Valley Girl

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by genesim, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I believe that was one factor (of many) in the death of One From The Heart. His acting was wooden, and you just don't care about him.

2. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got an update....and I swear I am not just saying this. Delivery tomorrow! So pumped. I also got the VHS tape coming in to compare it too.

I haven't been this excited about a new release for years.

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Haven't seen this in the thread thus far, so I must:

Q: Is this Blu-ray in 3D?
    A: No, but your face is!

4. genesim

Bitchin!

Galley likes this.
  5. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

Me too!

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I love One From The Heart.

The thing that most people don't get, is that the acting and the words are only a part of the story being told - the rest of it is in the songs. If you don't pay attention to all those song lyrics, you'll miss half of it.

The story is basically schematic, with all these couples - Frederic Forrest and Teri Garr, their friends Harry Dean Stanton and Lainie Kazan, their flings Nastassja Kinski and Raul Julia - and the fourth and most important couple is Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle. The lyrics are conveying half the emotion, going on inside of their minds, and saying what they just can't say.

joelee likes this.
  7. genesim

I like that guy, I welcome something worth watching from him, especially if it has depth..

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That soundtrack might be one of my Desert Island discs. Just fantastic

uzn007 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Yeah the mixture of Tom's voice and Crystal's is just stunning. The main couples very first scene, is them not actually connecting with each other, each taking the other for granted. And the lyrics are what they're not saying to each other:

Looks like you spent the night in a trench.
    And how long you been combing your hair with a wrench?
    Smells like a pool hall. Where's my other shoe?
    I'm sick and tired of picking up after you.

I told you before I won't tell you again...
    You don't defrost the ice box with a ballpoint pen.
    This railroad above us is held together with glue.
    And I'm sick and tired of picking up after you.

10. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Man, I was a teen in the 80's and I don't recall ever seeing this movie. I know of it, but can't recall even seeing it on HBO or anything.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And a little kiss from Jack Shelton to close things out

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Really? It's definitely one of my top five 80s teen movies.

artfromtex, clhboa and Duke Fame like this.
  13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Another fan of One from the Heart, really like him in that film.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, it's either that or I saw it and have no memory of it. And I've seen probably every 80's teen movie ever made. I'll have to search it out at the library or something and watch it.

15. genesim

This movie is a must. It has a nice the Graduate feel, and it also has great music.

Along with Xanadu, I can think of very few movies that I think of kick-starting the 80's sound and look quite like these movies. It is a great time to see the film. If this scan is as good as it is supposed to be, I would recommend a blind buy.

That and this is Nick Cage's first starring role. Just can't say enough good things about this classic film. HBO GOLD!

Duke Fame likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I just watched this last night on On Demand and earlier just now was looking at a thread on Blu-ray.com where some are talking about the songs:
    Valley Girl (1983) (Collector's Edition) - Page 6 - Blu-ray Forum

notesfrom and uzn007 like this.
  17. genesim

I see that there is mention of Do You Really Want to Hurt Me on the phone dedication and Rock the Casbah when Randy gets kicked out.

Very cool info and I too can confirm an Ebay auction that had the 35mm print with at least those two songs listed.

Now...where were the other two before they were cut??!!

18. genesim

Ok got it. Here is my take...and I am no expert....:D I just said that because some posters love hearing that so much.

First off, the exclusive poster. Same as the cover as advertised. Total bummer. I was hoping for original poster art. NOPE. Now that said, the original poster art is on the reversable cover of the bluray. I immediately turned that around and I am pleasantly surprised that it has all the detail of the first VHS release. It really is nice to look at.

The slip cover as expected looks the same with the new art. Not a big fan of it, and it seems to mirror My Chauffeur artwork, but not as good.

The movie itself:

GRAIN. I love it. No DNR that I can see. The colors and details are lush. At first I thought there was a problem with the green being too strong, and the beginning of it is very apparent. I actually was worried when Loryn's jeans actually looked more green then blue jean. Now mind you I am comparing this with a VCR tape that has all the colors out of it, but I thought something has to be wrong. Then I look at the fluorescent lights in the mall, and thought, you know what, it all looks green!

What I kept noticing is how all the colors look so diverse and very true to the look. Examples of this are the Andy Warhol Elizabeth Taylor with very specific Red lips and Blue eye shadow, the Heinz red, Winchell's Donut House yellow, Rainbow Bar and Grill Purple and Green etc.... While there are some people that think you can color correct by "gut", getting these things right is paramount to getting an idea of how the film should look. There is not doubt in my mind that this is more right than wrong and what we have here is some special care.

The movie looks so film like and the back to negative gives it a whole new life. It has a Vinegar Syndrome bluray look and this is a very very good thing.

The details do pop and a great example of this is how the pantyhose that are shown constantly throughout the movie are easily seen down to the sheen on Purcell's leg. Very nice indeed. Matter of fact, the perv in me can see the pantyhose line up Stacey's stomach. Now that is detail!

To say this transfer is heavenly is an understatement. Comparing to the utter crap I have lived with since the VHS days, this is really a cut above. The Viper Room is a great example of where the detail comes to life and the darkness that I could barely make out...even on the DVD...is just so nice here.

Here are some screenshots if you want to get an idea, but seeing on your own screen is best.

Valley Girl – Blu-ray Screenshots

I have tracked through many dark scenes and see no macroblocking, or compression artifacts. There is also no edge enhancements or haloing at all. While I detected some blur like in the scene with them listening to the dedication from Randy, I put this off to how it was filmed.

The music is all intact (sadly, not the ones mentioned before that were cut for most of the audience). This is just about as good as it gets. I my first impressions is that the 5.1 DTS Master Audio is nice and full with some great separation and dare I say some nice surrounds, for example, in the club scenes. The 2.0 sounds well mixed as well. Usually original mixes can sound thin, but this is not the case here. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

As for extras, most are listed, so I won't bore with that.

The 50 min HD interview with Martha Coolidge and "Loryn" and "Stacey" looks great as well as Heidi Holicker show and tell with her original album and pictures and framed notes from Martha is very nice addition as well as the extra documentary and extended interviews (not in HD).

I could keep typing, but I am ready to enjoy all this. This purchase is simply a no-brainer for fans of the 80's and already fans of the film. Truly a perfect upgrade. Hope this information helps.

WHAT A GREAT MOVIE!

19. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Thanks for the comprehensive review, but what the heck is "Vinegar Syndrome"?

20. genesim

A company like Shout Factory. See page one mid page.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. genesim

One more note.

The red look of the screenshots is not what I see with this transfer. My HDTV is calibrated, but obviously mileage is going to vary from set to set.

What is clear to me is that my computer shows almost the same thing. The screen shots are not indicating of what you will get, but just an idea.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Great screenshots at that link, thanks for posting. Man, Elizabeth Daily is adorable.

genesim likes this.
  23. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

What are the other two? 'Town Called Malice' and ?

24. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Colleen Camp was such a voluptuous hottie in the 70s and 80s. Now, she's huge but that's the old story. Hour glass figures turn into hour and a half glass figures!

25. genesim

And Bananarama He Was Really Saying Something.

If anyone knows in what part if movie originally would be great!

Xxxxx
    It is amazing how she looked so different in only a few short years from Apocalypse Now.

However she is very enjoyable person and could be medication/health issue. Cannot judge.

I liked her doing the little yoga move regardless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.