tube amp has not been a good idea, and generally I preferred the first generation product.
    So now, if something comes out that is well-regarded and of superb quality, I'll want the very first version before they screw it up with upgrade marketing ploys.

SonicCzar likes this.
  2. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

Long story that will bore you and remind me of one of the many errors of my past.

Cheers,
    Robert

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's something that's, generally, beyond my comprehension. I also offer the opinion that buying things with the idea of upgrading (particularly with the Rega products) is not wise from an economic POV. What I've done for most of my life is buy the best I can afford and call it good.

Clay B likes this.
  4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I was doofus and was being a cheapskate. I wasn't wise enough to "buy the best I can afford." I should have done that in the first place. If I had, I would have saved $500.

csgreene likes this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I been lucky, every upgrade has been good for me.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Getting Audioquest Big Sur interconnects to "upgrade" from my BJC LC-1. The $40 BJC beat the $129 Big Sur by a mile...

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Doesn't surprise me at all.

8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

But if you learned from this, count it a worthwhile lesson. Forgive me but financial advising was the bulk of my career. Even though I'm retired, it's hard for me to not continue to offer advice even when it's absolutely none of my business.

hi_watt, Swann36 and luckybaer like this.
  9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

No worries. I had a very wealthy aunt who imparted this wisdom: "If you're wondering if you can afford it, you probably can't."

That piece of wisdom, plus "buy the best you can afford" are my guiding principles for major purchases.

Audiofan1, csgreene and hi_watt like this.
  10. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person” Thread Starter

One thing I’m also trying to keep in mind as I research phono preamps is resell-ability. Like, as many of us do, if I want to move in from it, it’s probably better to spend more on something that I’d be able to live on as opposed to buy something cheap that I’d be stuck with. Obviously there’s math you can do there around depreciation but part of it is also not being stuck with a piece of equipment that is taking up space too.

11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Well for starters if I change something I don't make the move and call it an upgrade if it wasn't. I also don't regret trying different things if anything to build apon my reference point and learn from it.
    So I don't regret any upgrades, nor do I regret learning.

Audiofan1 likes this.
  12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I have a similar approach to buying lots of things. I know I can outgrow entry level very fast and once you do there really is no where to get rid of it, so it's money lost. One is better off researching why certain things are in demand and desirable. If you bought something like that others will be there when your done with it.

As far as you looking for a phono stage this is what works for me, although I haven't been in that boat for awhile. I personally feel lower cost, sub $500 stages are better in the vintage class than new. I feel the cheaper new units are designed more for people who need an easy way to hook up a turntable. They unlike someone back in 1980 may not even have a clue about Records and Sound Quality. These older phono stages had to compete with pretty dam good built in units that all equipment already came with, it had to be better.

With no real reference point a good approach is to buy used at a fair price regardless the price point or age of the unit. Buying used at a going price the unit can be used and if it doesn't work out can be sold again with minimal to no loss. I also like to have two different units and use them over weeks to really get used to them. Keep the better one and sell off the one you didn't like. Now you can keep trying this with other units till your totally happy or reached good enough.

A reference point one needs to find is "Good Enough" your personal point of I'm happy where I'm at.

13. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person” Thread Starter

Good advice. I'm all but certain to upgrade to something used, but well regarded, at a significant discount to new, at this point. In a way though this purchase isn't an upgrade, it's a new experience. I'm fairly happy with my integrated's built in stage, but want to explore tube world.

4-2-7 likes this.
  14. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

Worst purchase I ever made, the Hornshoppe's The Truth preamp. It was such a frustrating experience to own, that I destroyed it in a fit of rage. I wish I was joking.

timind, Audiofan1, LitHum05 and 2 others like this.
  15. Hershey

Hershey I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane

My first 'real ' system was a Micro Seiki MB10 turntable, Yamaha CA ...something... bottom of the range.. amp and JR149 speakers.
    So I got some money together and fell for the Linn mystic... and bought a Linn Sondek, Basik arm and AR p77 cartdridge...
    Hmmmm... I couldn't tell any difference when I changed over turntables...nothing...So I regretted that move completely having spent to me a small fortune and
    expecting audio heaven. I had to live with this set up for about a year when I saved up some more money and bought a Quad 34 / 405 amp set.

WOW..!!!! Complete change... sounded awesome.. everything I was expecting the first time.

BrettyD, hi_watt and csgreene like this.
  16. phred

phred Forum Resident

In no particular order

B&W 802s

JBL 580s

Klein Dac2

Burson V5 op amps

Gatorised Cayman

SPL V2

hi_watt likes this.
  17. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Back in the early ‘90s, I sprung for some expensive (for me at the time) Bryston SS pre/power separates. Didn’t really improve my sound much at all.

Replaced them with a Musical Fidelity A1 Class A integrated amp. Sounded quite a bit better, for less than half the price. :thumbsup:

18. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

In the early 90s I succumbed to the whole “vinyl is dead and CDs are the future” hype. I sold my battered AR turntable, which was no major loss. But like a total idiot I sold a couple hundred records. A good chunk of this was punk/reggae/new wave stuff purchased in London and some amazing record stores in Rochester NY. I have some surviving albums but I still mourn the loss of all those great records I let go.

I never play CDs anymore but have gotten back into collecting vinyl records…

19. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

Upgraded from a used budget Technics to a Clearaudio Emotion, which was a dud. The cue lever never worked. It was almost 2 grand 18 years ago.

20. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

Side note to the above: after almost three decades without a table I purchased a whole new TT system. It was fun and very nastalgic playing my old albums that had been in storage for so long. I opened that gatefold of my battered copy of Sanata’s Abraxas and some very strange seeds and plant stem residue fell out. Have no idea how they got in there…:righton:

21. Gary the Aggie

Gary the Aggie Forum Resident

I’m glad to read this. I’ve toyed with the idea of trading in my PM8006, but since I can’t think of anything I don’t like about it I keep asking myself “why”? Just curious, I suppose.

hi_watt likes this.
  22. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

Biggest mistake was back around 1980-81 "upgrading" my budget Teac cassette deck to a Harmon Kardon (Metal! Dolby B! Dolby C!) when no matter what type of cassette tape you used, it was a ****ty sounding format. I still see threads of people asking advice for adding cassettes to their systems and scratch my head.

hi_watt likes this.
  23. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

I regret "upgrading" many of my original CDs to remasters. :sigh:

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I had the RP-5 for a while. I have to agree with you. I wish I had went direct to the BHK pre I have by now and skipped over the Rogue.

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

My first upgrade to Radio Shack in the late 60’s. Can’t believe where it’s got me to now. Guess I upgraded to a lifestyle.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022