Used Preamp Recommendations Under $1500US

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MCM_Fan, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for a used preamp to pair with a Bryston 4B SST. There are some good recommendations in this older thread, but prices and availability change over time. So, I'm looking for recommendations on what's currently available used for less than $1500. I'd prefer something in the $1000 - $1200 range, but can go a little higher for the right piece.

So far, I am considering the Audio Research SP9 and SP14, as ARC preamps are said to match well with Bryston power amps. Both of those have built in phono stages, which I don't really need. It will be used in a system with a turntable as the main source, but I already have an external phono stage I like. A built in phono stage isn't a deal breaker, as long as there are at least three line level inputs.

There is a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 near me, but I don't know much about this brand/model and Sonic Frontiers is no longer around to support and service their products.

Comments regarding the Audio Research SP9 and SP14 are encouraged, as well as other ARC models and other brands in this price range.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

MCM_Fan likes this.
  3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

4. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Parts-Connexion up in Canada are the Sonic Frontiers people.
    I have an SFL-2 which is never going anywhere.

Agitater and MCM_Fan like this.
  5. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

I have a Bryston 2B-LP and I can honestly say that my NAD 106 pre is a dream match - and easy on the wallet. It's the balanced XLR outs that do it for me. It drops the noise floor to zero - utter blackness. Plus a mono switch, MC stage if you need it, and full tape loop/monitor if you want to hook up an equalizer.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Like you I've a Bryston 4B SST and I've combined it with a Audio Research LS17- excellent synergy between them and IMHO they match eachother in a perfect way. You get that tube magic and combining it with a SS amp that has a lot of power under the hood is a perfect match. A great sounding unit that I'm extremely happy with. Highly recommended.

DeFriend, MCM_Fan and Rick58 like this.
  7. MCM_Fan

Thank you for the reply. I have read great things about the LS17, specifically, and the good match between Bryston amps and Audio Research preamps, in general. It seems like an excellent pairing. The only challenge would seem to be finding an LS17 within my budget range.

DeFriend and GyroSE like this.
  8. MCM_Fan

Thanks for sharing this info. The Bryston is the first amp I've owned with balanced inputs. I hadn't really considered the advantages. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. MCM_Fan

Thanks for that bit of info. I have bought caps and resistors for rebuilding speaker crossover networks from Parts Connexion many times, but wasn't aware of the Sonic Frontiers connection (connexion?).

As mentioned, there is an SFL-1 for sale near me. Do you know what the sonic differences between it and your SPL-2 would be? If I can get t cheap enough, it may be worth it to send it off to Parts Connexion for an upgrade.

Edit: I just looked up the SFL-2 and see there are substantial differences: dual chassis design with separate power supply, balanced input and outputs, and probably more.

10. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

I have no experience with the SFL-1 so can't help you there.
    A fellow over on AudioCircle just got one, retubed it and seems pretty happy with it.
    I believe they started off with kits, they then started selling them assembled and it went from there.
    Chris at Parts Connexion was the head of Sonic Frontiers, nice guy, good product.

My SFL-2 is 5th row center at a concert presentation for what it's worth.
    I may sell an AVA tube preamp, I don't know yet.
    My house is starting to resemble a stereo store but I also hate to get rid of things that I will miss.
    One of those.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  11. brian rx

brian rx Forum Resident

I have a 14 b sst that I purchased used (only way I could ever afford one!). It powers Magnepan 1.7is. I just got a Parasound Halo P6 and it sounds so good! Literally just hooked it up about 6 songs ago.

SteveFord and MCM_Fan like this.
  12. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Parasound P6 is good. Schiit Freya+ is good.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  13. james

james Summon The Queen

I’ve had a Freya+ and liked it. The P6 checks a lot of boxes for me. If it were as good as the Freya+, I’d consider it. Any thoughts?

thomaskong and MCM_Fan like this.
  14. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I had a SP9 for many years, then went to a LS15. You can't go wrong with this brand if only for the fact that you'll always be able to sell it for what you paid. The only thing about the LS15 (and LS17) is that I don't like the volume control. It's not a knob you turn up and down, but if you use the remote all the time it doesn't really matter.

