USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Everything in the last few days has been hosed. Guess we should do the same.

2. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Waiting on a package from Brazil since May.

Myke likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, between your response, and the seller, who tells me not only do they have insurance, but " labels with GPS scanning codes " I feel much better about not losing my $74.09. I'd rather have an undamaged copy of the SACD in my avatar, but we'll see.

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Three weeks is nothing now for international shipping (Europe/Australia etc.), I had an EMS order from Japan take 4 weeks which was unheard of pre-COVID 19. There is nothing we can to speed things up except stick to ordering from your own country or pay ridiculous shipping charges.

Myke likes this.
  5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

Right now things are a mess with the USPS. Most of my orders are 1-2 days late (95%), some take unusual routes, and others get lost at a neighboring town's Post Office for a few days then back to the Distribution Center then out for proper delivery. It seems like a great time to stop ordering until the mess is fixed.

Ernest T, Myke and eelkiller like this.
  6. Myke

Once again, as I approached the only Post Office in town, it looked like either a football game, or a concert.
    Vehicles in line in both directions in the parking lot, the larger pickup trucks up on the grass.
    I had to circle the lot once in order to get a parking spot.
    Get out, put on my mask, grab my packages, go in to the outer lobby area, where the line to get in to the clerks is extremely long, but moving.
    When I get inside the Service Lobby, where 3 people are allowed 6 feet apart, I asked my neighbor / clerk " Are they even thinking about building a second post office to keep up with the population growth ? "
    She tells me no. Management " won't even allow us to have 3 clerks working the desk at once ! "
    I told her in my entire lifetime, I've never seen a busier post office.
    This was a town of 37k when I moved here nearly two years ago, I can't wait to see what the current Census comes up with.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My guess is, it's going to tell them something that needs fixing...that they won't be allowed to affect, because "somebody" wants them to look poorly-managed, and wants them to appear it's their own fault.

I see you're in Tennessee. Just look at the state north of you, and you'll see why improvements seem to happen at a turtle's pace. ;)

stinsojd and Alan G like this.
  8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Hmmm,May. New Postmaster General,Louis DeJoy,appointed in May. Goal is to run USPS like a for-profit operation,basically taking the " Service" out of the United States Postal Service. Wiki has Mr. DeJoy invested in millions in UPS & J.B. Hunt-contractors and competitors of the USPS. Nowadays,the "last mile" becomes an increasingly important point for delivery for everyone.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

His only requirement for this job, is whether or not he'll follow the policies of who appointed him. Also, to have little or no empathy to what his subordinates will be pleading to him about, even less so for the customers who rely on him. And, to sweep reasonable improvement strategies under the rug.

We have so much to do once the current Powers That Be realize, they can't hold back a furious tide of voters, armed with cellphone cameras, passion and a clear understanding of exactly what it is that's being taken from them. And, once that is made plain, I can imagine hordes of overworked, exhausted and frustrated postal employees will join the currently-disenfranchised former bureaucrats in picking up all the broken toys and setting the foundations of our infrastructure back into place.

While petulant, impatient audiophiles continue to kvetch about low-priority packages not taking on enough significance in the Things To Do strategy they're going to have to set right first.

stinsojd and Alan G like this.
  10. jimac51

One thing to remember about UPS-overnight,guaranteed delivery before 10:30AM means that virtually nothing not in that category is delivered till after 10:30AM .When in retail,I had to plead with the driver to let loose other packages for the business early,in plain sight in the truck. I constantly was praising the driver on other occasions just to let him know we appreciated even the mundane deliveries he made.

