Vallotte! Way better than I remembered.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz Thread Starter

Just picked up another copy of Julian Lennon's Vallotte since my original was stolen in 1994 and I'm blown away by how well it has held up! "Space" is a dreamy masterpiece as is "OK For You", All in all I am finding this album more enjoyable than MOST of his father's solo albums. So glad I picked it back up.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Still got it on cassette!

Still enjoy it!

3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Julian had an almost insurmountable legacy to overcome. That being said, his recording career has been more interesting and consistent in quality than some would credit.

longdist01, Retropsych, jricc and 2 others like this.
  4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

As strong as Julian came out of the gate, I’m still surprised he didn’t have more mainstream staying power.

longdist01 and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wasn't his next album Secret Value of Daydreaming really crappy? Maybe that stalled everything. I heard his later album Photograph Smile is really good.

7. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I love Photograph Smile, i think it's Julian's best record.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Almost?

I think he gets plenty of credit around here. Most talented Beatles kid by far.

jwoverho, D-rock and longdist01 like this.
  9. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I still love the debut LP!
    ''Valotte'' U.S. Test Pressing LP

[​IMG]

c-eling and sandmountainslim1 like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Bizarrely, the video for this single, along with “Too Late for Goodbyes”, was shot by non other than renowned filmmaker Sam Peckinpah. The last work Peckinpah completed before he died.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Julian was a reasonably talented artist, just without his father’s once-in-a-generation level musical vision. I suspect that if he had needed to devote himself to his career, he could have developed into a singer songwriter like a Stephen Bishop or a post-Raspberries Eric Carmen. As it turned out, given the constant comparisons to his father and his not needing to actually work for a living, I don’t think the drive was there once the popularity waned, so he never really developed his gifts.

Recordfan likes this.
  12. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Wow! I did not know this.. TY for info.

stepeanut likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The 1984 12 inch promo for Say You're Wrong includes a 'new mix' which repeats 'I love you more than a man can say' part after the guitar solo. On the album version it plays it out till fade.
    Great song, love this album :)

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

No need to work, lacking drive, failure to develop gifts. That pretty well describes the solo careers of all the Beatles :)

Anyway, Valotte remains a great song and sounds stunningly like John.

15. The very first live concert I ever went to (age 16) was Julian Lennon, in St. Louis in about 1985, iirc (at the Muny). And Vallote was probably one of the first 10 albums I ever bought, I’m pretty sure (on cassette).

Don’t think I’ve had a physical copy since that tape gave out in the early 90’s (and my music tastes changed in college), but I’ve streamed it a few times over the last 5-10 years, and it still holds up pretty well.

sandmountainslim1 and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.