Ursa Major Record Brush vs. Analog Relax Anti-Static Brush

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sdc, Feb 11, 2024.

1. sdc

sdc Member Thread Starter

I'm in the market for an anti-static brush, and these two have great reviews both here and elsewhere. Has anyone tried both? If so, do you have an opinion as to which is better? Thanks.

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I wrote a fairly extensive review of the Analog Relax at TheVinylPress.com, which you should be able to find online. One user found it less effective and I got comments from the manufacturer which I posted as well.
    I haven't tried the other brush you mention.
    I will tell you I have mixed emotions about dry brushing because typically I found that they pushed the dust around but didn't lift it off the record -- instead, you had to push the dust across the grooves, which I didn't think was optimal.
    My best approach is to wet clean, resleeve, work in bare feet (to minimize the charge). I typically use a bulb type air puffer for any lint or liner shed after pulling an otherwise "clean" record out of its sleeve, and for detritus that is harder to remove, used to use a piece of silk, now replaced with the Tiger Anti-Static cloth recommended by Neil (@pacvr). I still have a bunch of older brushes as well- Deema, Hunt, etc. I also try to keep the area around the turntable as dust free as possible, but that's a Sisyphean effort.

macster likes this.
  3. sdc

The review was really helpful. Thanks. It's great that Zoot's president took the time to answer all your questions.

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just saying, there's no such thing as an anti-static brush unless you ground it to a water pipe... and it has carbon bristles that conduct electricity.

5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

@The FRiNgE - hey, how are ya?
    The Analog Relax is not carbon fiber and as far as I know, neither are the Thunderon brushes- both are made from some synthetic fiber that claims to have static reducing properties- in the case of the Analog Relax, the fiber is hollow and the static reducing materials are "inside" the fiber; in the case of the Thunderon, the static reducing properties coat the outside of the fibers.
    I have one of those large antistatic brushes with a ground cable, which was sold in the US under the Acous-tech brand and I grounded it with its supplied cable. It didn't do much; for a while I used it to clean the platter mat of my table, which is some sort of fiber impregnated onto the platter itself.
    I do have a stand-alone grounding bar- a large, copper industrial buss bar that runs to the main system ground here via 4 gauge, but never tried the grounded brush on that. Maybe I should. The main system ground is a Ufer--a bunch of steel rebar that is embedded into a concrete foundation that was poured in 2004-- when this 1880's house was restored. The stand-alone ground does tie into the main household ground, per code, but was part of an electrical system revamp I did circa 2017 when I moved in and set up an electrical subsystem for the main system, consisting of a 60 amp sub panel, feeding a 10kVa iso transformer, running via 4 gauge to the adjacent system panel, which feeds 10 gauge 20 amp lines. If I can dig out the ground cable for that brush, I'm more than happy to attach it to my copper buss bar and see if it helps.
    All FWIW, etc.
    best,
    bill

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Good to see you, Bill, wishing you quality listening, good health and prosperity. I have enjoyed reading your many posts, and have learned a lot from you.

I have just about completed a project in digitizing and mastering all of my music projects. These range from 1969, when I was still in high school to 1998... and friends who sent me their stuff more recently. It's been fun, and a labor of love. But who knows, maybe the unreleased Beatles/Cream influenced originals that we taped way back, will be well received? Not expecting much, but you never know...

Bill Hart likes this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I own the Analog Relax. It is great.
    I also own Hunt, Audioquest, Furutech, and the Hart audio.
    The Analog Relax is more effective and easier to use than the rest although they all work fine.

sdc likes this.
  8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm gonna follow up w/ a DM to discuss. That Cream performance at the Detroit Grande was considered a high water mark (Oct. '67) but as far as I know, has never been legitimized.
    BTW, thanks for the kind words. Ideally we all learn from each other.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  9. sdc

Maybe it's from hearing it so often, but I'm really fond of the 1968 San Diego and Oakland shows which were used for Live Cream, Vol. 2--except maybe that long version of 'Steppin' Out,' which to me only really shines in the first and last 3-5 minutes.