“Upgrade” you regret

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VapourTrailUS, May 1, 2021.

1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

:biglaugh:

2. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

No real regrets........with gained knowledge I would have skipped more than one purchase and wouldn't have sold more than just one device. But it was kind of necessary to learn and get where I am now.

timind likes this.
  3. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Well hopefully and not yet. I got my 2nd system dialed correctly (the way how I want it). But since my preamp is on its last leg, I'm in a search for a new one. Specifically a tube preamp with tone control. I was looking at the Vincent sa-32 preamp. Anyone tried it?
    I believe this one has a submarine tube which is no big deal to me.

Hybrid Stereo Preamplifier
    The further development of our hybrid preamplifier SA-31. Compared to the predecessor the SA-32 has additionally symmetrical input- and output connections. Also we improved the whole circuit again. Now there are two more 6N16 tubes inside, located directly in front of the output. Because of this, the sound becomes more naturalness and more musicality.
    For a comfort operation we added a high-class remote control in an aluminium case.
    Technical Specifications
    • Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz +/- 0.5 dB, 20 Hz – 50 kHz +/- 2 dB
    • Nominal Output Voltage: 2 Volt
    • Harmonic Distortion: < 0.1 % (1 kHz, 1 Watt)
    • Input Sensitivity: 500 mV
    • Signal-Noise-Ratio: > 90 dB
    • Input Impedance: 47 kOhm
    • Max. Power Consumption: 40 Watt
    • Inputs: 5 x Stereo RCA, 1 x Stereo XLR
    • Outputs: 2 x Stereo RCA Pre Out, 1 x Stereo XLR Pre Out, 1 x Stereo RCA Rec Out, 2 x 3.5 mm Jack (Power Control)
    • Tubes: 4 x 6N16
    • Colour: Black / Silver
    • Weight: 6.2 kg
    • Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 77 x 360 mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  4. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

As far as anything I've kept in my system, not much really. I regret getting the Alva Duo as I upgraded it within a year so that I could have greater MC flexibility, but beyond that nothing really. I did buy and return a Rega P3 last year that I'm very glad I didn't keep. It was more expensive than the 1210GR I got discounted, and the Technics didn't have the noise issues that one did.

timind likes this.
  5. WalterBoyd

WalterBoyd Forum Resident

I upgraded my blown NAD C275BEE stereo power amp with another NAD C275BEE. Guess what happened?
    Now replaced with Parasound A23+, all good.

bever70 likes this.
  6. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

Another NAD C275BEE user here.
    Can I ask what made you buy another (after the first went kaput) and is he A23+ so much better?
    Thanks

7. WalterBoyd

WalterBoyd Forum Resident

Sure. The first one was pre-owned, and then I had it for three years. One of the output capacitors blew and it was going to be inconvenient and expensive to repair.
    I demo'ed two other amps in my home, a comparable Rotel, and a Rogue Sphinx, but liked neither as much as the NAD.
    The second NAD worked for a few years, the warranty expired, then it began to produce loud static and popping noises in one channel. That was it for me with NAD amps, although my M-series NAD DAC is still going strong.
    I bought the Parasound because I have a Parasound headphone amp, and I like it.
    You can say the A23+ is so much better than the NAD amp because it works properly. It's also more powerful, has balanced inputs, variable output gain for each channel, and better damping, and came with a five-year warranty.

teag likes this.
  8. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Trying digital amps. Just didn't do it for me

9. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I upgraded from 8-tracks to vinyl in around 1977. I've been happy with the results so far.

Oddiofyl and LitHum05 like this.