Uriah Heep Album By Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Dec 19, 2019.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Gypsy
    It would be hard to do a bad version of this really. This pumps and thumps along nicely

ILoveMyDogs and Zeki like this.
  2. mark winstanley

Live At Shepparton 1974

[​IMG][​IMG]

Label:
    Essential (2) ‎– ESMCD 590, Castle Communications (2) ‎– GAS0000590ESM
    Format:
    CD, Album, Unofficial Release
    Genre:

Rock
    Style:
    Hard Rock, Classic Rock

1 Easy Livin' Written-By – Hensley*4:01
    2 So Tired Written-By – Byron*, Thain*, Hensley*, Kerslake*, Box*3:32
    3 I Won't Mind Written-By – Byron*, Thain*, Hensley*, Kerslake*, Box*5:54
    4 Sweet Freedom (Previously Unavailable Version)Written-By – Hensley*6:59
    5 Something Or Nothing Written-By – Thain*, Hensley*, Box*3:21
    6 The Easy Road Written-By – Hensley*2:49
    7 Stealin' Written-By – Hensley*5:26
    8 Love Machine Written-By – Byron*, Hensley*, Box*2:23
    Rock 'n' Roll Medley:7:45
    9a Roll Over Beethoven Written-By – Berry*
    9b Blue Suede Shoes Written-By – Perkins*
    9c Hound Dog Written-By – Leiber / Stoller*
    9d At The Hop Written-By – Singer*, White*, Medora*
    9e Blue Suede Shoes Written-By – Perkins*Out-Takes:5:28
    10a The Easy Road Written-By – Hensley*
    10b Sleazy (Easy Livin')Written-By – Hensley*
    10c Easy Livin' Written-By – Hensley*
    11 Stealin' Written-By – Hensley*6:19

Looking like it was inspired by The Who Live At Leeds, we get a blast from the past her with a Byron set from 1974.
    Prior to the thread I had never heard of this to be honest.

I assume it is an album of these recordings?

3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Live In Europe 1979

I didn't find the 2nd disk as enjoyable as the 1st disk. Again suffers from boxy & harsh sound.
    I could certainly live without the audience participation sections
    It conatined 4 bonus tracks which are all alternatives to previously included tracks which neither add or detract.
    Not an essential album by any means but still worthy of a listen

ILoveMyDogs, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is really good. Lawton’s vocals and then the inter-play between Mick Box and Ken Hensley (the latter on the slide). ( I do wish Lawton would just quit the stage banter. Pretty much hopeless!)

ILoveMyDogs and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

I think that is the hardest thing for a frontman, what to say, when and how much.

6. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

Live At Shepparton 1974

After Live at Europe '79 I am a bit ambivalent wrt Shepparton '74.
    Another live release not endorsed by the band and the artwork is again unimaginative (a mere copy)

More Stealin' (2x) and Easy Livin' (2x) plus the Rock'n Roll Medley again (curious what new facettes it will add compared to the R'nR Medley on Live '73?)

A few tracks I have not heard live before and David Byron on vocals. So let's see.

mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Love the album musically, but hate the Byron lyric "ad lib" in Stealin' where he sings, "Stood on a ridge and *****d a pigeon." Completely unnecessary and ruins the song.

8. mark winstanley

I Won't Mind
    This is one of the Shepparton tracks that isn't included on the video above.
    It is a Heep blues and it is down pretty well really.

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

Something Or Nothing
    It is really nice to hear this track in a live arrangement. Cool song.

Zeki and ILoveMyDogs like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Essentially these seem to be the only things from the Shepparton album that are online, but I think it gives a good indication of what the album has to offer.
    Also being a release without the band's consent, perhaps there is a little kick back against it.

11. ILoveMyDogs

I didn't find anything else either.

The 19:44 min clip posted above was interesting, though.

A bit surprising that the rest of this show is not available on YTube.

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Yea, I thought so.

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

It's curious that a blues artist/producer would say that. I happen to think that authentic blues needs a completely different sort of mixing than rock... and this especially concerns the drums; they should NOT be upfront on a blues recording!

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. Kingsley Fats

I'm not sure that he was talking only about blues. I suspect that it was a general comment regarding how most people listen to (all sorts of) music.
    He certainly didn't mix the drums upfront on the albums he had a hand in producing, he did however liked to focus on the singing.

The over prominence of drums in the mix in modern rock is one of the reasons I tend not to listen to that sort of music.
    It is also something that separates authentic blues from most blues/rock.

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  15. mark winstanley

Acoustically Driven

[​IMG]
    Cover art by Roger Dean
    Video by
    Uriah Heep
    Released
    12 June 2001
    Recorded 9 December 2000
    Venue Mermaid Theatre, London, UK
    Genre Acoustic rock, progressive rock
    Length 75:07
    Label Classic Rock Legends
    Producer Pip Williams

Acoustically Driven is a live video released in VHS and DVD format by British rock band Uriah Heep in 2001. The video was shot live with an orchestra and choir.[1][2] It was published also in a two disc set with a DVD of the live concert.

