Upstate NY record store?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by BigManAndy, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member Thread Starter

i know about the 2 over in Rochester, but thats a hour and a half drive. i saw this ad on craigslist today about one in Pulaski, NY, which is easily 1/3 the distance.

The Disc Connection, CL ad here: http://syracuse.craigslist.org/emd/1099461460.html

anyone ever been there? i never knew of its existence. I may have to give my vinyl friend a call and take a trip.

if this place is the real deal, and good. it would be the closest record store!

so just wondering if anyone either lives near there or has been to it and has any insight?

2. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Try the Record Baron on Delaware Avenue in Kenmore, NY, a suburb of Buffalo.
    The prices are a bit high but they have tons of great stuff.

3. BigManAndy

if im near Buffalo, i will try to make that stop a priority, but thats 2-3 hours away. lol

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I work a lot in the Pulaski area and stopped in to Disc Connection a few times. They are a very small store that does special orders. I would call first before making the trek up north. I used to go to the store in Watertown (Stage Door??) but the last time I was there the store was gone. Too bad!!

I do miss Mainly Disc & Knuckleheads in Syracuse, they both used to carry a great selection of import CD's. Is the Sound Garden still downtown across from the Blue Tusk brew pub? I used to go to the Blue Tusk first for liquid courage then go across the street music shopping. :)

5. BigManAndy

not too suprised its small, 15k spread over CD/LP/7 inches. still might make a little trip up there for the hell of it sometime soon. hell if i walk out with 1 or 50 records, its worth it just to check it out.

i barely remember knuckleheads, i was only maybe 11 or 12. that place, from what i remember was very small, its been countless other little shops and stores since then, i don't even know whats in that spot now.

sound garden is still there, but they do mainly used cd's, they got vinyl upstairs, but its sad. just a lot of rap/reggae/dub stuff. its real hit or miss. all new, no used for vinyl.

blue tusk is also still there, i believe they won a award for having the best beer selection or something like that. i used to do the same, have a few at the tusk, walk across the street to sound garden. that was back in my CD days, which are behind me.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Knuckleheads apparently is now Jack Wolak's mail order in Goldmine. Jack was the owner of the store.
    The owner of the store in Pulaski is a major collector of Madonna IIRC, I had some Canadian promo coloured vinyl he was looking to buy and I decided to sell sine the vinyl was given to me and I am not a fan.

7. BigManAndy

holy ****!!!

i went out and googled Jack Wolak

sure enough http://www.jackwolak.com/

north Syracuse mailing address, no store, all mail.

good to see he really never stopped selling!

8. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Ithaca has several decent record stores, but Ithaca isn't exactly a kissing cousin to Syracuse in geographical terms.

9. Barabajagal

Barabajagal Member

M & B Record Exchange just a bit further North on Delaware has a great selection of clean, quality vinyl at a fraction of the price the Record Baron charges.

From my personal experience, Bob at M & B is a much more honest guy to deal with as well.

10. BigManAndy

thanks for the input!!

Ithaca isn't that bad, i head that way for other things every once and a while, next time I'm that way i will have to make a stop, same goes for Buffalo, even though its been a while since i been out there.

11. Traxinet

Traxinet Active Member

Maybe I'll see you there-- I go to school 10 minutes away from there and go into town often. Nice to see a fellow upstate New York audiophile! :wave:

12. BigManAndy

anythings possible!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.