Uriah Heep Album By Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Dec 19, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I discovered Uriah Heep with Sweet Freedom after hearing Stealin' on the radio. Gradually worked my way backwards and think Very eavy, very Himble was the last one I bought. On hearing it I wasnt blown away as I had heard the classics first. Always loved Gypsy though. First heared that song as a B side so when I then heared the full version my jaw hit the flaw.

danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  3. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Big fan of the Byron era, though I'm only slightly familiar with the debut album. From Salisbury up to High 'N Mighty, I own and I like some of the Lawton era too, but it's got nothing on the earlier years. I'll be watching the thread and will post responses when appropriate or relative. :righton:

danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

It would seem important to take note of this review... one of the most scathing reviews I have ever read ... and it seems completely over the top, and so incorrect... but it is Rolling Stone magazine lol

Uriah Heep – … Very ‘Eavy … Very ‘Umble (1970)
    [​IMG]

Written by Melissa Mills – 1970
    Rating: Unfavourable

“If this group makes it I’ll have to commit suicide. From the first note you know you don’t want to hear any more. Uriah is watered down, tenth-rate Jethro Tull, only even more boring and inane. UH is composed of five members: vocals, organ, guitar, bass, and drums. They fail to create a distinctive sound tonally; the other factor in their uninteresting style is that everything they play is based on repetitive chord riffs.
    According to the enclosed promo information, Uriah Heep spent the past year in the studio, rehearsing and writing songs. No doubt their lack of performing experience contributed to the quality of the record; if they had played live in clubs they would have been thrown off the stage and we’d have been saved the waste of time, money, and vinyl”

Needless to say I don't subscribe to this particular notion. Also it seems the reviewer was unaware that the band had played plenty of gigs, and had moved into a position of being a well rated live band in England. I guess I like to rub Melissa's nose in this review because in '96 my band received a very similar kind of review from a pumpkin raping, monkey molester in Perth ... we had been playing the tracks that went on our album in the pubs, to good reaction, for six months before we decided on the songs and went to record it ... and we had been playing around town for four years. ..... but that's another story... it probably hints at my disdain for critics in general.

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I never thought the cover was scary at all and, in fact, thought (and still think) it’s a good album cover. I didn’t see the US version until much later...and think that cover is quite dull.

I was 13 or so when it came out and was bowled over by the album. And still think it holds its own. Gypsy pretty much personifies Heep’s sound.

The RS reviewers crack about committing suicide if the band makes it: Hensley and Box both have a great sense of humor. That snarky review has been used by Heep as a marketing tool (very successfully).

I’ve mentioned this before but, despite being a lifelong Heep fan out of the gate (from ‘70), I hadn’t heard Bird of Prey until the Time of Revelation box set. The ‘eavy, ‘umble that I owned was UK version, then my Salisbury was the US version. So I grew up on Lucy Blues and Simon the Bullet Freak.

I’m looking forward to this thread.

old school and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

According to Hensley (in Time of Revelation booklet?), Heep recorded the album in a studio adjoining Deep Purple while Purple was recording In Rock.

Hensley, by the way, didn’t appear out of nowhere. He had been in The Gods (recorded two albums, I think?) and Toe Fat. Mick Taylor (yes, that one) had played with him.

phillyal1 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

I always find it hilarious that of all the bands to compare them to, she picked Tull ... I just don't really hear the comparison at all lol

9. mark winstanley

For those with a bit of time on their hands, this is a three and a half hour documentary. I haven't seen it before, and don't have time at the moment, but I will be giving this a look as soon as I am able.
    It should help put a few faces to the names and stories behind the stories I would imagine.
    I know it goes well past where we are at for the moment, but it could be a good intro for someone new to the band, and perhaps fill in some gaps for others more familiar.
    Hope you enjoy

kanakaris, ILoveMyDogs, ganma and 7 others like this.
  10. old school

old school Senior Member

I bought this album as a import in 1970 and because I liked the cover. Never heard of the band or it's music before I bought it. Just my instincts and the album cover told me get it. Same with Black Sabbath because of the cover and they were British imports. I loved buying imports in the late 60s early 70s and learned a lot by the covers and taking chances. When I heard Gypsy I was hooked on Heep! Most of the album is great but Lucy Blues I can do without. Still play this album at least once a month great debut.

kyouki, danielbravo, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Yes, nearly perfect album, except the very boring "Lucy Blues".