Additional musicians
    • Ian Andersonflute on "Circus" and "Blind Eye"
    • The Uriah Heep Classic Rock Music Ensemble:
      • Liz Chi Yen Liew – first violin
      • Sarah Chi Liew – second violin
      • Saskia Tomkins – viola
      • Pauline Kirke – cello
    • Steafan Hannigan – uilleann pipes and percussion
    • Melvin Duffy – pedal steel and slide guitar
    • Pip Williams – additional acoustic guitar on "Lady in Black", strings arrangements
    • Kim Chandler – flute on "The Easy Road", "The Golden Palace" and "More Fool You", backing vocals
    • Emma Robbins – backing vocals
    • Billie Godfrey – backing vocals
    1. "Introduction" – 0:47
    2. "Why Did You Go?" – 3:59
    3. "The Easy Road" – 2:41
    4. "Echoes in the Dark" – 4:44
    5. "Come Back to Me" – 4:40
    6. "Cross That Line" – 5:56
    7. "The Golden Palace" – 8:17
    8. "The Shadows and the Wind" – 4:30
    9. "Wonderworld" – 4:33
    10. "Different World" – 5:03
    11. "Circus" – 4.21
    12. "Blind Eye" – 3:37
    13. "Traveller in Time" – 2:50
    14. "More Fool You" – 3:30
    15. "Lady in Black" – 6:15
    16. "Medley: The Wizard / Paradise / Circle of Hands" – 9:24
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This album is from a series of releases that includes Electrically and Totally Driven. I am interested in this series as, aside from some posts during the thread I am not familiar with these.
    So I am looking forward to going through these.

If you know more about these than I, please let us know what we are in for and give us your album run downs please.

Cheers
    Mark

16. JulesRules

I understand this is a sort of "unplugged" endeavour. I've not heard it but I did see the CD of it in a store.

17. Kingsley Fats

Orchestra & choir. No not this injun.

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’m like you, just familiar with what’s been posted throughout the thread. What I’ve heard/seen is very good.

19. mark winstanley

Yea, I thought so.

@Kingsley Fats - what is it about the thought of strings and choirs that messes you up so much?
    Not saying you're wrong to feel that way, it just intrigues me.

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  20. JulesRules

I don't think they're featured on all songs... remember that the "Totally Driven" recordings were made during the preparation for these concerts.

21. ILoveMyDogs

The road to Acoustically Driven and what I understood from Dave Ling's excellent book Wizards and Demons (2002):

By 1999 the contract with Eagle Records was terminated and with no clear way forward The Heep decided to record yet another live album: Future Echoes Of The Past (apparently very well produced by Pip Williams).
    However, the record seemed doomed as there was actually no record contract and thus no release date.
    This was especially sad as the 30th year anniversary moved closer, a US tour was cancelled and no gigs were planned for UK and it kind of looked as the end of the road had finally arrived.

Then three things happened:
    - The webpage Uriah-Heep.com (hard working web team: D. White USA, R. Werneck Brazil, L. Rentrop Holland, P. Janovik England, H. So, Singapore and others) took shape and the Uriah Heep Aprecciation Society helped to keep the groups reputation alive, too.
    - 1st London Heep-Vention took place in 2000 with 300 tickets available and sold in no time. Uriah Heep was not playing but the Hensley-Lawton Band was.
    - Cromwell Productions would fim Uriah Heep live at The Astoria for DVD release (The Legend Continous)

Apparently all of this created enough momentum with the press etc. that Future Echoes Of The Past finally got released on the Classic Rock Legends label resulting in a powerful marketing campaign for record and DVD and Uriah Heep suddenly being on the rise again..

As there was still no follow up to Sonic Origami (1998) hence an acoustic show, long demanded hy Heep fans, was planned to be recorded and released as album and DVD... :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  22. ILoveMyDogs

Quotes on Acoustically Driven:

Mick Box:
    "It was something that we've always had in mind, but we always wanted to do it in a very particular way - it's a typical Heep-thing."

Bernie Shaw:
    "It was a phenomenal success."

Trevor Bolder:
    "It was another highlight, like Moscow. (...) I walked off at the end and I was elated. The whole atmosphere was great, the venue was brilliant, the stage looked amazing, the backing singers where tremendous people - it was so much fun to do."

(from Dave Ling's book, see above)

23. mark winstanley

Cheers mate.
    Excellent posts. Info I did not know

24. ILoveMyDogs

There is not much else I can contribute (I don't own any unplugged or acoustic albums of rock bands, I do not really enjoy those)

The artwork of Acoustically Driven is great and the videos available on YTube indicate that this was a special event indeed.
    Having Ian Anderson perform on some of the songs is another indication that Uriah Heep where back for good!

25. Duol

Duol Hopeless Throwback

I only bought Ling’s book recently...I’m guessing the new edition is just an updated version of the original 2002 release with a far worse title (dear god...Uriah Heep Uncensored On the Record...it’s like they’re talking about the Kardashians or something).

I have to re-read that now I’m more familiar with a wider range of the discography, it was a good read for sure.

ILoveMyDogs, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.