Used Record Stores (the good, bad, and ugly)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by fxsuperglide, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, I agree it isn't all that big a deal when it's a common album, but these were stuck to some real collectible, rare LP's, with prices to match. That, and I'm pretty inept with "Goo Gone".

Personally, it just makes a big mess. :shrug:

Actually, what's worse is when some dealers put blank price stickers on their LP's. and THEN hand write the price on the sticker with a ball-point pen, forever engraving the price on the cover underneath the sticker. :wtf:

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Pour some Goo Gone on a paper towel and then wipe it over the sticker. That way you won't flood the album cover.

I hear ya. I hate when they do that. :cussing:

3. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Heh - I was thinking of starting a similar thread - we really should make a database of our favorite record stores.

my local favorites:

Vertigo Music in Grand Rapids, MI - owner is a nice chap who was originally one of the co-owners of my once favorite buy now departed Vinyl Solution. Vertigo is located on Division Ave, famous for drug dealers and prostitutes - but the block that Vertigo is on is relatively safe. A nearby coffee house provides all-age punk rock shows. Vertigo is in an older building with creaky floors, high painted tin ceilings and a large selection of music. Selection is geared towards newer indie - but there is a fine representation of older music and 'dinosaur rock'. Used vinyl selection has usually been picked through but I still manage to find a gem every once in awhile. Used CD is alphabetized only by letter, not by artist. This makes it more difficult to find particular items. But nonetheless I rarely go there without buying something.
    http://www.vertigomusiconline.com/

Corner Record Shop in Grandville, MI - owners are friendly and there is a massive collection of vinyl here. Most of their large floorspace is dedicated to records though I've been surprised on what I've found in their CD bins. They also have a used stereo equipment room where I've bought a few pieces - prices here are very fair. Most of their selection is geared towards mainstream/dinosaur rock. The CRS carries new vinyl, used audiophile releases and plenty of old records. Again, most of the selection has been thoroughly picked through but I've found some rare stuff by taking my time and checking out the latest arrival bins. They've also give me 'first crack' at some just arrived goods. Highly recommended.
    http://www.cornerrecordshop.com/

Flat, Black and Circular in Lansing, MI - an old college record store geared towards indie and new releases. Plenty of older stuff too. CD selection is very good and I can usually find something to buy. Record collection is big, though it seems very crammed together almost as an afterthought. Honestly I have a hard time mustering the energy to dig through the vinyl - for example the R&B section shares the same space as their Rap/Hip-Hop 12"ers and its hard going. Prices on used CDs are very good - new releases can be a tad high.
    http://www.flatblackandcircular.com/

Encore Recordings in Ann Arbor, MI - this is an old school type of record store you would expect to find in such a big college town. Records and CDs are piled everywhere and the floorspace is squeezed tight by the sheer amount of vinyl. Half the time you are saying 'excuse me' to dodge past some other yob looking for their music fix. An extensive collection of every genre, you may be disappointed on the actual slim pickings. Like every popular record store 'destination', the selection has usually been picked through by the local regulars. But still I've been able to find some obscure stuff and I always enjoy the hunt there. Encore keeps the actual CDs behind the counter and you bring up the cases. I've had several occasions where they couldn't actually locate the CD - a little disappointing but I still visit the store when I'm on that side of the state.
    http://www.encorerecordings.com/

4. serge

serge Forum Resident

lately the mold spores and other crap in many of the bins is starting to affect me and freak me out. not sure why but it seems i've become more sensitive and i get frustrated flipping garbage records and my eyes start to burn..

i may be cutting back on my crate digging.. the payoff has also gone down.. around dc it seems pretty much all the stores have jacked up prices..finds are becoming much harder for me....i was averaging about 50 records a week but am down to 5.... lately i'm getting more into buying my holy grail records on ebay....there's still one store in dc where i find good stuff at a reasonable price but when i compare it to a few years ago its sad..

5. agentk7

agentk7 Forum Resident

I just want to mention I stopped by Iko's Music Trade today (for the first time in like 10 years). They're in the same shopping center (2300 East Market St, York, PA) but have moved down a couple doors to a more streamlined location. They've done away with carrying guitars/instruments but as before they have a very well organized CD and vinyl section. The owner is as nice as smarone313 indicated.

6. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Maybe you should not post **** on the internet unless you know what the **** you are talking about...

the Professor retired from Phoenix Records in 1999 but you posted of an experience in 2008 like it was somehow current and relevant ???

:rolleyes:

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Time flies when you're having fun. Seemed like yesterday ....

8. Well, he DID put this caveat on the bottom:

So perhaps he was wanting stories of experiences collected over time,
    and that the events described did not have to be "current"

krlpuretone: did you know "the professor"? Were you friends with him?
    I'm just confused that you would react so strongly to the retelling of an old story.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Must have been.

10. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I always enjoyed Phoenix in Waterbury, CT but also sometimes wished it were a bit easier to browse the CDs. They were put out with the spines up so one could read them but they were under a plastic cover, part of which itself was sometimes covered with stacks of posters or boxes. Some artists were in their own separate boxes under the shelves - a clerk would get them out upon request. I imagine it's still the same set up. Lots to see in that store. Once in '98 or so, I called from out of state to mail order an LP that arrived in great shape. I haven't been there in a long time since I moved away from the area. Found some great Elvis Costello UK vinyl there and Richard Thompson's 2LP set Action Packed, plus various CDs. I wish I could go there this weekend.

11. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Chip, I bought the store in 1999 and ran it until we closed it last year when the continuing decline of the city it was situated in made it an untenable situation.

So you can imagine the shock and anger it would generate to see something like this about your store here, of all places!

It got pretty hard to sell gift certificates to kids' moms when you have a check cashing store on one side and a shady Albanian social club on the other.

But to the end (and I guess beyond) it was always the same story talking to someone that had last visited the store in 1990 and yet somehow managed to pass along some sort of "insider" information...much of which was just retooled gossip that originated from my main competitor (who actually used to write little anecdotes like this on LP covers in the bins).

I don't think it's possible to really compare the pre-internet days of record stores with anything current; like comparing the HR numbers in the pre-steroid era of baseball to the late 90's.

Back in "those days" you were pretty much tied to either buying from your local store, Goldmine or record shows, all of which had pricing structures that were intertwined (because it was passing in the same circles) and often less dependent on condition than perceived rarity.

12. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I was up in Kansas City the other day and checked out Streetside Records with a friend who loved the place back in the day.

While the place reeked of FYE flavor (they're owned by the same company), I was pleasantly surprised. They had (mostly) good prices on used CDs (ranging from 4 to 8 dollars) and a pretty decent selection.

We did not get a chance to check out Half Price Books. I have also heard of Love Garden and want to take a road trip there one of these weekends.

In Springfield, we have Stick It In Your Ear which mainly deals with imported live releases, vinyl, and band DVDs. It also serves as a head shop and they sell t-shirts. The only reason to shop there is for vinyl and if you're into rare obscure (probably bootleg) releases. Their CD selection is pretty good but overpriced and it's hard to find used stuff there. The staff is nice but they don't know a whole lot about the vinyl selection - only Wes, the guy who runs it, knows about the vinyl selection. They will play vinyl (and CDs, I assume) for you if you ask before you buy it.

Then we have CD Warehouse which is great. Fair prices on used stuff (usually 7-9 bucks for most) and they sell vinyl (only new). I've had issues with a few of the staff (being a-holes) but for the most part, the staff is pretty cool. Good music is usually pumping through their system. The owners are super nice and since I'm there all the time, I have gotten discounts for bulk purchases on occasion. You can listen to stuff on their CD players before you buy as well.

Avoid the Vintage Stocks in town - little selection, overpriced CDs.

Entertainmart - You won't find much there either but you can try and you may get lucky.

Soundsmart - Haven't been in there for ages but their selection is pretty skimpy and they're mainly a head shop anyway.

13. nbakid2000

Another note - all the CDs at Stick It In Your Ear are under glass as well. It's really annoying.

The vinyl prices there are usually pretty fair.

14. LLB9977

LLB9977 Member

no shortage of bad and ugly here in NYC, not even sure where i would start. luckily lots of good up in Toronto when i get around to visiting the inlaws.

15. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

A buddy and me take road trips up to Lawrence (Kansas) every couple of months. Love Garden has moved to a new location ,..still on the main drag.....and it is smaller and they are carrying a lot less stock both new and used. They are most definitely still worth a visit , however , especially if your tastes run toward the obscure and eclectic which ours do. If you go, make sure you cross the street and visit Kief's Records which is devoting more and more space to used vinyl and where, of late , I have found just as many interesting things as at Love Garden.

16. nbakid2000

How are they on CDs (both places)? I'm not huge into the vinyl.

I assume both places have good prices on used material.

17. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Worth a visit. Still pretty good at carrying the newest and strangest releases. Maintain a decent import CD selection. And Keifs across the street still has a lot of deeper catalog CDs and not just the usual anthologies.

18. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

There used to be two good record stores in Wilmington, then one closed in January. That was CD Alley... which was a fabulous place to find cool new vinyl. They consistently stocked interesting stuff like Iron & Wine and Decemberists EPs and good reissues (Miles Davis, Big Star, etc)... and their prices were a little steep (I passed up a Yo La Tengo reissue they wanted $39 for) but it was super convenient to be able to get that stuff and not wait for shipping etc. I stopped buying CDs in 2008 but back when I did, they always had what I was looking for, from Kinks imports to old Howlin' Wolf reissues. Considering how little space they had (it was in our downtown area), I don't know how they managed to keep things stocked as well as they did. The last thing I bought there was a beautiful copy of "Something New" with the Apple label for $12.

But I want to plug the one that still stands, Gravity Records, which is seriously one of the best stores service-wise I know of. I bought my turntable there and they told me they'll fix it for me if I have any issues with it. They don't have a massive selection or anything, but every time I walk in I find some amazing gem on vinyl. They can order stuff pretty fast, so what I love them for is (a) the staff, all of whom are intelligent and helpful and friendly, (b) the PRICES, which are fantastic. I've walked out with a couple dozen used records in top condition for less than $30 total. Their 45s are universally 25 cents ($1 or $2 if they have the pic sleeve) regardless of what they look like, so I've managed to pick up some pristine Beatles singles that would've cost me a pretty penny on ebay and oddball stuff like the Spaniels' "Baby It's You" and even a Royal Guardsmen 7" for a quarter.

