Used Discogs listing for more than item new on Amazon

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MilesTrane, Dec 11, 2023.

1. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why are more than 90% of the used discogs items in my want list priced higher than they are available brand new from Amazon? They just clutter up my want lists with overpriced stuff!

2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

The other thing that amazes me is eBay! Watch some of the offers/bids -- people will pay a ton more $$, whereas if they just did their homework and a bit of searching they could find the album a *lot* cheaper and in like new condition (or even still sealed) on Discogs. But I guess these idiots have a) too much liquidity, and b) love to get into the bidding war.

MilesTrane likes this.
  3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I find a LOT of discogs listings aren't really serious. The person lists the item at a sucker's price, and if someone actually pays it, the'll sell it, otherwise they're fine to just keep it. Discogs sellers also don't usually lower prices as desirable and in demand titles go out of popularity or become easier to find. You end up with inflated hype prices set 6 months ago at release, when you can regularly find the same thing direct from the label for cheaper during sales. It makes it a bit difficult when selling records to find a fair market value. You would think just listing at bellow the cheapest discogs listing would be sufficient, but sometimes it's not because the cheapest copy on discogs is going to sit there for months before selling at asking price, or not selling at all.

If you really want to see some crazy buying behavior, check out the In Groove's whatnot auctions. Sometimes people pay double or even tripple for a used LP than they could get it for on sale from the label. It's nuts. Some people just have more money than sense...

Strat-Mangler, MilesTrane and eddiel like this.
  4. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The want list emails are absolutely useless at this point, because sellers will mass-relist every day. For a while I would check my want list emails nightly, but then after a while, it was only "Sedona_Antiques" listings (at high prices mind you) so I stopped using the feature. A shame you can't block sellers from appearing in results, as I would block a good few...

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Happens all the time,and not only discogs/ebay

There's a Dire Straits boxset in the classifieds that was originaly" offered" for $100; that's an offer you can refuse since can be bought new for $60 :biglaugh:

Live 1978-1992 (8CD)

MilesTrane likes this.
  6. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident Thread Starter

I guess a used item “priced to sell” is a rare thing indeed. It is beautiful when it happens, but it doesn’t happen much.

Phillipe likes this.
  7. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I hate this. I feel like my daily wantlist email is just the same items every day. I guess this annoying little hack must work for some sellers, otherwise they wouldn't do it, but yeah, like you, I wish I could just block these sellers.

Have you heard of the Wantlister app? It may help you out. It narrows the search to some degree, but there are still a few bugs with it (it's very new) so I don't tend to check those emails, either.

As for the OP re: Amazon pricing, that's just classic loss leader stuff. Too big to fail. They've always undercut record stores, so it makes sense they'd do the same to independent sellers. They sell things for less than what stores pay wholesale.

astro70 likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The email is largely useless. The advice is to check under Marketplace-Items I Want. But guess what, they appear on there too! So it's more scrolling lol I rarely get past a page or two before not bothering. At this point it's easier to live without the records. lol

As for the bulk loading by sellers, this has come up in the official forums many times. Part of the problem is the way Discogs works for large sellers. Delisting, making changes to their inventory and then bulk relisting is the only efficient way they can make changes. Of course some just do it in the hopes that people will notice their listings vs other sellers.

9. PGdrumming

PGdrumming Member

i wonder too - two things that come to mind:
    - some people prefer buying second hand (i am one of them, though for vinyl i am not sure where i stand)
    - if it's used and listed as NM, i expect it to be no pops/noise etc.. with Amazon (and any reseller selling new) it's the lottery, and reporting + sending back can be a problem
    - lastly (well that's 3), sometimes buying an extra item makes you go over the "free shipping" threshold, when i started selling on Discogs i definitely got a lot of people using this to "save" 17 euros on shipping.

in Germany, Amazon isn't the cheapest for most part the big music stores seem to align on prices eventually.

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Seems like you probably only want modern pressings. Good chance it's stores selling at retail when they receive stock. Amazon can make a $1 profit all day long and sell a mass number of copies while a store is just hoping to make a tiny bit off it sometime in the next year. Some of these stores are well known and probably have their own little Discogs clients that buy regularly. Lots of people say they want to support indie sellers... but their support comes with a bit of b!tching about the prices.

GentleSenator and LivingForever like this.
  11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I do hope this is something they are working on updating for easier user tools. Periodically I have to narrow down my list to essentials because I'm sick of seeing the same sellers every single day. At work, I'll do it here and there. But that's usually just to bring down prices or update listings. This is only once every two or three months on average. Plus most of our online stock are more niche items. Some folks may have missed seeing it available the first time around. While I think it's a useful tool for sellers to periodically use, it is certainly being abused. Having a 'within this country only' and 'block' option would be extremely handy. Plus it'd be another way of obsessing on the site. It would be a win for Discogs as well.

astro70 likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Prices fluctuate. Unless you're doing this at a pro level with software that auto-updates your listings to reflect competition, you list and forget. The price when you listed might have been reasonable, then prices dropped, or there was a closeout and you're not competitive. But those alternative supplies sometimes evaporate over time and your price looks good again.

I wouldn't lose sleep over any of it.

MilesTrane and joachim.ritter like this.