Upgrading From My Rega P3(2000)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chromewaves

chromewaves Forum Resident

oh the (relatively) new MoFi StudioDeck is also in my options. Besides those three I don't see much around the $2k mark that interests me. For whatever reason I just don't like Pro-Ject stuff.

2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The P6 sells for 1995 in the US packaged with the Exact. You really need at least the Ania with an RP8. I have an Ania on my P6, and yes you need a good phono pre with a MC cart. I am using a Sutherland KCVibe which runs 900 new in the US. With your exchange rates, I think you did quite well.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Someone purchasing an RP8 or a P8 today, would certainly have the option to upgrade their cartridge at a future date and would already have the turntable to do it.

4. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Bruce, I just pulled the trigger on a P6/Exact from Eden too. Seems like a pretty good bang for the buck and an upgrade from my Linn Axis which is acting up lately. I’m currently using a Cambridge phono stage but I think I will upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions for a good compatible phono stage for $500 or less?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Debating upgrading the cart on my table to a Hana M series. I have an RP3, TT-PSU-2, GT Ref subplatter (uninstalled at the moment). Also debating that cart on an RP8. I heard the RP8 with an Apheta 2 today and was not impressed, but it could have been the speakers. No sibilence or IGD but it sounded lifeless.

Going to try to get an RP8 with that Apheta or possibly a Hana SL as a demo for a bit. See how that runs with my system (Simaudio Neo 310 pre and Simaudio i3.3 integrated amp, B&W CM10S2). Really hoping to hear something in a detailed review of the M series....

6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

If you were in France I could sell you my lehmann black cube SE !

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Michell Tecnodec with RB330 arm. Not sure how much this is in Canada? Certainly competitive with a P6 and more flexible for upgrades. £1200 Excl cartridge in UK which is Cdn $2000. Probably will be around Cdn $2500 as an import.

8. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

How about the Rega Fono? I don't have one myself, as I'm using the internal phono stage of my Rega Elicit? Many people seem to like it and you get the Rega synergy. I'd stay away from the Graham Slee 2SE if you live within 100 miles of a radio station. It really picks up signals.

Maltman and Fishoutofwater like this.
  9. Bruce Burgess

That is certainly true. However, in my case, I'll be retiring next year and taking a significant pay cut. If I can't bring myself to spend over $1000 on a cart now, I don't think I'll be willing to do so when I'm retired.

bluesaddict and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

A dust cover protects from more than dust also. Pets, children, spouses dusting in the area, accidents etc. I had a couple of stylus mysteriously damaged on my Project RPM1 Carbon that did not have a dust cover. Those were Ortofon Reds, so not too much to replace but still. I have a Rega RP6 now and although it looks good without the dust cover, I realize the Exact cart that comes with it is $700 to replace. Needless to say, the cover is on all the time.

Maltman and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

I retired last month, which is why I purchased audio equipment years prior to retirement.

I have an RP6 with the Exact, which is what I wanted. But, I have a vintage Dual with the Bronze/Black combo too.

Both represent everything that I want and need in turntables and carts.

If I was going to bother to upgrade from an already upgraded RP3, it would be to a RP8 or P8.

I wouldn't be spending a lot of money to upgrade to a P6.

Nothing wrong with using an Exact 2 on an RP8.

I never see anything wrong for keeping other options open for the future.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

That should be corrected to read I have a vintage Thorens TD-160 Super, with the Bronze/Black combo too.

I do have a couple of Dual 1219's also.

13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this pairing when I was using it.

14. Bruce Burgess

My P6/Exact 2 arrived Wednesday. All I had to do was, unpack it, put the platter on, install the counterweight, connect the NEO and hook it up to my stereo system. The only problem I had was reading the numbers on the counterweight setting. They are very hard to see with my 64 year old eyes. Fortunately, I have the Shure stylus gauge, which I would use anyway to check the stylus pressure.

I tested the P6 with older, but not scratched records, and noticed a massive improvement over my P3 (2000) with GT upgrades. The background was dead silent. Any surface noise on the record was less offensive sounding and less evident. The sound was much cleaner and I heard a lot more detail. Needless to say, I'm very pleased to my purchase.

I'm not sure how it compares with the Technics 1200GR but it would have cost over $1000 more to get the Technics with a cartridge that would do it justice.

15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Congrats!

16. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Bruce, I was in your shoes and contemplating an upgrade last year. The Rega Planar 6 was high on my list, I ended up withe Technics 1200GR with no regrets. It is so easy to set up and maintain. My aging hands and eyes can no longer change and align a cartridge with ease. The Technics has interchangeable headshells which you can upgrade with ease. There are plenty of aftermarket shells to upgrade should you choose. Speed stability is not an issue at all. It maintains the feel of a machines well built. Inspite of the fact it is made by one of the larger electronic manufacturer's in the world, it is handbuilt .

The way it looks like the old 1200 series was a turn off for me originally but the sound and ease of maintenance sold me. This is definitely my last turntable. I am 63 next month.

Best wishes on your purchase.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  17. Bruce Burgess

Thanks. I'm sure I would have been happy with either the P6 or the 1200GR. Cost was the deciding factor for me. For some reason, Technics products are much more expensive in Canada than the USA, even after you account for the dollar difference. Rega's on the other hand are actually a bit cheaper in Canada, plus there a lot of promotions in Canada. From what I've read both are excellent turntables and you can't go wrong with either.

I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I enjoy mine.

Upstateaudio likes this.
  18. Maltman

My P6/Exact arrived today. Easy setup, but I agree, it’s hard to read the numbers on the counterweight setting. Sounds great right out of the box, should be even better with some hours on the cart. I may still upgrade my phono pre to either the Rega or maybe a Lounge, about which I have been hearing good things. The only thing That could be an issue is the plastic dust over hinges, otherwise, all good. And good service and fast shipping from Audio Eden.

19. chromewaves

nice. I may be following close behind you with a P6 from them. I think the Exact on my P3-24 is wearing out - at 6.5 years, it's certainly due to retire - so if there was a time to make a move it's probably now.

20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The plastic/acrylic dust cover on my old RP3 is still going strong over 35 years on - in fact I’m using it on my RP8 as I like the darker colour better than the clear that came with my 8.

21. Maltman

Glad to hear that the hinges are sturdier than they look. The slight smokiness of the cover is a nice touch and goes well with the matte grey finish on the plinth. It’s not the objet d’art that a VPI is, but I went with the Rega over a VPI because it has a dust cover.

22. Maltman

I’m pretty sure they still have a few at the sale price and you could probably pick up and save the shipping. It fits in well with my system which I would consider to be entry to mid level audiophile. I figured anything higher up the scale, like an RP8, or even a P6 with the MC cart would not give me a significantly better return, sound wise, on investment. I think all I will do now is buy some new speaker wire and bi wire my B&W 703s and upgrade my phono pre amp.

Upstateaudio likes this.
  23. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Enjoy Maltman.

24. chromewaves

picked mine up today! Had it set up far quicker than I expected and it sounds fantastic. Can't imagine the Ania sounding better when broken in, but will be happy to experience it. Am also relieved that I can stop doing turntable/cartridge research.

but now my amplifier...

cut-out likes this.
  25. Maltman

Yeah, there’s always something, we’re never quite satisfied. I’ve got about 10 hours on the Exact now, and it’s sounding excellent. In fact it sounded excellent right out of the box. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.