The last time I went in I left with the Everly Brothers' "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us," Lou Reed's "Transformer," and David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust," all used, as well as the recent reissue of Pavement's "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" and the new Vampire Weekend LP... all for $36. I don't know what "Transformer" goes for because I haven't ever looked for it on ebay, but given the shape this copy was in, I would have gladly paid $20 for it alone.

Another time recently they had used but brand new-looking 180gram reissues of "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" for $15 each. Before that I got two Belle & Sebastian LPs, both OOP, for the same price. About a year ago they sold me Yo La Tengo's "Painful" LP for $20, before I even realized how difficult it is these days to find.

I love that store and want them to stay in business forever. Their used CDs are $1 or something now, too, which almost makes me want to start looking through them again.

19. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I am a frequent traveler and have shopped stores in most major cities in the US and some around the world. There are many features of a used store to rate and shoppers have different priorities but here are my observations:

1. I like stores where there are chances of finding rare items cheap...I know many items will be priced based on ebay and amazon searches but some stores will have Target, Made in Japan for US, and promo items at normal used prices where other stores apply a notable premium. I also like finding rare 80's indie records at normal <$8 prices. on-line it's hard to know if the issue is what I'm seeking so in person is preferred. The worst stores are the ones like some CD Warehouse locations that save all the rare items for ebay and leave the store for just common items.

I would like to highlight CD SOURCE in Dallas as a great store in this regard. They will note OOP, Import, audiophile release, promo etc. but don't always charge the full ebay prices. THey have a lot of new arrivals and you can shop by looking at spines with CD's in cases so variations are easily spotted and confirmed.

Half Price books is hit and miss. They clearly look most items up on amazon and ebay and often don't adjust for condition but they have 50% off coupons and each store varies. Items that don't sell get reduced in price and many hard to find vinyl items without a known ebay history get priced at $8-$15. Frequent shopping at HPB can pay off but one trip could be disappointing.

2. The well stocked and knowledgable indie record stores with new and used are fun as well....especially when prices are fair relative to on-line. Places like Amoeba & Rasputins, in CA have a good selection of items that don't necessarily have high prices on ebay/Amazon but are hard to find. SHopping in person allows me to get the condition and varition of interest. Trying to get specific pressings on-line is a pain plus there is the $3 shipping charge. Many of these stores know the value of an item and price competitively with on-line.

3. Some indie record stores have a large inventory and/or some rare items but price notably higher than on-line. I rarely buy expensive items from them but will pay a premium for the items that don't have high book values but are hard to find...especially if in strong condition.

Forever Young in Dallas has one of the largest used record inventories I've seen but notably higher priced than most stores. Only select items are worth the $20-$30 price. THey also have a lot of new CDs like Bear Family and due to a low turn of inventory they often have new OOP items. Their used CDs are normal prices.

4. I like shoppingin cities where I can hit several stores. I hit four locations in the KC last weekend and went to five Half Price books locations in Dallas area today with my 50% off coupons. The SF Bay Area has clusters of stores and next week I will be in NYC.

20. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

I haven't read this entire thread to see if this has been mentioned, but right now, Second Story Books on Parklawn Drive in Rockville, MD is *loaded* with cheap albums. There's certainly hundreds, probably thousands. No order whatsoever. Mostly classical. All in the $2.00 - $4.00 range. If you have a few hours to spend, this is the place for you!

J. D.

21. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Do they carry vinyl only or cds as well?

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Hoodlum's

Hoodlum's in Tempe has been a newer discovery for me and I am pleasantly surprised. They have been around for some time but were located nearer the ASU campus and I never visited. Their new location has just created my favorite shopping corner with Hoodlum's, a classic music store to me, Changing Hands Bookstore, Mac's Bar & Grill, Wildfire Bakery and Trader Joe's.

Anyways, Hoodlum's have good people with good knowledge, good music, promote local musicians and local art. The last of a dying breed for me.

23. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I bought a copy of Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy at CD Alley in December. Really disappointed a couple of weeks ago to learn that Fred had closed. Great guy with a huge knowledge of music.

Love, love, love Gravity! Matt is about the most laid back owner I've ever met, and as you say, if he doesn't have what you're looking for at the moment, he'll find it, order it and have it for you in a couple of days.

I could count on CD Alley to have the latest indie releases before Gravity Records would. But I know I'm going to find something interesting whenever I enter Gravity's doors. Hate like hell that Fred had to close, but it sounds like he's landing on his feet in a promoter spot for Wilmington area musicians.

Jeff

24. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Oh man, awesome that Gravity has another fan here!

And since you were asking about Manifest: Back when they had a store here, it was my all-time favorite and may still be the standard for me. I can't even remember what it was like to have FOUR local music stores in town.

25. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I bought the new Avett Brothers album on vinyl from Gravity a few weeks ago. :cheers:

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.