Uriah Heep Album By Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Dec 19, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Salisbury the single version
    I have never been a fan of ripping the guts out of a song to make it a single .... This isn't bad, but it loses the majesty of the full version, even though it is coherent, which in itself surprised me.

turnersmemo, danielbravo and Zeki like this.
  2. mark winstanley

Salisbury - Live
    An ambitious number to try and carry off live, but like everything else, these guys seem a little under-appreciated for their live work also.

3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

A pretty strange admission for somebody who started an album by album thread

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Kingsley Fats

Salisbury

I stated earlier I love that they used only parts of the orchestra (brass & woodwind ?) & did not use the string section. I hate strings.

Deep Purple did a similar track, April, on the Deep Purple (3rd) album. I also like that track.

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Again a terrific write-up. I suppose I say that only when I agree with everything you’ve written :)D), but so far it’s happened a lot.

Yes, I find this to be a very accomplished song. Really absorbing. I love the change when Byron sings: “As time passed and all too fast
    I just knew we couldn't last
    And I guessed that the end
    Was near at hand”

The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ll listen to this when I have the chance. Does it say when it was performed?

7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Salisbury The Song. What an epic. The sound is monumental, the arrangement superb and the production quality is spot on. I love the moments when you hear Mick hitting his pedals, the click forewarning of his solo exploits. Not sure any band would get away with something like this today, but I'm glad they did it back then!!!

8. mark winstanley

Best way to learn about anything is dive in head first lol

9. mark winstanley

I'll check in a little while. Tied up with Temple of the Dog for a little bit.

10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I love this track. Had two cracking wah wah solos. Love it when you hear Mick click on the wah wah.

11. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is really well done.

12. mark winstanley

I can't find when it was performed, but it is from the 2016 2cd release, which I don't have.
    Uriah Heep - Salisbury

Zeki likes this.
  13. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Sleeve notes state :

"The live version of Salisbury was recovered from an old 1/4" desk tape (along with July Morning), and it appears it was recorded in London, quite possibly at The Greyhound in Croydon, on 21st November 1971"

July Morning is mentioned because it turns up on another reissue.

Zeki, danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Cheers mate :righton:

PJayBe likes this.
  15. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It's a very simple song, I like vocal arrangements. Not bad for a b'side but it is not a memorable song either. I like it without a doubt but nothing from another world

The MEZ, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  16. danielbravo

I love this song, especially for the Box / Hensley guitar duo. The vocal arrangement is not wasted either.

The MEZ, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  17. danielbravo

Another controversial song ... for some it is fantastic and for others it is the one that spoils the album.
    I like it although at first it seemed quite boring to me. As time passed I began to appreciate the orchestra arrangements and all the band's work in that performance. It is not one of my favorites within the entire Uriah Heep discography but it really is an impressive song. One has heard other epic rock compositions of those years and this is not for example at the height of "Supper's Ready" or "Karn Evil 9" ... but it has its own

18. danielbravo

Oh yeah ! and both are really good

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks!

PJayBe and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Here Am I
    We start off really mellow. This has a dreamy feel. Gentle textural guitars, melodic bass, gentle rim shot drums, and Byron delivering and super mellow vocal. We get a nicely arranged chorus, even though only one line repeated.
    I am guessing they thought this was too mellow for the album?
    I reckon this is actually really cool, but I would imagine in 1971, it would have just sent the wrong message about where the band were, and were heading.
    Then at 3:45 we get an ascending riff run into some power chords and a complete change of feel.
    This is quite a remarkable song for an outtake or throwaway.
    There is two guitars trading leads for a bit, not sure if it is just Box, or Hensley and Box, and then we move into a Box wah fest.
    At first I didn't recognise the song to be honest, but as soon as the vocal came in, it reminded me.
    At 5:54 we move back into the chorus, and we end with this dreamy mellow thing, as it began.
    I gotta say I like this track.

21. mark winstanley

Lady In Black single edit
    Not much difference, but here is the single edit

turnersmemo and Zeki like this.
  22. mark winstanley

High Priestess single edit
    There is only 3 seconds difference, so I am not sure exactly what the difference is here.

Zeki likes this.
  23. mark winstanley

24. mark winstanley

25. Kingsley Fats

Looks like I'm going to have to pull out my deluxe 2CD version of the album & give it a spin.