Used CD stores in Memphis

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by vinylrec, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll be in Memphis Tennessee next week. Anybody know any good used CD stores there?

2. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Grant!

DO a search for FYE. They own a chain of stores throughout the US.
    Some of their stores are call "Coconuts". The FYE website has a locator.
    All the Coconut stores carry a huge selection of used as well as new CD's.
    I believe that some of the FYE stores also have a used CD department.

http://www.fye.com/storelocator/storeLocFrame.jhtml

Good Luck!

Enjoy your trip. Are you stopping along the way at Graceland?

3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

He vinylrec, I was wondering if you know a friend of mine who lives in the same town you do - I mean, c'mon, it's small town after all.

Last name is Daugherty. He's in the radio business.

I used to live in Memphis (years ago), and do not remember ANY used record stores at all.

Try the yellow pages. There might be a CD warehouse there, or perhaps a Wherehouse Music, both sell used CDs. (Got 24 Karat Hits at Wherehouse for $14.99.)

4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I think Shangri-La Records is the best shop in Memphis. Very nice, knowledgeable (gasp!) staff and a great selection of soul, R&B and roots music, along with all the usual used stuff. They also sell bricks from the original Stax studio, complete with a photo and a nice certificate.

In fact, they also publish a great guide to Memphis for music fans. They have it at the store, but I think you can get it by mail as well. It's called the "Lowlife Guide To Memphis" or something similar. When I visited two years ago I used it to find some cool historic sites, like the location of the original American studios and Elvis' childhood home in the projects.

I found a link to the store, too:

http://www.shangri.com/

Enjoy the trip,

Chris

P.S. If time permits you should try to visit the Civil Rights museum, which is housed in the Lorraine Motel where MLK was assassinated. It's an absolutely fascinating and sobering place.

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I suggest a visit to the original Sun Records studio. A great pilgrimage for any music lover! Then head downtown for some great BealeStreet blues!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.