USPS rate increases

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hvbias, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

That's so THEY can track it. You get to pay if YOU want tracking.

It's probably automatic, creating a trail just in case there's a problem.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

No, I don't think the sender even knows it takes place. When I've asked for a d.c. number, they'll just say they didn't get one.

Maybe USPS can start to put this mystery tag on international stuff??!

3. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

4. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

And raising the rates will just make it decline more.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Yep..it's like the shortsighted people in municipal gov't that think that raising prices for bus riders will solve the money they are losing because less people take the bus. Great idea...raise the price- that will definitely spur a crowd of people to decide to ride the bus. :shake:

6. Combination

One thing I also wanted to mention related to the international increases - they changed the freaking customs form - so now you have less space to fill in the address (basically, there's no way it'll fit correctly).

And...it used to be that the employee at the counter manually typed in everything with Priority International shipments. Well, now they have to do it with first class as well. A lot of deterrents out there...

7. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

This is really bad news for everyone.

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

It wasn't entirely clear if that graph was referring to stamped mail being letters or all first class packages. If it is the former I am not too surprised about the decline. Even if USPS were to halve their prices of stamps for just letters there wouldn't be any rise in volume. Almost everything is done by email or through websites these days. The last time I mailed a letter was 1, maybe 2 years ago.

lv70smusic likes this.
  9. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

This happened at my post office too, but they didn't claim it was because of the wind.

10. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

i almost hit the buy it now on an LP today until i saw the $22.95 shipping to Australia, used to be around $15. that killed it for me.

11. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Too Right , it's not even worth it now , even if you win a great record for only a few dollars you end up paying $20+ just to get it here , i go on
    ebay to save money , thats what auctions are all about , you watch a record for a week , win the auction for a few dollars then get shafted by
    postage , with some records i used to justify it by reasoning the record cost me $5 , postage costs $20 , so to make it seem reasonable i tell myself
    that the record was $10 and postage was $15 , in the last 3 years i have probably spent around $2500 on auctions won and $2000 just to get it
    posted , daylight robbery .

12. hvbias

Does anyone know the new rate to send a single LP to the southwest part of the world? ie Australia, NZ, Thailand, Malaysia, etc?

13. A 9oz domestic First Class package was also $2.73 and 5oz was $2.04 using PayPal. I also shipped out an 11lb Priority mail domestic package a few days ago, $15.47 through PayPal. I spend about $50/month on postage, I did apply for and was granted a discount a few years ago but I have no idea how much that discount is and I don't know if those rates reflect a discount. I do know all are higher now than before but fortunately only about 3 or 4%.

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

A fairly modern single LP in a cardboard mailer usually comes in at about a pound. You can use this handy page

http://ircalc.usps.com/

to see that's going to cost about US$17 in postage and adjust up and down if you're a couple ounces over or under.

15. Combination

Prepare yourself for $23. I spent just shy of $15 for a single gatefold LP to Canada last week. :cry:

16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I'm not an eBay/Amazon seller, but even shipping a few things here and there on the forums I definitely noticed the price increase(s) after paying extra out of pocket on a few items.

17. hvbias

I think the old rate was right around $18 or 19 to the southwestern part of the world.

18. fredgsanford

fredgsanford Forum Resident

Man, am I glad I have a US shipping address with a buddy who does regular trips up here. US rates are now more ludicrous than ours.

19. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yikes. That's about double what it cost last year!!

20. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

These rates have already had an impact on my vinyl buying habits. I was looking at a $4 LP on Ebay and when I saw the shipping rate to Canada ($15) my first thought was "yet another seller gouging on shipping". Then I saw how many other sellers were charging the same rate and came here to see if something was up (turns out postage rates were what was up, way up).

I empathize, we've been dealing with the same issue with Canada Post's high rates to ship LPs to the US and within Canada ($12 - $14).

21. I've already started noticing third-party sellers on Amazon starting to price their items higher to compensate for this cost increase.

22. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Thought that was the way it would go. Also notice some sellers on ebay have put shipping prices up for international sales.

23. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Wow. Just shipped a single CD to Japan and it was a shade under $13. Used to be about half that.

24. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Misery loves company. I had forgotten about the rate increases and then I went on Amazon.com to buy a used CD - $14.29 to ship to Canada from $6.89? And that's the 21-42 day Standard. My Amazon.com days are over that's for sure.

Dave and In-Absentia like this.
  25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Just wait 'til they eliminate Media Mail. The writing is on the wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.