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Oh yeah, you’re right. Absurd comparison.

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It was one of the last albums I heard from Uriah Heep. It's not a brilliant album when compared to what came next, but without a doubt after hearing it you end up getting hooked with those songs. Obviously it becomes clear that Ken Hensley is not in the band (which undoubtedly produced a notable difference in the quality of the compositions)
    Ah! Regarding critics, do they really matter?

14. mark winstanley

short answer . No!
    lol

dcincinci and danielbravo like this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the link. I watched the first 56 minutes (through Sweet Freedom) and recommend to all participants of this thread.

Will watch the rest later.

16. mark winstanley

Thanks for the heads up mate.
    Appreciated.

17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

My first exposure to Uriah Heep was via my aunt's record collection which included The Best Of Uriah Heep on Mercury Records. I really liked what I heard on that one. So, I collected most of the Byron era LPs (U.S. market)--eventually expanding my Heep collection even further when CDs came to prominence.

As to the debut, it's not the band's best release. Still, I find side one (U.S. version) to be strong front to back with side two just sagging a little bit in the middle. However, Dreammare and Wake Up do retain the standard set by the impressive musical offerings on side one. The U.K. version of the album is weakened a bit further by Lucy Blues. The band's performance--particularly David's--on this tune is fine, but the song is a rather lackluster way to end a side. The original Bird Of Prey just flat out rocks, and Byron unleashes some unique vocal fury on that one. It should have been on all versions of the album.

Still, at that time with either version, one did get a significant peek at what was to come via several superior followups. The Hensley juggernaut was about to be unleashed. As to the album covers (U.K. vs. U.S.), though I like both I have to say that the otherworldliness of the space creature fits in better with the type of scifi/fantasy covers Roger Dean created for the band when Heep was at their peak. Said creature cover currently adorns my wall. Love it.

The MEZ, mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My first exposure to the Heep aside from hearing Easy Living was the purchase of the U.S. Best of Uriah Heep lp. I liked it and picked up from there.

The U.S version of the debut album is solid. I remember liking Dreammare and of course Bird Of Prey and Gypsy quite a bit when I first listened to it.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Which songs (album?) are you talking about? The first two Spice songs that were posted?

20. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Has anyone ever imagined William Shatner doing 'Sunrise'? Think about it- it would be perfect! :righton:

mark winstanley and Rufus rag like this.
  21. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I have this on early UK Bronze vinyl, currently my only UH Vinyl. If I stumble upon EU CLACD I will probably get that too. Or some other interesting digital version.
    It's the UH album I have listened to the least but I recently revisited it, and although the material varies a lot, it's a interesting listen.

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

For those considering watching the documentary. It is presented as a walk-through of their discography with a lot of music played and commentary from Gerry Bron, Ken Hensley, Pip Williams (producer) etc. Mostly from five or six guys.

I’m still working my way through it but have learned a few things (along with finally having an appreciation for the John Lawton years. In fact, am listening to Firefly as I type).

I’ll refrain from jumping in with learned stuff (of later period) as this thread is still at the very ‘umble stage.

23. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I really like the riffs in this one.

24. mark winstanley

I'm hoping to get a chance to check that out tomorrow afternoon.
    I reckon there is still a lot of good stuff post Byron, but obviously there were a variety of changes.
    I'm looking forward to moving into those middle and later years for a better look, because like I say I have listened to the albums, but probably only once or twice. I have only had them two or three years.

25. mark winstanley

It's interesting the different experience of the US and UK/rest of the world listeners.
    I find it hard to imagine Salisbury not starting with Bird Of Prey