USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As of now, the most efficiently-run organization in the history of business in our country, the only one required by law to fund their employees pension 75 years into the future, yet still has massive support from not only its' customer base, but the public as well, has suffered another shot fired over the bow. The newly-appointed Postmaster General spent the end of the week "cleaning house" of upper-level management, turfing some, re-assigning others, and no doubt replacing a lot of them with yet other people who share his lack of experience in running the Postal Service in the face of restrictive, vindictive regulations imposed by people who get donations from its' competitors to pay for their own campaigns.

Instead, those people who have worked hard in the face of all the roadblocks purposely placed in front of them year after year, just trying to get to the point where the climate could change so they could solve the public's problems instead of exacerbate them...are instead looking for their next job, or waiting-out the freeze until what is expected to be a change in January, so they might be able to get back to work.

My passion cannot be contained, so I urge you to go looking elsewhere for news on the subject. And plan your activities approaching the events of November 3rd accordingly.

g.z., Reese, Alan G and 2 others like this.
  2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Tracking on usps.com is down, and when I go to track a package, I get...
    Can't even track now... what a $#!tshow!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I went into the post office yesterday to get some packages scanned in.

I asked the person at the counter what's going on. He said there's an intentional work slowdown by USPS workers to protest new rules that reduce overtime.

I'll tell you this: If the USPS workers want my sympathies, this is NOT the way to go about doing it. Yeah, they got my attention, but not in a good way.

black sheriff and bmh5879 like this.
  4. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

Just Wow. I said a little prayer the this be fixed. I hope that this does not stay down long. Even though I don't need it at this moment, there are countless people who are counting on it to give them hope that their package of music, medicine, or object that makes their life easier arrive soon.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Wonder how they crashed the tracking site ? All day btw. Got a Priority that's been "In Transit" for 6 days so far.
    I believe I may stop selling and buying once everything does finally reach it's destinations.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

But at the same time, it wasn't that long ago the way we knew something may have arrived was to keep an eye out for the mailman. :shrug:

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, you're okay with the situation they're in, but not the way they react to it?
    That's kinda the way labor always got respect in the history of the 20th Century...by showing Management they can't earn their pay, without the workers getting treated better as well.
    The Postal Service is in a totally different fight...because their Postmaster doesn't even want them to do their work satisfactorily, because they were put in charge to ruin it to begin with.
    This is them sending up a big red flag, because they need people to get angry about what's being done to one of our most efficient and universal public services, in an effort to mess with democracy itself.

This is a helluva lot more significant than just griping, "where's my package".

8. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

What about the people awaiting medicine? They really don't understand how vital their position is. We need to have a stimulus package for the post office. These guys are being squeezed from both ends.

Alan G likes this.
  9. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

This is the first time I have ever seen this from USPS:
    [​IMG]
    Prior email alerts said I would get my package on Aug 7. Didn't show. Didn't show on Saturday. Didn't show today. On Aug 5, the package was at a PO only 2 hours from me. 5 days and it can't move 2 hours distance?

That was a very fast implementation of service reduction.

10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

In their defense,notice was made on site that the system would be shut down for maintenance,staring 8/8 @ 9PM with no end time mentioned.

Gumboo likes this.
  11. jimac51

Good trouble. The customer is not their intended target. And they don't want sympathy,they want what is a perceived wrong righted. Success? Well,they are getting a lot of attention and the new PG seems to be getting some heat,which is,indeed,the intention. His boss doesn't need another snafu. Now everyone is watching and asking.

zongo likes this.
  12. jimac51

Update. Media Mail package arrived 8/8 @11:43AM. Got to talk with delivery person and was told that the building was indeed in disarray. Odd,while exchanging info,another USPS delivery truck pulls up for package exchange. Turns out the drivers are in-laws. Within minutes I had an email to Real Gone Music and a quick reply(remember,this was Saturday). Just the right amount of snark about it all-another reason why the company is a favorite.

13. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

5 days after arriving a couple hours away up the road and then disappearing, a coveted purchase has just turned up on the other side of the country, far further away than from where it was originally shipped. And yet, I am relieved because it has shown up... SOMEWHERE.

14. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Keep in mind that there is a slow down related to no overtime at the USPS now.