The biggest point I want to make is that if you can stretch the budget, I would get a used ModWright LS100. It kills the Audio Research, it's all tube, and it's very friendly for rolling tubes. The latter is a big deal.

DeFriend and MCM_Fan like this.
  15. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Snap up that SFL-1 if you can get a good deal. I just picked up a super clean one for $500..... great sounding preamp

Tubes are cheap, new production 12AT7 sound very good and NOS are cheap, $40 to $60 for high quality nos. I had the SLF-1 in my system while waiting for a tube for my c-j preamp. You can buy a conrad johnson for $1500 or less if lucky and patient .... Quicksilver makes excellent stuff, two preamps made in USA one remote, one non remote. $1500 or less new....

I'm going to send it to Chris at Parts Connexion to have a few updates . Its going in a second system once I get replace my existing amps. When the SFL 1 was new, it was the equivalent of spending $3k.... solid build. Excellent sound

KT88, SteveFord and MCM_Fan like this.
  16. tIANcI

P6 and Freya+ are very different … esp when on tube mode. I like the Freya+ too but the mids just lack a bit of density. If it had it, it’s a real gem to own.

I find the P6 to be a good pre, for its price. Not too bright, not analytical … a smidge of warmth. The DAC acceptable. Then you got outputs for subs.

Not heard the Benchmark LA4 yet but owner feedback is very promising. That’s been on my mind.

james likes this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

all the P6 reviews I’ve read have been fairly lukewarm

18. tIANcI

It’s built for 2 channel and potentially a simple HT. At that price point, there is some compromise. That’s the reality.

james likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

Wyred 4 Sound MPre looks nice for the money.

MCM_Fan and tIANcI like this.
  20. MCM_Fan

Would a Croft Micro 25 be a good match for the Bryston 4B SST? One just showed up locally at a decent price.

21. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Buy some Schiit like a Freya and you’ll get good sound for an honest price.
    Seems to fit the taste of most people, so it’s a safe choice.
    FWIW, I like my SPL Phonitor 2 a lot, great device if you’re also into headphones.
    It’s a headphone amp and preamp in one, both good quality, plenty of settings for speaker emulation when using headphones.
    The SPL Elector is nice too, same neutral and agile sound signature, but without the headphone part.

Dignan2000 and MCM_Fan like this.
  22. MCM_Fan

My concern is matching of the Croft gain/output impedance to the Bryston sensitivity/input impedance. The Micro 25 has a reputation as a great sounding preamp, but it also has a reputation for having a high output impedance and a very high gain. I haven't been able to find the exact specs on the Micro 25, but I have found several threads on ways to lower the gain. From the little I've read, it seems like, in its standard unmodified form, it may be a poor match for the Bryston.

Oelewapper likes this.
  23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I used an ARC SP14 with a Bryston 3B for a few years. It's a nice preamp. These are getting some age on them now though. So you need to have anything over 10 years old serviced IME. The SP14 is also a SS pre. Just one tube in the phono section. Both Bryston and ARC have very nice phono sections, so an outboard may be wasted. Also look at newer Rogue Audio preamps. They are voiced similarly to ARC and offer better value. They also have very nice built in phono stages.

The SF stuff was well made and sounded nice too. If it is affordable, you can get it serviced before use. Any of those will make nice partners for the 4B.
    -Bill

MCM_Fan likes this.
  24. padreken

padreken Senior Member

There’s a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/preamplifier up for sale at tmraudio.com for $1049-balanced connections and a very nice DAC, too. I have one in my system.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  25. MCM_Fan

I decided to pass on the Croft Micro 25. It was local, the price was extremely attractive and the Croft products are very highly regarded in this forum. I just doesn't seem like a good match for the Bryston. I called the seller back and told them I was passing. They also have the matching Acoustic Series 7 amplifier. So better to let someone get the matched set than try to force it to work with my Bryston.

The search continues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.