Valve learning question for a newbie ( Vincent SV-237MK)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andy Saunders, Dec 27, 2018.

1. moops

moops Senior Member

You can find out a bit more about it by searching around a bit, but the 6992 is not a replacement for the 6N1p-EV for this amp. One owner on a different forum even said he asked Vincent about it and they said don't swap in the 6992.

It appears the circuit was designed specifically for the 6n1p-EV. If you start messing with supposed equivalent tubes in those positions you could be inviting problems later on.

The reasoning for not doing it seems to involve the 6n1p's higher current draw.

If you want to try some different 6n1p-EV valves, just grab some Russian Voskhod with the "rocket logo" on them.

Hope this helps.

:wave:

labreahouse likes this.
  2. labreahouse

labreahouse Forum Resident

This helps tons, thank you!

3. moops

moops Senior Member

No worries! ........ I've actually gone full circle and just this weekend went back to the original Shuguang 12AX7B that came with the 237MK. After experimenting with a few of the new production 12AX7's around the place - Mullard, Tung Sol, Genalex - I bought a couple of new Shuguangs, slotted one in and I'm really, really liking it.

I keep forgetting ...... If it ain't broke don't fix it. :doh:

labreahouse and rockin_since_58 like this.
  4. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore Thread Starter

@labreahouse

Do not use the 6922! As others have said it is incompatible with the Vinny.

Could you feedback on the Telefunken when you have had some time with it.:)

labreahouse and moops like this.
  5. labreahouse

So, I'm not pleased to report I think I'll be switching back to stock. I've spent all this burn in time just hoping to get back to where I was, and I don't think it's gonna happen. The 3D imaging and overall soundstage has improved for sure, which I love, but the gooey-heroin-syrup of warmth is gone. Bass has lost weight and hi-hats just sound like treble. Certainly more detail in the highs, but not really in the way I was hoping. Certainly doesn't sound 'bad', but something was lost that I miss. These NOS tubes weren't cheap, I'm kinda stunned they didn't blow the stockers out of the water.

I'm not entirely sure if it's the Telefunken or the Brimar that's the culprit, but I'm gonna guess it's the Brimar in the SV-237. I'll try switching that one (JJ EC83S) back and report back. (I didn't mess with the stock 6N1p's.)

Andy Saunders likes this.
  6. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

With my limited experience with tubes, I find that the synergy of the amp/tube/personal preference is not always achieved with a more expensive tube.

7. labreahouse

Of course I'm tempted to try a cheaper alternative like stock but 'better', but it could just lead to more tail chasing and deeper down the rabbit hole.

8. Andy Saunders

Got a JJ Electronic 5751 Gold Pin in the window position now, sounds very nice indeed for not a lot of wonga- can use more of the volume knob when the amplifier is driving the Audionote ANK/LX.:)

All the JJ's tried in the window position have sounded superb, musical and great VFM, the latest candidate 5751 Gold pin sounds very refined.:)

labreahouse likes this.
  9. labreahouse

Sorry for the cross-post @Andy Saunders but wanted our Vincent people to hear about the new JJ E83CC here too...

I emailed my local JJ distributor about the differences between the gold pin ECC803S and the gold pin ECC83S and they actually recommended JJ’s new E83CC for what I was looking for in sound characteristics. They said uses the same short plate structure as the ECC83S but it’s built with a frame grid. Compared to the stock ECC83S, which I thought was a fine tube, "This provides a similarly even handed sound but with more detail from top to bottom. This may provide the warmth you like from the ECC83S while retaining a bit more detail/nuance."

After a week of dedicated listening, I'd agree with that description. Definitely an overall warmer and pronounced sound, soundstage not as open and airy as the Brimar, more linear for sure, but a great combo with the NOS Telefunken in my phono stage. A more linear, natural sound that just works better with my speakers. For $25, I'd absolutely recommend this tube. Very helpful customer service for such a low cost item as well, plenty of good info on their products too. I'll likely sell my NOS Brimar, it's a rare and fantastic tube, and deserves a good home. It will work well in someone else's system for sure.

SandAndGlass and Andy Saunders like this.
  10. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info on the JJ E83CC, I ordered one today to try in my SV 237MK

moops, Andy Saunders and labreahouse like this.
  11. Andy Saunders

Looking forward to your thoughts Sir.:)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  12. rockin_since_58

I've been running the E83CC Frame Grid for about 6 hours now and am very impressed. The overall sound has more detail and punch. The bass is much more controlled. It is also much quieter when nothing is playing. When I put my ear up to the tweeter at listening level with nothing playing, the system noise/hiss is barely audible.

I had been running a 1950's RCA Long Black Plate for the past year and a half or so. I am liking the new JJ better and it is 1/4 the price of the RCA. Of course the RCA has a lot of hours on it so that could be part of the equation.

I would recommend anyone that has a need for a 12AX7 give these a go. I plan to buy a couple more as spares.

moops, Andy Saunders and labreahouse like this.
  13. Andy Saunders

Marc, was that the Gold Pin version or vanilla version?

14. rockin_since_58

It is the plain Jane vanilla version. I didn't know there was a gold pin version.

15. labreahouse

I don't think JJ makes a Gold Pin version of the E83CC. I got the 'balanced' version though since it's used for 2 channels, if that helps.

16. Andy Saunders

JJ Electronic E83CC in situ in the window position and performing very well indeed, very detailed, nice fluid and deep soundstage and a very controlled bass, with lovely layering of instruments ( which sound more real than before) last valve was a JJ Electronic 5751 Gold Pin which was nice as well, liked all the JJ electronic valves that have been in the Vinny- the E83CC is best so far, and it costs buttons in Hifi terms.:D:edthumbs:

labreahouse likes this.
  17. mahoganydeck

mahoganydeck Member

Hi @Andy Saunders just saw this. I'm wondering if the supplier you've contacted was Watford? I just called them today about my 12AU7s and was really surprised he pushed me to go for the lowest cost JJ ECC82. He claims that all brands are made in China/Russia and are the same tube but just have different branding but they are essentially the same and people just pay for the marketing. He said that the Slovakian JJs will help smoothing out the top harshness and filling up the mid-bass on my LineMagnetic which I used to drive a pair of Klipsch Fortes. Was just wondering if you had a similar experience!

Andy Saunders and labreahouse like this.
  18. rockin_since_58

Hey Andy,

Glad you had similar results as myself. It is a steal for the price. I paid 4 times as much for the 1950's RCA :(

Andy Saunders and labreahouse like this.
  19. moops

moops Senior Member

20. moops

moops Senior Member

I've switched the new production Mullard 12AX7 ECC83 back in after returning to the stock Shuguang for a few weeks, and yeah, though the Shuguang was fine, this Mullard just has a little more weight with it, guitars seem to have just a hint more warmth or a fuzzy goodness to them, with just a little roll off on the top, which suits my playback.

Good thing is though, we're spoilt for choice either way, new production or NOS.

:edthumbs:

21. rockin_since_58

22. moops

moops Senior Member

It is different, sorry, my mistake.

E83CC versus 12AX7 comparison

:wave:

labreahouse likes this.
  23. rockin_since_58

No problem at all. If you have any gear that uses a 12AX7, you should get the E83CC and give it a try. There many reviews across the internet praising it.

24. Andy Saunders

Been listening to the amp with the JJ Electronic E83CC and it is a great sounding valve! Very smooth and very, very lifelike- loving it these will be going in my phono stage shortly as well- amazing VFM- well done JJ this valve is superior to every valve l have tried in the window position.:cool:

labreahouse likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

Glad to hear you are enjoying it...