11. jimac51

Are you referring to the public getting hosed,as that seems to be the case. Postmaster General Louis DeJoy asked by the House Oversight & Reform Committee for questioning Sept. 17. Hopefully A C-Span 1 must see TV moment. Watch the body language. DeJoy bears a resemblance to baseball player/media presence the late Joe Garagiola,who once hosted the game show To Tell The Truth.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  12. Joseph.McClure

It's still in Brazil o_O

• Aug 04 2020 07:19 am

2020-08-04T07:19:00
      Object forwarded Distribution Unit in SAO PAULO / SpTo Paísem UNITED STATES OF AMERICA /
      SAOPAULO/SP

• Aug 01 2020 08:09 am

Encaminhado para fiscalização aduaneira
      SAOPAULO/SP

13. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy is a major Trump supporter. FYI only.

14. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

My current experience is a Discogs order that was shipped from PA on July 15th is stuck on "In Transit, Arriving Late" and has been since July 19th. I messaged the seller a week ago. He was responsive but said only that, in his experience, the mail has been slow recently. Perhaps the package is lost in the mail? If so, what do I do? Thanks.

15. Joseph.McClure

My post office told me to wait 3 months for domestic mail to arrive.

16. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Just Wow! Send Christmas gifts next month.

17. Francophile50

Here is my latest story. I ordered colored CD Jewel cases a couple weeks ago. Since a month ago I put a vacation hold on my mail because of a misdelivered package.

Instead of delivering it to 2112 on my street they delivered it to 2112 around the corner on the next street. The person on that house walked around the corner and knocked on my door and I was in the shower I didn't hear them so they didn't leave the package they took it back to their house and gave it to the postman the next day. Instead of him walking around the corner and delivering it to my house he took it back to the post office and I had to chase it and I finally got it but that's when I put the hold on my mail.

Well last Saturday I heard the clank of my mailbox next to my door and I thought that's weird I've got a hold on my mail. I looked in the box and sure enough they delivered my mail. I thought what the hell I'm going to have to go back Monday and see if the hold still on. Then I got notification that my package was delivered and I knew that it wasn't delivered to my house. I went in to the post office they didn't know what happened. I started investigation and then today I got a call from my mailman.

He came by and dropped off the package. They scratched out the address and wrote in 2172 and delivered it to that address. I gave him a water and thanked him and he said if you like music I'll drop off some jazz CDs to you and every time I take a day off everything goes to hell. Well now I have a new best friend. His name is Jason and now I have somebody to give little gifts to, to keep the mail on track. Phew.

ScramMan2 and jason202 like this.
  18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Hit or miss for me. Had a LP recently that was schedule for delivery on a specific day. All day said out of or delivery. Late in the day switched to delivery date unknown for about a week. Then showed up unexpectedly. No clue what happened.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

everything's getting heavily delayed for me now, incoming and outgoing. tracking is worthless as far as delivery dates are concerned. might be time to move to priority only for a while.

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I meant days, not hours...

21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Had a package coming to me through USPS saying that it'll be here today by 8pm.
    Soon as it became 8pm today, there was no longer any arrival date listed when tracking, just that it's in transit.

Myke likes this.
  22. Myke

First Class is still doing right by my buyers, only one jerk opened a case against me on eBay on the 6th day since I shipped it, and it was in his town when he opened the case !?!?!?
    One chat to an eBay employee got the case closed, and my money released from a hold.
    The Priority I sent out yesterday has been sitting in a Nashville PO all day when it should be on it's way to California.

Incoming : Got 3 albums coming, 2 Priority, 1 Media Mail. Requested the Priority on both, only paid extra for one.

23. Francophile50

I have one coming from Spain. Paid for and sent July 2 guaranteed by July 27. I guess I'll give it a couple more weeks before I do anything. I have noticed some packages with no tracking and even if the post office scans them delivered they do not show delivered. I listen to them and leave feedback. Kinda crazy.

24. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

When you find a good one take care of them. They won't be around long, they'll get promoted and you'll have to train a new one.

25. Francophile50

From my understanding the post office carriers are like vultures. They hang around waiting for someone to die or retire. There was a comedy song about Rocky Balboa sung to Eye of the Tiger but the chorus was Die or Retire.

I'll do what I can but it's not up to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.