Used Record Stores (the good, bad, and ugly)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by fxsuperglide, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Hoodlum's began by taking over the location in the ASU Memorial Union that Zia Records abandoned several years ago. Do you know if they closed down the old location? I will have to check out the new store. The Phoenix metro area actually has a fairly good selection of record stores with Hoodlum's, Revolver Records, Rockzone, Tracks in Wax, and multiple Zia locations.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Zia's I frequent, Rockzone doesn't do anything for me, I am not sure where Revolver is anymore (didn't they move from the little house), I am not familiar with Tracks On Wax and there is still Stinkweed's and Eastside Records and yes I believe Hoodlum's closed the ASU location.

3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Record Time, Roseville, MI -- I like this place because they always make you feel welcome here. Mike Himes, the owner will stop by and say hi, and usually ask what you are looking for. Above average use vinyl selection but no $1 bin. No problem, his used slabs are $3-5. I've pulled many an obscure title out of his store for below book value. Good new vinyl and CD selection, too. My #1 stop on Record Store Day.

Car City Records - St. Clair Shores, MI. The attraction here is the $1 bin. They sneak in some jewels. I once found a mono Sgt. Peppers VG+ for a buck! The downside -- you can go into this store every week for a year and they won't even say hello. Decent new vinyl section and pretty good jazz.

Hot Hits - Roseville, MI. This store is small. But they have some real nice gems for below book. My wife always special orders stuff for me at this store. She once found me an old 45 case filled w/ Beatles pic sleeves. I cringe when I think what she must have paid for that...

4. LordThanos1969

I haven't been to Stinkweed's or Eastside Records for years. Revolver did move to a location on Roosevelt and 3rd Street. Tracks in Wax is on Central not far from Camelback. The owner Dennis sets up at the record swap meet held every other month at the Italian American Club. The store has mostly used vinyl, including some collectible material. It's worth checking out.

5. mwheelerk

Thanks for the info. I had wondered about Revolver. That is an interesting spot with a lot of the art galleries in the area. I will check it out. I am not a vinyl guy so I will probably pass on Tracks In Wax.

6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Man, I need to check these places out. Thanks.

7. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

This makes me sad.

8. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Revolver Records
    918 North 2nd Street
    Phoenix, AZ 85004

I had heard of Trax In Wax but didn't know their exact location. Will visit there next time I'm in the Valley.

9. LordThanos1969

I checked out Hoodlum's today for Record Store Day, and they had quite a bit of material for late in the day. It seemed like a very clean, well-organized store. I will be back. I went over to Rockzone's new location today for the first time, and I have to agree with you. I am not going back there.

10. mwheelerk

Maybe we crossed paths. I think I was at Hoodlum's about 7PM tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.