USB iPhone dac question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Sheagren, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy. Thread Starter

I’m getting a Little 24 bit 192khz usb dac for my iPhone and gonna use my qobuz hi-res app but am curious of one thing.if my headphones only do 20-20 kHz will I hear a big difference in detail?
    I’m thinking I will cause of the more samples I get of what I can hear.
    I have the iPhone xs

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Only one way to find out and that’s to listen for yourself. Differences between masterings are far more likely to be audible. Opinions on here regarding higher resolution digital vs. lower resolutions vary wildly from differences being inaudible to the differences being startling. You’ll have to make up your own mind!

SamS and Scott Sheagren like this.
  3. Scott Sheagren

4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The word length and sample rate of a file (e.g., 24/192) and a DAC that can handle such files have nothing whatsoever to do with the specified frequency range of your headphones. The two things are completely unrelated.

Even bog-plain pair of headphones will play anything because the headphone amp/DAC they’re connected to provides an analog signal not a digital data stream.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  5. Scott Sheagren

At the moment I only have the apple ear buds with the jack but for what they are I love the balanced sound I get.i can’t get a good headphone set yet cause I jog and they take a lot of abuse.

6. Scott Sheagren

And I can’t waited to compare music.the stuff I live for

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

If you run, you need two sets of headphones. Don't even waste money buying expensive headphones that will suffer a short lifespan due to sweat.

Scott Sheagren and stanley00 like this.
  8. Scott Sheagren

Oh no doubt.id save up money and buy a 1000 set of headphones for the house.but when I jog it would be nice to hear hires sound with a good set of ear buds.

9. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I’m a pretty avid runner and I can’t for the life of me discern the difference between different sample dates or word lengths when I’m out jogging. Just get yourself an inexpensive set of headphones and a cheap digital audio player and you will be golden.

I use the Thinksound ms02 earphones and a Shanling M0 DAP and it’s fine. I used to go through earphones every six months before I got the Thinksound; these have lasted me for almost two years now, a new personal record.

10. Scott Sheagren

At the moment before all my stuff comes in I’m happy to know my cds actually have great sound.i can’t even say yet if hi-res music makes a difference yet.but can’t can’t to compare

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The advantages for high-res aren't in being able to reproduce frequencies that only bats can hear. The advantages can be heard and appreciated down in the human range of hearing. Advantages heard in midrange and even bass. But these advantages, if you even hear them, are subtle.

The kinds of differences I hear with high-res are things that I associate more with high-res having cleaner phase and cleaner transients due to high-res digital filters not messing with the 20-20k frequency range the way CD-resolution digital filters do. One way to kinda try to explain some of that is to imagine listening to speakers in a dedicated audiophile room that is closed and sealed so the speakers can pressurize the room. Then cut a big hole in the rear wall so the room can no longer pressurize. High-res is somewhat like listening to the sealed room. CD-res is somewhat like listening to the open room. None of that effect has to do with the frequency range the speakers can do or even if the speakers can claim 20kHz or beyond performance by the tweeters. This effect is also very difficult to get on headphones, especially open headphones. I have some headphone gear that lets me hear that effect and I have some that doesn't. With some of my headphone gear I can hear benefits with high-res. With some of my headphone gear I don't hear any benefit or difference listening to high-res. So it depends. It is an effect that you certainly won't notice using portable mobile active use friendly headphones/earphones while jogging.

12. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

...or in the car, or at the gym, or through any Apple earbuds or iPhone, or through any cheap DAC, etc.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  13. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Naahhh, you need headphones doing the full 1Hz-180kHz :)

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My high-res capable headphones can do 0 Hz.

Scott Sheagren and Jimi Floyd like this.
  15. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

How can I survive without that missing Hz, now?! :)

16. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Just get a pair of Airpods, they’re hi-res. Right?;)

17. king of fuh

king of fuh Active Member

Whaat kind of DAC did you purchase? I have an IPhone XR and looking for a DAC and opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.