Uriah Heep Album By Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

As Mark has said, back in those days the release of a live album was obligatory and essentially was a greatest hits package. Heep included the medley so that was a bit different.

I liked the live album initially, even the medley. Ten Years After did a bit of a medley thing, too (I think it was TYA!?) and there must have been a “see, these are our roots” type of movement. But the live album was one album I soon lost interest in.

Then, there was a period that I became anti-medley until now. When I like it again.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I was listening to it Saturday.... I forgot it was that Magician's Birthday snippet, that really annoyed me.
    I actually enjoyed the medley well enough, surprisingly doowop oriented, but was pissy that Birthday didn't get a Guernsey

Zeki likes this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I was never a fan of this live album even though I generally like live albums. For some reason this one didn't click.
    My memory of the medly is that it is terrible. A fine example of why heavy rock bands should stay clear of (50's) rock & roll.

I think I'm going to have to dig out my copy & give it a spin.

magister345, mark winstanley and Zeki like this.
  4. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Some of these songs edited for radio or single format sometimes seem an unimportant aggregate, but there is always something interesting...
    This is something we can thank for the digital era (and the cd format). These reissues allow us to access this material. It is something that became "norm" in this type of collections. So enjoy it

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. danielbravo

The whole package for this album is delightful. The inside book with the photographs, the comments printed there, the art and the cover finish. It could be said that the treatment was "fancy" for this album.

6. danielbravo

This album was together with Magician's Birthday and Wonderworld my second wave of approach to Uriah Heep. I love the whole artistic and presentation concept, very carefully designed for that time.
    The album is magnificent, from beginning to end, it is really a sonic experience. Very well recorded and produced. I have a very special appreciation for this album. I like it in its entirety (from the beginning with Sunrise to the end with Love Machine including the encore with the Rock'n'Roll Medley)

One of the things I enjoyed most as a boy was listening to Gary Thain on bass. Of course the rest of the band was on fire, special mention to the vocal work of Hensley and Kerslake in the choirs.

Some highlights here:
    -Sunrise
    -July Morning
    -Tea
    -Gypsy
    -Circle Of Hands
    -Look At Yourself

My favorite version is the original one, With the deluxe edition was added an additional disc with other live songs but seriously I have never paid attention to it.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

When I listened to it (partially) the other day, the stand-out was Thain on bass.

danielbravo and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

10. mark winstanley

11. mark winstanley

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

So nice it was posted twice. I actually posted this one back on page 28. :)

JulesRules and mark winstanley like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Gary Thain - Tokyo 1973

DPM and danielbravo like this.
  14. mark winstanley

Whoops :)

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Read the letter directly under Heepsteria! Hilarious.

16. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

What are the other live songs on the bonus disc?

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They were posted on the previous page but the live tracks are from 1974 and not 1973.

2003 Expanded Deluxe Edition bonus disc
    1. "Something or Nothing" (US radio show) Box, Hensley, Thain 3:11
    2. "I Won't Mind" (US radio show) Box, Byron, Hensley, Kerslake, Thain 5:51
    3. "Look at Yourself" (US radio show) Hensley 6:19
    4. "Gypsy" (US radio show) Box, Byron 4:49
    5. "Easy Livin'" (film mixes used for radio) Hensley 3:20
    6. "So Tired" (film mixes used for radio) Box, Byron, Hensley, Kerslake, Thain 3:55
    7. "I Won't Mind" (film mixes used for radio) Box, Byron, Hensley, Kerslake, Thain 5:51
    8. "Something or Nothing" (film mixes used for radio) Box, Hensley, Thain 3:23
    9. "The Easy Road" (film mixes used for radio) Hensley 3:07
    10. "Stealin'" (film mixes used for radio) Hensley 5:31
    11. "Love Machine" (film mixes used for radio) Hensley, Box, Byron 2:15
    12. "Rock 'n' Roll Medley '74" (film mixes used for radio) Berry / Perkins / Demetrius / Leiber and Stoller / Singer, Medora, White / Williams 7:49
    Total length: 55:21

18. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Thanks for that. I would love to hear those tracks. I just have the single disc of the live album- doesn't even have the R&R medley on it. :(

19. mark winstanley

We'll get them on here. They may be slightly more bunched than the regular album tracks

20. danielbravo

I imagine you have the version made in U.S by Mercury Records. This one in particular has a pretty good sound. It is an excellent copy.
    The UK edition made by Castle Records was remastered by Robert M Corich / Mike Brown and released in 2004. Then Sanctuary Records made several releases (at least 3 or 4) with the same content and the same remaster until 2010. This is currently OOP.

mark winstanley and Rufus rag like this.
  21. danielbravo

The last release of this album was made in 2017 and was manufactured by BMG (EU) on vinyl.
    Contains the original album on 180g heavyweight double [black & white] "splatter" colored vinyl and an re-production of 1973 British tour brochure (some of them signed by band membres, only 50 !)

Uriah Heep - Uriah Heep Live

The MEZ and mark winstanley like this.
  22. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The film mixes are from the live at Shepperton film Studios that was broadcast on British TV . I also had the VHS tape of the gig. I think it was also later released on DVD?

mark winstanley and danielbravo like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, I know. They were also released on this.

[​IMG]

Rufus rag and mark winstanley like this.
  24. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

The live album never clicked with me. I like the studio versions of the songs better than the live versions.
    The R'nR-Medley...maybe it was ok to do this in 1973, but I never liked it (bought the album ca. 1985 as a cheapo repress without the booklet).

When I listened to this live album the other week, I thought the vocals (the backing vocals, that is) sounded a bit too perfect. I could imagine they polished things up in a studio...

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  25. old school

old school Senior Member

The 14 minute Gypsy is worth the price of admission for the live album by itself. Ken's Hammond organ solo is pure bliss. But there are plenty of high points on the live album. It's aged well and is one of the finest live albums of the 70's.