Upstairs, Downstairs......

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todd Fredericks, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

Head spinning, head spinning.... I brought the complete set during DDD's 20% off December sale. I've had a pretty nasty cold and have been staying in a lot trying to get better. I've been throwing in one DVD after another of this series. I forgot how addictive this show is.....

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Todd:

Does the DVD set include any of the B&W episodes from the first season, or is it the syndicated "color only" package?

-Kevin

3. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Upstairs, Downstairs proved to be one of the joys of Netflix for me last year. I rented the first disc in October of 2002 and then slowly rented to rest of the discs in 2003 (slowly so that I could savor the series, of course). Seeing that Netflix envelope in the mailbox brings much anticipation, but especially so if I knew it contained one of the Upstairs, Downstairs discs. I finished the entire series back in August and felt sad at the prospect of having no more to watch. I'm toying with the idea of purchsing the set so I can go back to it time and again. Yes, it is addictive.

The first disc does have the B&W episodes.

4. Todd Fredericks

Yes, you get the complete series (B&W et al) plus the 25th anniversary special. The Mega-set is worth every penny. A note about episode quality (which varies). Some episodes are in great shape and some aren't. For me, I don't mind because the show is not about eye-candy, etc.

Todd

5. Todd Fredericks

Damn, I wish I had your self-control. To let you know how little I have, I got the set just before Christmas, I'm now up to Series 5.....

6. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Believe me, this sort of self control is not usually one of my traits. Usually, I am more like you. There is hope for people like us, but I wouldn't recommend it. :)

7. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I've seen this set around and it looks kind of interesting. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what it is or maybe a link?

8. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I've read that A&E used copies (guess you could call them submasters?), and that the DVD version sold in the UK is miles better in terms of quality. :(

9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, of course the UK versions wouldn't suffer from the PAL - NTSC conversion artifacts that we probably have... particularly depending upon the time frame in which the conversions were made.

And there's that minor matter of 625 vs. 525 lines, in general... :)

-Kevin

10. Todd Fredericks

I've seen some of the earlier episodes on British TV a couple of years ago and they seemed pretty much the same quality as what I'm used to (from US TV) and was expecting with the set. I think the series on the most part was just not properly taken care of over the years. Early 70's (and before) British TV was not thought to have much of a shelf life. We're lucky a lot of stuff still survived during the tape recycling days which killed a lot history. Also, A&E seems to have a pretty good track record of attempting to get the best possible elements, etc. for their releases (look at the Avengers, etc.). Anyway, as I said before this show was never about eye candy (hell, look at the show's budget)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.