USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I've decided to put on hold all online media mail orders until I have everything I am expecting - and then I will have no more than 2 at a time out there until the smoke clears which might be quite a while - I am trying to help out local shops but not at the expense of having these packages bouncing around the country, while my money is tied up and I am wondering if it's lost money or not. The item above that was in Wilmington DE yesterday arrived in Philadelphia this PM.

Looks like USPS is just creating more of a headache and backlog for themselves by letting these items circulate all over the country.

TX to NJ to MA to NC to NJ to "insert next random city here" is really creating a lot of necessary work for limited/new/poorly trained staff.

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Last week, I bought a CD on eBay from someone in Michigan. The disc sat in Pontiac, MI for a couple days before making it to the Chicago Distribution Center two days ago. Considering I live in the suburbs, I should get the disc today at the latest, right? As of 3:24 this morning, the package was in Detroit. :crazy:

And I love how the USPS thinks we're stupid: the tracking clearly stated that the disc was in Chicago, now the verbiage for that date has been changed to "in transit to next facility", making it appear that the package never left Michigan. Which, after all the time that has passed, makes the USPS actually look even more inept.

3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I would give it at least another two weeks, that would be four weeks since arrival in JC. It could very well be that all packages regardless of ‘class’ are purposely being delayed for any number of reasons. Our regular mail seems to be delayed as well.

4. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I'm not so sure - I have noticed that some items have arrived really quickly. I recently had a First Class CD arrive in 3 days from Alabama. Some other items have been randomly quick while others are just, well, lost?

Also interesting that this one went to Trenton and not Jersey City.

[​IMG]

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I don't think it is still in the system. I am giving it until May 22nd and then I am notifying the buyer that I am opening a case within the 30 day time limit for a missing item. I've taken a loss on three other items that were "lost" in transit since April of 2018. I am not taking a loss on this one.

Three Media items went through relatively BAU since that item "arrived" at JC on May 2nd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  6. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Did this ever show up? I’ve been watching the tracking for an item coming in from Switzerland. Last scan was almost two weeks ago in Jamaica NY.

trying to stay optimistic.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Chicagoland suburbs here, and experiencing similar issues. I've got vinyl sent medial mail to me that is last tracked at the Chicago distribution center on may 1st, no other update other than "in transit to next facility".

I've got another vinyl stuck in the dreaded Jersey City NJ distribution center last tracked April 30th, with latest tracking from May 4th in transit to next facility.

My recent VMP ROTM order was actually sent to me pretty early but is currently spinning the wheels within the USPS media mail circuit.

I think this is a sign that I need to hold off on all vinyl media mail purchases for a while until things get resolved, or pay the extra to have USPS priority/first class.

8. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The CD I mentioned upthread that I bought from an eBay seller in Michigan FINALLY arrived today after nine days. Michigan to Chicago to Detroit and back to Chicago before the fun REALLY started. It made it to my local PO (Bridgeview) early yesterday morning before being "missent" (USPS's own word) to Lemont later in the morning. Then, overnight the package visited (haha) Fox Valley and Bedford Park before returning to Bridgeview and mercifully delivered.

I have another CD coming (hopefully) that arrived at the Chicago Distribution Center Monday morning. Five days later, it's "in transit to next facility." O-kay...

recstar24 likes this.
  9. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I had a lp bounce between Gallatin and Nashville Tn. for over 3 weeks before @MYKE got involved and saved the day.
    Now, an ebay item takes the scenic route...…. My wife orders a roll of elastic to make protective masks from a "supposed U.S. seller" who is really based in China, (go figure).
    Here's the trip this $28 roll of elastic has taken:
    Order placed 4/7
    tracking number provided 4/7 3:07 pm
    arrived at shipping partner 4/7 9:02 am (6 hours earlier than when tracking number suppliedo_O)
    departed shipping partner 4/15
    arrived at Winter Haven Fl. post office on 5/4 (19 days transit!)
    arrived usps facility Winter Haven 5/4 (Winter Haven is 2+ hours from me)
    arrives Ybor City Fl. 5/8 (4 days to go 45 miles) 90 minutes from me.
    departs Ybor City on 5/13
    arrives COLUMBIA S.C. @ 4:54 pm 5/13 :eek:
    departs Columbia S.C. and arrives in GREENVILLE S.C. @7:21 pm on 5/13
    5/16 - In transit to next facility :yikes:
    On 5/13 it went from 90 minutes drive time from me to Greenville S.C.!
    Unbelievable...….. (or is it?)

