Upsampling CD PLayers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiomixer, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I just ordered a new Panasonic DVD-A player and was reading the features.

It says that it "upsamples" Redbook CD to 88.2khz/24 bits...

Anyone familiar with this process and how it sounds?

2. audiomixer

Anyone?

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

4. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Upsampling and oversampling are both marketing terms for the same thing.

They do not create new information.

If I understand correctily, they just make it easier for the digital filter to do its job by moving noise higher above the range of hearing. This means the filter can use a gentler slope.

Also any upsampler that takes standard cd and conversts it to 96K is probably also creating all sorts of errors that didn't exist before. Whenever upsampler to anything other than an integer of the original sampling rate, you are doing all sorts of mathematical calculations that are NOT necessary (or good).

I suspect the pany dvd probably WILL sound better, since it is doing a simple calculation and the digital filter within probably will benefit.

People (and reviewers) are also fooled by "different is better", so I'd take reviews with a grain of salt.

I'll post some links when I get a chance.

- Gabe

6. audiomixer

Thanks for the info...
    I should be receiving the player today or tomorrow and will report on the sound, etc.

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

There is a good article in the current issue of UHF Magazine about upsampling. It was explained in very simplistic terms, using analogies that allowed me to get the drift.
    UHF is on the web www.uhfmag.com but you won't find the article posted there. Can't scan it, don't have the necessary equipment, but could fax it requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.