15. jimac51

Chilling piece on the Huffpost website concerning political stuff forbidden here but with some plain facts,including 40,000 postal workers having to quarantine during the current pandemic,and at least 75 deaths. A perfect storm of a system thrown into purposeful disarray in a time of sickness and death with no ability to use non-physical means to correct some of the wrong. They needed a lifesaver,they have been handed an anchor,a la Roadrunner cartoons. As sad as it is for food preparation workers to continue restaurants,this is another group of "essential workers",often meaning the bottom rung of the work chain unable to stay out of physical harm's way-an unknown yet menacing work environment.
    On a side note as to who is considered an "essential worker",I saw many folks working in a local grocery chain wearing "I'm an essential worker" t-shirts,a nice thought .I queried about the shirts and found that the shirts were not free- workers had to pay for one if they wanted one. When I asked corporate via email for a reason,the answer was the money was going to charity,but not one directly connected to the workers. I then pushed why the money was not going to,say,a sunshine fund for workers in extra need(something that,for example,the Wawa convenience store chain has been doing for years,as a stand alone bonafide non-profit),I have regularly brought the subject up while shopping,with hopes to stir dissent with the hope that change will take place from bottom up and the company will find themselves shamed for not helping their "essential workers". The building where this grocery is located was once part of a smaller chain I worked for 15 years. It was family owned union shop and,at one point,dominated the food business in 3 cities. While I worked in non-union management, my youngest kid was in a terrible car accident. My boss told me to stay with my family still things were manageable and not a day of pay was missed,nor did I have to make up lost time. Sam Walton visited decades before and picked the brains of the owners. Walton's light bulb idea of taking some of the chain's ideas(e.g. centralized checkouts for all departments,save gun sales and large ticket items) would be known as Walmart. Now you know the rest of the story. Good day.

zongo and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Anachostic

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Now when you go to print a shipping label at eBay you see this banner:

"USPS is experiencing significant delays across their delivery network. Please consider using other carrier options that may provide a better buyer experience."​

bmh5879 likes this.
  18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Just got a record from North Carolina, shipped Media Mail to Southern California in 5 days.
    Still waiting almost 30 days for a record from New Orleans, also shipped Media Mail.

It's all just so random!

bmh5879 likes this.
  19. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

So, ImportCDs sent me a package on July 22. Everything seemed normal , with it arriving in Los Angeles on the 26th, and then this happened:

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SANTA MONICA, CA 90401 on July 27, 2020 at 11:19 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Status
    In-Transit
    July 27, 2020 at 11:19 am Arrived at USPS Facility SANTA MONICA, CA 90401

...and no progress after that. Today is Aug. 12th. Santa Monica is a suburb of LA, and I'm four hours north in San Luis Obispo County; mail usually goes from LA to either hub in Santa Barbara or Goleta and then on to me. When my postmaster looks at the tracking number on his internal postal system, it actually says it was "misdirected" to Santa Monica. It should never have gone there.

But here's where it gets really weird.

My postmaster went to another local post office branch to fill in for a week, and during that week, not one, not two but THREE other customers came in, all with the EXACT same situation: a package went to Santa Monica on July 27th and then... nothing. He said "in transit," means it left Santa Monica. The question is, where did these — and probably many others — go on this one day after being inexplicably sent to Santa Monica, and why have they seemingly vanished out of the system? They've opened an investigative case...

20. Anachostic

If I'm reading the news on this correctly, it sounds like postal workers are not allowed to let a truck wait until it's fully loaded. When it's time to go, you go, and leave behind anything that didn't get loaded. Also, they re not allowed to send multiple trucks if they can't fit it all in one truck. So, I would imagine things are piling up pretty quickly, especially for heavy routes. Their solution is probably to put the excess on other trucks and get it to another hub where it has a chance of getting on a less loaded truck.

It's a different perspective on efficiency, for sure. You're sacrificing speed for reduced operating expense. If you've ever had anything shipped by UPS Smartpost when it first came out, that was comical to watch the route it would take.

bmh5879 likes this.
  21. jimac51

One more reason to use USPS,knowing there will be irates. Keep the steam building. Don't let up. Applause for the workers-dirtballs for the dirtball making the decisions.

jason202 likes this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

zongo likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I would be very skeptical of an article that asserts, based on a biased source (union head), that something that appears on the surface ridiculous is, in fact, as it is presented.

Removing a mail sorter to rely on inefficient hand sorting? Show me the edict (the removal would be documented).

24. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

USPS tracking sometimes is bad publicity for the Post Office.
    It shows how messed up they can be.

Here is a good example.
    I had a record sent to me from Michigan three weeks ago.
    The tracking shows that it was mailed on the 24th of July, made it all the way to the Ybor City FL distribution center on August 8th.
    I live in FL and the Ybor City FL distribution center is about 20 minutes from where I live.
    Well, the P.O., for what ever reason, has now shipped the package to an Alabama distribution center!!!
    Not only has it been to four different FL distribution centers, any of which could have sent it directly to me.
    Now it has been shipped out of state.
    Not sure when I am going to see this one.

August 12, 2020, 1:27 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    MOBILE AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in MOBILE AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX on August 12, 2020 at 1:27 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
    August 11, 2020
    In Transit to Next Facility
    August 8, 2020, 1:16 pm
    YBOR CITY FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    August 8, 2020, 8:37 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    August 8, 2020, 6:15 am
    OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    August 7, 2020, 1:41 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    August 6, 2020, 12:21 am
    MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    July 30, 2020, 11:35 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    July 26, 2020, 2:51 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    PITTSBURGH PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    July 24, 2020, 5:13 pm
    Departed Post Office
    WESTLAND, MI 48185
    July 24, 2020, 12:28 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    WESTLAND, MI 48185

Myke likes this.
  25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Taking almost 20 days to get through what should be a 7-hour car drive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.