Old Zorki II, Myke and Planbee like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

OMG, that sucks, man! :doh:

11. Muzyck

To add insult to injury, U.S.P.S. tracking dropped from my "Informed Delivery" dashboard. When I try and add it back it now returns "Package(s) could not be added because age is past the expiration".

12. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:mad:

13. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I finally had the order from Australia show up 9 weeks later. It would figure, I finally contacted the seller regarding this and 2 days later it shows up.

I am still awaiting a delivery from Nashville on March 27.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

UPDATE! My vinyl that was stuck at Chicago Distribution Center on May 1st is NOW OUT FOR DELIVERY.

That's May 1-18, 17 days stuck in media mail limbo all within a 20 mile or so radius from me lol.

Planbee and George P like this.
  15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

1. 5/11/2020 8:10 AM ET - Unknown-OF - ALHAMBRA, CA
    2. 5/11/2020 2:11 PM ET - Delivered - ALHAMBRA, CA
    Anyone know what the code "Unknown-OF" means? I've tried researching this online to no avail. Tracking shows it was
    delivered hours after, but recipient claims he never received it.

16. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

I've had two Media Mail items go through Jersey City in one day. Maybe the worst is over.

recstar24 likes this.
  17. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I hops so but maybe not quite - I have 2 that arrived there 5 days ago and are both in limbo. Once they depart Jersey City they're usually at my doorstep the next day.

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Here's a good one...

Two orders placed with Deep Discount on May 12, one in the morning and the other later that day.

Both shipped on May 13th.

I'm naturally watching the tracking for the first one because that just makes sense. I see it accepted in Louisville on May 16th. Whatever, sometimes DD takes a while to actually get their packages into the system. It then goes to Pittsburgh and is currently in transit to the next stop, wherever that might be.

In the meantime, yesterday afternoon a package shows up unexpectedly from DD. Yep, it is the second order. Seems that one avoided the stop in Pittsburgh and managed to make it straight to Anaheim, CA.

Really odd routing on the first one if you ask me.

19. Musicman1257

Musicman1257 Well-Known Member

Here's another good one for you:

I'm not going to sit here and bash the USPS as I respect those putting themselves on the line during this pandemic to make sure we are receiving our mail.

But, seeing everyone's issues in this thread, I wanted to share this.

Back in April of this year, I bought a sealed vinyl record from a reputable seller (whom i've purchased from before) in Chicago. He shipped it media mail and dropped it in his local post office drop box on April 17th, 2020. It's now May 20th, 2020 and it's still in pre-shipment status online and hasn't been scanned anywhere. I've already submitted a claim online to USPS, and have spoken with both the post office it was shipped from and my local post office in Philadelphia, PA. I was told by both post offices that the address label was not done correctly and that my name was in the "address" line" , etc. Yet the seller says his print label receipt looks perfect. So i'm not sure why:

A) the label would look that way
    B) why if they can see the label was bad why wasn't it scanned?
    C) why it hasn't been returned to seller as it's undeliverable yet after 30 days.

The seller has offered a full refund but this was a sealed LP from the early 90s (which are hard to come by) and would be irreplaceable. While I don't mind the refund, in this case, i'd rather have the product. I get things are delayed because of the global pandemic but there seems to be too many things being lost. I've submitted a missing mail package twice and it keeps getting automatically sent to my local post office instead of where it originated from. Is it possible it's still out there and, because it's media mail, would take awhile to get back to the sender if the address label was done incorrectly? Any chance it still shows up?

20. Muzyck

My experience with the U.S.P.S. any time they lose a package is the claim that it was not addressed properly.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Rodz42 and bmh5879 like this.
  21. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Same. I mean if they lose something it can't possibly be their fault, right?

George P likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have another package I shipped--Priority Mail--that is now at 10 days and still not delivered.

This is the third Priority Mail package I've shipped in the last month that has taken > 10 days, with one package taking 20 days. Two of the packages, perhaps not coincidentally, went through Michigan.

I understand Media Mail taking its time. But for Priority Mail this is ridiculous.

Planbee likes this.
  23. Muzyck

I had a package sent from Israel last year that got sent back to sender with "undeliverable as addressed" sticker with the word "NIXIE" on it. The sender sent me an image of the label so I brought it to my local post office to see if they could tell me what was wrong with the label. The response I got was that it was fine and just a computer error. "Just have them send it again". No big deal, right? I guess I shouldn't have expected any other response.

24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Addressed to me media mail doing circles across the country.. this is the first time I see that. From WA to FL to back to WA to...
    [​IMG]

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

You are living less then an hour from me (I actually in Parrish). Neighbour! )) We should trade records one day )))))
    Package dance Ybor City - Jacksonville - Sarasota - Winter Haven and back is nothing new ))).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.