Upgrading from AKG 702

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jacob29, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have had the AKG 702 for about eight years as my main critical listening headphones. There are a couple of things I haven't been happy with so I'm looking to upgrade. I found them bright at times and have a fair amount of listening fatigue. The AKG image well for movies ( I'm going to dedicated them to this) but sometimes music feels like but Imaging is behind me rather front and sides. I also would like a headphone that sound good at low volume. I was looking online at focal elex I was wondering if anybody had opinions or other options I'm also curious if people see this as a significant upgrade the price was relatively comparable to when I originally bought the AKG

My current system Chromecast audio toslink to a schiit modi 3 to a nobsound NS-08E ( probably will get replaced soon I got it to try and take the edge off the AKGs)

My music taste
    Late 60s early 70s singer-songwriter - Jim Croce Jimmy Buffett Gordon Lightfoot.
    Yacht Rock - Michael McDonald, Seals and Croft Etc
    County -- Willie Nelson Conway Twitty George Strait

2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Amazing somebody didn't recommend anything to you!
    Though I personally am probably not qualified to offer much advice due to limited experience. I grew up listening to my dads early 70s white Sansui Headphones, which at the time I thought were good. Up until yesterday I've never had a pair that cost over $100, now I have 2. Yesterday I received a pair of Sennheiser hd6XXX, which i spent about 3 hours listening to, and was very pleased. There is a bit of bass emphasis as commonly stated, but their IMO a very musical sounding set of phones with good detail.

Today I received a pair of AKG K 702's and heard things I had never heard before. The talk of sound stage and detail are real, as I'm sure you know.

I have an also just acquired Schiit Jotunheim with a Modi, and also an Outlaw 2160 with other components listed in my profile page. I'll need to update that info with the new gear. I have a Loki eq on order which will arrive on Monday to complete my headphone system (for now).

For me personally these 2 sets of phones offer a choice in listening, both very different but excellent. I'm not gonna call either better, but each offer a choice for a given mood or a particular recording. I did a lot of reading before buying, but no actual auditioning, and feel I came out with what I was after.

Before 2 days ago all I had were Sennheiser HD 203s closed back studio headphones,
    which I will continue to use for recording to avoid open back bleed through.

3. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

I didn’t like my AKG 702 on most recordings for the same reason: they are often too analytical. Then I found the headphones that I can listen to for many hours without fatigue: Oppo PM-3. Bonus: they are great for office as there is zero sound leakage.

4. Is there an upgrade?
    I love my AKG K-702s, and use them regularly.

ssmith3046, simon-wagstaff and BDC like this.
  5. Rcadog

Rcadog Member

Had one before. My impression was it is hard to drive but with a good powerful head amp its lovely. I would try with a better amp before I changed it. It has an own signature hard to find elsewhere

SeeDeeFirth and BDC like this.
  6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Agree on this. I run an AKG K701 on a Phonitor and a Mytek DAC 192 and it doesn't fit the classic description of "images well with treble harshness and no bass " on either of them. I think most people use AKGs on wimpy amps. Buy a decent headphone amplifier before you get rid of the AKGs - they're very good properly amped.

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree. I used AKG 701's for a long time then tried two different Grado models, costly ones too, but sold them. I'm back to the AKG headphones, the Quincy Jones 701's and I'm happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.