Upgrading from Dynavector p75 mk3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockness87, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I would be curious to know what it was that you liked more about the original version of the P75. After I purchased my P75 (original version) I stopped paying attention to phono stages as I was quite happy with my setup. I never entered into LOMC territory while I was using the P75,. Instead I was using a DV10x5 HOMC cartridge. Previous to the 10x5 I was using a Linn Adikt cartridge and was happy with that combo as well. In either case I would say that the sound bordered on being just a bit on the cold or sterile side of things which I could accept due to the gains I made from the standpoint of dynamics. After my P75 developed a problem that could not be repaired I learned that Dynavector had upgraded the P75 three times over. But instead of buying another P75 I ended up moving on to a Parasound JC3 Jr. which my local dealer sold to me at a considerably discounted price. The Parasound provided enhanced dynamics (especially in the low end) along with a much wider soundstage than my P75. Overall I would describe the sound of the Parasound as more organic while still being more dynamic. Just more lifelike I suppose. I never went on to listen to any of the later versions of the P75 which might have provided similar "benefits". I put that in quotations as we all like different things, so what I see as a plus might possibly be a negative to someone else.

2. I always felt the Mk3 version had a harder edge to it that I didn't like as much. I'm not sure if some of that wasn't down to the power supply. The Mk1 had a large bulky unit while the later version had a small slim line supply pack. Not technical so I don't know if there were actual differences in the power supply chain between the two. Talking to a staff member at Soundline (Christchurch NZ) he commented that I wasn't the first to prefer the earlier model and they had been recommending using a different power supply from I think Well Tempered. Soundline have had a long association with Dynavector so they should be up with the play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.