Urban Folk Songs/Artists--1960's on...conversation & appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 25, 2022.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Urban Folk
    (not "world folk" or traditional folk--though the distinction can be hard to define at times)

[​IMG]

Traditional folk developed quickly in the 1950's into the new folk revival which comprised mostly new folk/pop acts like Kingston Trio, Peter Paul & Mary that were still founded on traditional folk while introducing some their own folk songs and becoming folk/pop radio sensations to the dismay of traditionalists, and then developed into what can be loosely be called Urban Folk.

This movement began in the early 1960s's mostly in the Greenwich Village and Cambridge scenes with the likes of Dylan, Fred Neil, Phil Ochs, Joan Baez, where we see a new kind of "folk" as Urban Folk coming into it's own (with protest folk music in the mix). Granted it all quickly faded when Dylan went electric and the British invaded...

But thankfully it still endures, and Urban Folk has since become quite as widespread as ever as a mostly indie movement as urban folk, nu-folk, pop folk and so on...all quite urban in their sophistication...

Alive and strong today.

So...let's discuss and share what you and I see as "URBAN FOLK"..I am sure there will be many takes on this subject, some maybe not so happy with my assessment but in any event...all are welcome.

:tiphat:

[The American folk music revival began during the 1940s and peaked in popularity in the mid-1960s. Its roots went earlier, and performers like Josh White, Burl Ives, Woody Guthrie, Lead Belly, Big Bill Broonzy, Billie Holiday, Richard Dyer-Bennet, Oscar Brand, Jean Ritchie, John Jacob Niles, Susan Reed, Paul Robeson, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey and Cisco Houston had enjoyed a limited general popularity in the 1930s and 1940s. The revival brought forward styles of American folk music that had in earlier times contributed to the development of country and western, blues, jazz, and rock and roll music.] -wiki

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    speedracer likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

Urban Girl by Ellis Paul...as this illustrates, the definition of Urban Folk can
    be as flexible as we like but it's certainly not traditional folk.

New urban folk...

Ellis Paul is an American singer-songwriter and folk musician. Born in Presque Isle, Aroostook County, Maine, Paul is a key figure in what has become known as the Boston school of songwriting, a literate, provocative, and urbanely romantic folk-pop style that helped ignite the folk revival of the 1990s.[3]

3. lemonade kid

Daughter

ep, His Young Heart

Daughter are an indie folk band from England. Fronted by North London native Elena Tonra (born 15 January 1990), they were formed in 2010 after the addition of Swiss-born guitarist Igor Haefeli and drummer Remi Aguilella from France. They have released four EPs, three singles and three albums, and are currently signed to Glassnote (North America) and 4AD (Europe). After playing the local London circuit, they toured supporting Ben Howard around Europe and have since played headlining tours around North America, Europe and Australia.

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It seems that threads on "folk" do not receive much attention from SHF members, though the music itself has widespread attention.

I wonder if a more catchy title might help.

But the term "folk" is so vague, that I wonder what might help.

I'll try to post more in the future.

To me, it should be all-encompassing, from modern singer-songwriters, to traditional purists

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Here is one of the giants.

John Jacob Niles.

Traditional or modernist? He was both.

My mother saw him and met him in the early 1940's in Greenwich Village

She said he was the most intense performer she had ever seen.

John Jacob Niles, Luthier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would say that that is when it picked up some steam. The movement already had a very solid foundation and many followers on New Year's Day 1960

7. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Bob bestrides this world like a colossus. If we are including folks who record with bands including electric instruments, as we should since that's part of urban folks (note the lower case) experience, then I'd say John Prine qualifies. And Fairport and Pentangle and a bunch of others. Not really my home ground, but I look forward to the discussion.

8. lemonade kid

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Stan Rogers box set is apparently being discounted, after a decade of a fairly high list price.

It is widely available from different sources at $47-$50. That is less than half its original price when it was released.

It is a slipcase with 7 discs, each in a standard digipack. There are 5 full CDs, one DVD of the documentary on Stan, and one EP in a mini-LP sleeve.

Look on Amazon and eBay. Importcds is another dealer, but they are selling it for less through the importcds eBay page than from their own website.

This may be a last chance offer. Don't pass it up.

The only remaining official album released by Stan during his lifetime was called "For The Family" but it was for one of Stan's friend's independent label, so it must be purchased separately.
    [​IMG]
    The contents of the slipcase:

[​IMG]

The promotional blurb:

Stan Rogers 'The Collection' Box Set includes 5 original re-mastered Stan Rogers CDs, and, exclusive to this box set, a Special Edition DVD and 5 song EP of live previously unreleased material. Stan Rogers' music has left a lasting impression on countless folk music fans, and for that matter, on the Canadian psyche in general. This handsome boxed set includes the five original Rogers albums which have been re-mastered bringing new life to the original recordings, the DVD 'One Warm Line' which has been newly enhanced and contains additional songs and interviews, and finally as a bonus, the EP 'Discoveries' - rare live recordings of songs from Rogers' repertoire never before recorded.

lemonade kid likes this.